Conference Championship GDT - Packers at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not going to lie. There is a weird sense of....I don't know...satisfaction, I guess, about the fact that we took Smith over him in the draft, he has carried this chip on his shoulder throughout his entire nfl career, taking it out on everyone, etc (and obviously, he has his ring, so he got his and proved everyone who passed on him wrong, including us). But if he loses this game, he will be 0-3 against us in his career in the post season, the most losses against any one team in his post season career (currently has 2 losses against us and Arizona)  and we are the team he should be the most angry at and the team most responsible for that chip he's carrying around. 

Its especially fitting because we are 14-1 against Favre in his career with the one win being the Catch II. When I was a kid, the packers ended our season every year it felt like. 

Only fitting that the guy that replaces Favre has a bad record against us. The world is circular. Life is a loop. 

EDIT: POST #5,000 since we joined the new forum!

Edited by N4L
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

Its especially fitting because we are 14-1 against Favre in his career with the one win being the Catch II. When I was a kid, the packers ended our season every year it felt like. 

Only fitting that the guy that replaces Favre has a bad record against us. The world is circular. Life is a loop. 

He’s beaten us every time we have been bad but has not beaten us when we have a good team. 4-0 from 12-13 against him and then beat him this season. Rodgers beat us in 2015, 2018, and I believe when Troy Smith was at QB. 

We only beat Favre once when he was with GB, but beat him when he was on the Jets! For him to only rip our hearts out the following season in Minnesota! 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

He’s beaten us every time we have been bad but has not beaten us when we have a good team. 4-0 from 12-13 against him and then beat him this season. Rodgers beat us in 2015, 2018, and I believe when Troy Smith was at QB. 

We only beat Favre once when he was with GB, but beat him when he was on the Jets! For him to only rip our hearts out the following season in Minnesota! 

ahhhh I forgot about that Jets game! So 2-14 then against him

I saw him on the NFL 100 QB sit down and he brought up that moment. I remember getting stunned by that. werent we up 10 or something with like 4 minutes left? didnt they get an onside kick or some weird second chance right before that throw?

Justs coming over to wish you all good luck. I totally expect the packers to lose, you guys match up better just about everywhere. For the Packers to somehow pull this out, they'd have to play perfect and the niners would have to play not perfect. No one expected the packers or the niners to be this far since they both had losing records last year.

SF - 28

GB - 13

11 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

I'm not going to leak this to Matt Lafleur but for match up sake I want to know what GB is going to have to do to beat SF. You guys know SF best so how would YOU beat your offense and defense?

Our defense takes away most of the deep stuff and struggles with the underneath stuff. With the pass rush and Alexander back that weakness already is lessened. The most important thing is patience and chipping away with those 3 to 4 yard gains. 

For ou Offense its being really disciplined and mostly taking away the middle of the field. Jimmy has his moments where he just blatently misses a linebacker in coverage and throws it straight at him. Otherwise its really a changingway of playing from week to week. Our interior O-line and McGlinchey aren't the best at pass blocking but they also never really get exposed because of the Quick release and Shanahan scheming guys open most of the time. Our offense in general is a lot of the same looks turning in different things with a lot of motion which take a lot of discipline to be sound.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

I'm not going to leak this to Matt Lafleur but for match up sake I want to know what GB is going to have to do to beat SF. You guys know SF best so how would YOU beat your offense and defense?

Offensively, will need to get Jones going and work in a lot of quick hitters. When the corners are playing off man in zone, that's where you can get the screen game going. It also takes the DL out of the game. This DL was SUPER deep and special when everyone was healthy, but there is no depth remaining with all the injuries. If Adams is singled up against Moseley, I would take a few deep shots. Jones was able to use his size against him and Diggs would have had a long completion over him had Ward not made a great play. One thing going for GB is that the starting bookends could block Bosa/Ford without much help. Then you can double one of the interior DL and neutralize the Niners pass rush. 

Defensively, you probably want to double Kittle or always have two on him like Minnesota did and rely on the corners to play man coverage, preferably press man coverage. Alexander on either Sanders or Samuel and King on the other. Not exactly ideal to leave King one on one, but you have to take Kittle out first and foremost. If you are in zone, want to drop your backers in the middle of the field and make it difficult on Jimmy as that is where he likes going with the ball. Give up the underneath stuff as Jimmy doesn't check it down nearly as much as other QBs. The Smith brothers and Clark have to win their match ups and wreck havoc in the backfield. If Jimmy has time to throw, good chance he will find someone open and it will be a long day for the Packers defense. The Vikings early in the game played a lot of single high and Jimmy picked them apart and then when they went to their two man look, Shanny called nothing but run plays the rest of the game. If the Packers aren't in a deficit early in the game, then it's hard to just run the ball like that. Getting off to a hot start is key for the Packers. 

So there are pathways to victory for GB. Have the OL hold up against the Niners pass rush, get off to a quick start and take Kittle out of the game. I expect the Niners to win, but this game should be more competitive than the first meeting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

I think if they were to play the Chiefs it would be closer than people think no?

I mean I don't think many would pick a blowout one way or another in that game. We have lost three games this season that have all come down to the last 10 seconds. If we lose, I'm guessing it will be another late game loss. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, N4L said:

EDIT: POST #5,000 since we joined the new forum!

Jesus 14-1! That's bad. 

• Like 1

Packers come into this game the less talented team and IIRC Bulaga left last night's game and Preston Smith got banged up late. There are just too many things against the Packers in this game for them to have a legit shot. The Niners have an extra day of rest and really an extra day or 2 or preparation. Shanahan was able to start game planning last night when it ended, while GB wont start until today at it's earliest. The defense will wreck this game again. Rodgers is going to be Rodgers. The Packers have been their best when they utilize Jones, but that will be taken away and the Rodgers will be forced to do it alone. While he is capable, he loves to hold the ball and move it down field. That will be a recipe for disaster. I see another 5+ sack game and a couple of turnovers. Rodgers will not throw at Sherman as he has shown over his entire career. Jimmy Graham will be a non factor and the Niners offense is going to go up and down the field on the Packers defense. Kittle will again be the focus of the defense, but it wont matter. They just are not a disciplined enough defense when Kyle gets in his bag. 

Niners win 34-13

9 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Packers come into this game the less talented team and IIRC Bulaga left last night's game and Preston Smith got banged up late. There are just too many things against the Packers in this game for them to have a legit shot. The Niners have an extra day of rest and really an extra day or 2 or preparation. Shanahan was able to start game planning last night when it ended, while GB wont start until today at it's earliest. The defense will wreck this game again. Rodgers is going to be Rodgers. The Packers have been their best when they utilize Jones, but that will be taken away and the Rodgers will be forced to do it alone. While he is capable, he loves to hold the ball and move it down field. That will be a recipe for disaster. I see another 5+ sack game and a couple of turnovers. Rodgers will not throw at Sherman as he has shown over his entire career. Jimmy Graham will be a non factor and the Niners offense is going to go up and down the field on the Packers defense. Kittle will again be the focus of the defense, but it wont matter. They just are not a disciplined enough defense when Kyle gets in his bag. 

Niners win 34-13

Bulaga was out last night with an illness, but he will be back and ready to go against SF. Important to note that he got knocked out of the regular season match-up on the 1st drive. He is a key to our O success and has been our best lineman this season. Rodgers was lookin better than he has the majority of the season last night. You are right about all of this though. We probably shouldnt even show up tbh. The only thing youre wrong about is the final score.

Niners win 49-16

• Like 2