Adam Zimmer & Andre Patterson Named Co-Defensive Coordinators (pg.5)

.Buzz

On 1/25/2020 at 10:08 AM, CriminalMind said:

Zim finally giving up defensive calling duties to his son ... Honestly that sounds bad.

I wonder if Edwards realized he had reached his ceiling in this organization.

Probably.  A fresh start really helps sometimes.  I'm kinda glad there will be a little change to the staff, and I wouldn't mind seeing an outside face or two still.  Keep things from getting stale.

I wonder if Terrence Newman might become an assistant in some capacity sometime.  I know Zimmer knows his number :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hyperborean said:

Probably.  A fresh start really helps sometimes.  I'm kinda glad there will be a little change to the staff, and I wouldn't mind seeing an outside face or two still.  Keep things from getting stale.

I wonder if Terrence Newman might become an assistant in some capacity sometime.  I know Zimmer knows his number :)

I think Newman learned rather quickly that coaching was not for him.  It's why he left after 1 season of coaching.  

And in answer to @VikeManDan, no...this is rather unique at the NFL level.  It happens frequently at the college level, but not usually in the NFL.  But, as I told someone here at work, since Zimmer will call the plays, it's not really that big of a deal.  Adam and Andre will just develop the game-plan together and then Mike will oversee it and call the plays.  I imagine one of them will eventually take the step ahead of the other and take more responsibility, but initially, this is probably the best call.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And in answer to @VikeManDan, no...this is rather unique at the NFL level.  It happens frequently at the college level, but not usually in the NFL.  But, as I told someone here at work, since Zimmer will call the plays, it's not really that big of a deal.  Adam and Andre will just develop the game-plan together and then Mike will oversee it and call the plays.  I imagine one of them will eventually take the step ahead of the other and take more responsibility, but initially, this is probably the best call.  

Gee...what could possibly go wrong with this idea?

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

With Zimmer still the driving force behind the defense, how do you think this remotely changes things? Other than two position coaches getting a new title and likely bump in pay. 

I agree.  I don't think of it as largely different than what has happened, except that there's now less people in the room.  I expect that Patterson will game-plan the run defense and Zimmer will game-plan the pass defense and then elder Zimmer will call the plays.  

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I agree.  I don't think of it as largely different than what has happened, except that there's now less people in the room.  I expect that Patterson will game-plan the run defense and Zimmer will game-plan the pass defense and then elder Zimmer will call the plays.  

I will admit that with all of the coaching moves being basically in-house moves, many of which with inexperienced coaches, it’s very telling on Zimmer’s prospects of getting a new deal before the season. 

I would not call these hidings/promotions a ringing endorsement for Zimmer’s future with the team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I will admit that with all of the coaching moves being basically in-house moves, many of which with inexperienced coaches, it’s very telling on Zimmer’s prospects of getting a new deal before the season. 

I would not call these hidings/promotions a ringing endorsement for Zimmer’s future with the team. 

No, certainly not necessarily an endorsement, but we have no idea...maybe they just felt it was time for the underlings to be given more responsibility.  Adam doesn't have a large position group to begin with and Andre has an experienced assistant in Robert Rodriguez to help, so I don't think there is going to be a huge effect.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

No, certainly not necessarily an endorsement, but we have no idea...maybe they just felt it was time for the underlings to be given more responsibility.  Adam doesn't have a large position group to begin with and Andre has an experienced assistant in Robert Rodriguez to help, so I don't think there is going to be a huge effect.  

Maybe, but it’s a massive change in what they’ve done in the past. And the lack of adding any outside, experienced coaches is also telling. Bringing in experienced coaches has always been something that Zimmer has done. 

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Maybe, but it’s a massive change in what they’ve done in the past. And the lack of adding any outside, experienced coaches is also telling. Bringing in experienced coaches has always been something that Zimmer has done. 

Well, in this case, since this will be the 7th year that Patterson and Adam Zimmer will be in this system, they are now the experienced ones.  I think someone said it best that with the DB room, since they appeared to drop off, it probably was just time for a different voice there.  There was no such drop-off from either the D-Line or the LB rooms.  We'll have to see what else happens with the DB room, considering that Gray's assistant DBs coach has also left.  I'm sure they'll be adding an assistant for Jones.    

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Most of the experienced coaches have been brought in on offense haven't they?

The defensive staff has been pretty stable.