Adam Zimmer & Andre Patterson Named Co-Defensive Coordinators (pg.5)

.Buzz

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

It's often hard to separate the two.....I'm not saying he's not qualified, but to say it has no influence is silliness. Just look at the long list of companies that go out of business because the heirs have no idea what they are really doing. 

Luckily he's worked for his dad's company and has had good results. 

I'm sure that there is a list of companies that failed after a transition even if it doesn't get taken over by the kid.

I didn't say that it had no influence

14 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Of course there is....but then why downplay that is part of what is going on? 

I'm not downplaying it.  I think it's completely irrelevant.  Adam Zimmer has done a good job with the LBs and has been around long enough to deserve a promotion.  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 6:06 PM, Hyperborean said:

I don't have a problem with Adam Zimmer being DC.  I'm more concerned with the Co-DC tag existing at all.  But you know what, I don't know diddly about the situation in all honesty.  This may work so well, the rest of the NFL will be copying the concept soon.  

We ALL know that Papa Zimmer is going to make all the top-level decisions on defence, and so his having co-coordinators simply means that he will have two totally loyal assistants carrying out his instructions the way he wants things done, and not trying to take too much initiative to do things their own way (which would have had much more potential for occurring if he had hired a highly experienced, well-established NFL-level defensive coordinator.

I don't think too many of us have a problem with Zimmer concentrating his own detailed efforts on The Team's defence, as long as he lets Kubiak run the offence without interference.

Edited by Robb_K

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

No one has said that it has no influence. But it’s even more silly to overlook, or ignore, what Adam Zimmer has accomplished as this team’s LB coach just because he’s also the coach’s son. 

I've not done that. And yes, posters here did downplay the relationship, IMO. Either way, it's over now, and we'll see how it goes. 

58 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

We ALL know that Papa Zimmer is going to make all the top-level decisions on defence, and so his having co-coordinators simply means that he will have two totally loyal assistants carrying out his instructions the way he wants things done, and not trying to take too much initiate to do things their own way (which would have had much more potential for occurring if he had hired a highly experienced, well-established NFL-level defensive coordinator.

I don't think too many of us have a problem with Zimmer concentrating his own detailed efforts on The Team's defence, as long as he lets Kubiak run the offence without interference.

I never noticed the way you spelled "offence" until now.

That's a UK thing, right?

9 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Canadian, too.  Spelling in Canadian English lies somewhere between U.S. and British English.   I grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba in the 1940s through early '60s.  I'm a Vikings fan because The Vikings were the closest NFL team to us, and we, being near the border, have also gotten US TV since the end of the '60s/early '70s.  I was a big Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) fan.  And Bud Grant was our coach for many years (the longest run-he's a CFL Hall-of fame Coach).  He also led us to several Grey Cup wins.  So, I HAD to be a Vikings fan!  I've seen 6 Vikings' games live (all in the 1960s).  You didn't notice Manitoba's Provincial flag on the bottom of my posts?

I live in The Netherlands, and there, when we write in English, we use British English.  But, mainly, I just use Canadian spellings, grammar (old-fashioned, as I grew up with 1930s language), and everybody still understands enough.  I do spend December and January in Winnipeg.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Robb_K said:

Canadian, too.  Spelling in Canadian English lies somewhere between U.S. and British English.   I grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba in the 1940s through early '60s.  I'm a Vikings fan because The Vikings were the closest NFL team to us, and we, being near the border, have also gotten US TV since the end of the '60s/early '70s.  I was a big Winnipeg Blue Bombers (CFL) fan.  And Bud Grant was our coach for many years (the longest run-he's a CFL Hall-of fame Coach).  He also led us to several Grey Cup wins.  So, I HAD to be a Vikings fan!  I've seen 6 Vikings' games live (all in the 1960s).  You didn't notice Manitoba's Provincial flag on the bottom of my posts?

I live in The Netherlands, and there, when we write in English, we use British English.  But, mainly, I just use Canadian spellings, grammar (old-fashioned, as I grew up with 1930s language), and everybody still understands enough.  I do spend December and January in Winnipeg.

Very cool. I'm on my phone so I don't see your signature. 

I hope you get to see our Vikings win a Superbowl sometime soon!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Very cool. I'm on my phone so I don't see your signature. 

I hope you get to see our Vikings win a Superbowl sometime soon!!

Thanks!  I hope so for ALL our sakes.  Such devotion through the years deserves good results.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 1:32 PM, SteelKing728 said:

there's also practise/practice. both are used in UK english with practise being used for the verb and practice when it's a noun.

do americans get thrown off when they see canadians/brits spell -or words with -our? like rigor vs. rigour, neighbor vs. neighbour, etc.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 3:51 PM, SemperFeist said:

I will admit that with all of the coaching moves being basically in-house moves, many of which with inexperienced coaches, it’s very telling on Zimmer’s prospects of getting a new deal before the season. 

I would not call these hidings/promotions a ringing endorsement for Zimmer’s future with the team. 

I've loved the Mike Zimmer era, but I think it will be coming to an end after the 2020 season.  I actually think we might have been better off cleaning house now, but we will have to just wait and see how they do for the last year on Kirk's contract.  

On 1/27/2020 at 6:00 PM, PrplChilPill said:

No excuses on the coaching staff this year......the leaders were all here last year, and Zimmer chose them.....no coaching excuses this year.

I've finally come over to your side of things.  As much as I love Zim, I just don't think he is going to get it done doing it his way.  I wouldn't mind seeing us get rid of some of the older players and find a way to get a quality rookie QB and build a decent offensive line for the first time in a number of years.  I'm not sure if you agree with the QB thing, but that's what I'd do.  What changes would you like to see them make, PCP?

On 2/1/2020 at 5:42 PM, Uncle Buck said:

I've finally come over to your side of things.  As much as I love Zim, I just don't think he is going to get it done doing it his way.  I wouldn't mind seeing us get rid of some of the older players and find a way to get a quality rookie QB and build a decent offensive line for the first time in a number of years.  I'm not sure if you agree with the QB thing, but that's what I'd do.  What changes would you like to see them make, PCP?

I've said before, I don't know how to fix this ageing roster. I'll have to give it thought.