Adam Zimmer & Andre Patterson Named Co-Defensive Coordinators (pg.5)

.Buzz

Mike Zimmer is in charge of the defense. And until he’s no longer the head coach, there’s no questioning that. So I don’t know why some are trying to speculate on the structure of authority. Mike Zimmer is the authority. 

I also think people trying to attribute Adam Zimmer’s promotion to being the head coach’s son are being short minded. The job that Adam Zimmer has done with the linebacker group is as good of a job as any LB coach, and worthy of a DC job. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I know.  I think Zimmer's effectiveness is limited on game day because he's calling the defense.

It's somewhere in the neighborhood of half of the head coaches in the league call plays.  I don't think it's that huge of a problem, there isn't a whole lot he could do on the offensive side of the ball anyway other than give his opinion on how they want to attack it.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's somewhere in the neighborhood of half of the head coaches in the league call plays.  I don't think it's that huge of a problem, there isn't a whole lot he could do on the offensive side of the ball anyway other than give his opinion on how they want to attack it.  

Calling the plays isn’t a problem if you’re good at managing the rest of the game. Which Zimmer has struggled with during his tenure. Poor situational awareness, poor clock management, bad timeouts taken, bad challenges, etc have all been significant criticisms of Zimmer. Criticisms that he really hasn’t improved upon. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Calling the plays isn’t a problem if you’re good at managing the rest of the game. Which Zimmer has struggled with during his tenure. Poor situational awareness, poor clock management, bad timeouts taken, bad challenges, etc have all been significant criticisms of Zimmer. Criticisms that he really hasn’t improved upon. 

Neither has Andy Reid, and he's been a HC for 20 years and is now in the Super Bowl.  Even Chiefs' fans will tell you that he still makes mind-numbingly dumb decisions (especially regarding the play clock).   It's a criticism certainly, but it's not a huge impediment.

Edited by swede700

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Neither has Andy Reid, and he's been a HC for 20 years and is now in the Super Bowl.  Even Chiefs' fans will tell you that he still makes mind-numbingly dumb decisions (especially regarding the play clock).   It's a criticism certainly, but it's not a huge impediment.

Reid has also never won a super bowl despite a 20 year career. 

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Mike Zimmer is in charge of the defense. And until he’s no longer the head coach, there’s no questioning that. So I don’t know why some are trying to speculate on the structure of authority. Mike Zimmer is the authority. 

I also think people trying to attribute Adam Zimmer’s promotion to being the head coach’s son are being short minded. The job that Adam Zimmer has done with the linebacker group is as good of a job as any LB coach, and worthy of a DC job. 

Ya, it's just a coincidence that the coach's son is promoted. No nepotism in the Wilf organizations at all......Come on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Ya, it's just a coincidence that the coach's son is promoted. No nepotism in the Wilf organizations at all......Come on.

There's nepotism everywhere.  They aren't alone...For example, Stephen Belichick has been with Bill for 8 years...and his younger brother is also a coaching assistant with the Pats.  Hell, Stephen even called defensive plays last year while still being the secondary coach.  

13 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Did Kyle Shanahan ever work with his dad?

Absolutely, he spent 4 years with him in Washington.  Brian Schottenheimer spent many years with his dad Marty (in KC, Washington and San Diego...he was too young to have been with him in Cleveland ;) ).  It happens all the time, including in this Super Bowl, with Britt Reid being OLB coach for the Chiefs and has spent 7 years there with his dad.

Edited by swede700

50 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Nepotism isn’t always a bad thing. Lots of good coaches have gotten their start because of their family. 

Adam Zimmer has been the linebackers coach for a team that has had a top 10 scoring defense for 5 consecutive years. He’s had multiple players go to the pro bowl, saw Eric Kendricks get named a 1st team all pro, and has seen the development of mid rounders and undrafted players. But that’s not enough to get promoted because he’s the coach’s son? Com’on man!

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

There's nepotism everywhere.  They aren't alone...For example, Stephen Belichick has been with Bill for 8 years...and his younger brother is also a coaching assistant with the Pats.  Hell, Stephen even called defensive plays last year while still being the secondary coach.  

Of course there is....but then why downplay that is part of what is going on? 

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't see the big deal with a little bit of nepotism?

As long as he's qualified I don't see a problem

It's often hard to separate the two.....I'm not saying he's not qualified, but to say it has no influence is silliness. Just look at the long list of companies that go out of business because the heirs have no idea what they are really doing.