Adam Zimmer & Andre Patterson Named Co-Defensive Coordinators (pg.5)

.Buzz

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Most of the experienced coaches have been brought in on offense haven't they?

The defensive staff has been pretty stable.

This is the first year that we’ve seen any changes in the defensive coaching staff. But when Zimmer was first hired, all of the position coaches that he brought in, except for his son, were long time, very experienced coaches. 

And while I don’t have an issue with promoting Adam Zimmer and Patterson, although it’s a bit unorthodox, it’s the hiring of Jones that strikes me as being odd. We let one of the most experienced and well respected DB coaches in Gray leave, and replaced him with young, fairly inexperienced coach who hasn’t had a great track record. And that veers from the norm that we’ve seen from Zimmer when he’s replaced coaches. All of the coaches that Zimmer has hired from outside the organization have been well respected veteran coaches with tons of experience, and long, successful resumes.

Edited by SemperFeist

It is kind of odd, but I'm fairly confident that he came in by recommendation from Marvin Lewis (who first hired him in Cincinnati).  He does have a lot of experience at the different levels of football, just not necessarily a lot in the NFL, but this is certainly going to be the best team he's coached for in the NFL (as his previous 2 stops were Miami and Cincinnati).  

I'm pretty against the new defensive set up... I think they should have given it to Patterson. Making it co-coordinator with Adam Zimmer, diminishes both authority.

But if Mike Zimmer wants to get his son experience he can use in a future role on another team (if he is not in a future coaching position), then this was a strategic choice.

Edited by CriminalMind

12 hours ago, Hyperborean said:

It's the triangle of defensive authority.  :/

I think that you nailed it.  The danger is that defensive players are hearing from too many voices who have "authority."  I think that having a single defensive coordinator that puts in the schemes each week, should also be the one who calls the defensive plays on game day.  AND, it should not be the head coach.

The head coach should have a voice in developing game plans in all three phases in the game, should be the one to make final roster decisions for the upcoming game, and should be the clock manager, and final decision maker (kicking on side, challenging a ref's call, going for it on 4th down, etc...).

25 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I'm pretty against the new defensive set up... I think they should have given it to Patterson. Making it co-coordinator with Adam Zimmer, diminishes both authority.

But if Mike Zimmer wants to get his son experience he can use in a future role on another team (if he is not in a future coaching position), then this was a strategic choice.

From what it said in previous reports, Patterson was never looking to become a Coordinator again. Maybe this was just one way to talk him into it.

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

I think that you nailed it.  The danger is that defensive players are hearing from too many voices who have "authority."  I think that having a single defensive coordinator that puts in the schemes each week, should also be the one who calls the defensive plays on game day.  AND, it should not be the head coach.

The head coach should have a voice in developing game plans in all three phases in the game, should be the one to make final roster decisions for the upcoming game, and should be the clock manager, and final decision maker (kicking on side, challenging a ref's call, going for it on 4th down, etc...).

It hasn't been that way for 6 years

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Zimmer is the defensive coordinator. I don’t understand why they even give the title to anyone else, let alone two people, including his own son. 

Not many teams go without a coordinator even if the head coach is basically the coordinator

6 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

It hasn't been that way for 6 years

I know.  I think Zimmer's effectiveness is limited on game day because he's calling the defense.