Adam Zimmer & Andre Patterson Named Co-Defensive Coordinators (pg.5)

.Buzz

On 2/3/2020 at 6:18 AM, swede700 said:

We should actually roll our eyes at ourselves, considering we probably changed it just out of our own bitterness towards the Brits.  :D;)

English language spellings make no sense in any case, as they are based on how the language was spoken from the year 800 A.D. through about 1100 A.D. or so, attempting to spell sounds that no longer exist in this language (gutterals, glottal stops, etc.).  How else can anyone explain "enough"???  It's utterly ridiculous that English official spellings are not changed to match the current sounds of the word.  Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, and many other European languages have had major spelling changes about every 100 years, or so.  We had the last one in Dutch, not long after I was born.  But, The British are very stubborn.  That is why they still drive on the left side of the road, climb up the left side of stairwells, want to measure things by the size of one of their ancient king's feet,  and weigh things based on the weight of an ancient stone, and why they still insist on spending tonnes of public monies on pomp related to a "royal family".  I won't get into The Netherlands having the first long-term modern republic, and then deciding to turn it into a "kingdom", and worse yet, bringing in a German family to receive it as a gift!  - Not supposed to talk politics here. 

I've taken us even more OT here - so I'll bring us back:

I hope The Vikings do a ridiculous amount of trading off of drastically and mildly "fading" veterans for LOTS of draft capital, which they parlay through shrewd dealing, into enough to trade up to the 2nd choice in this season's draft, and they take Tua.  They use their choices left to shore up the OL, DL and defensive backfield the best they can, filling holes with young players they already have, and grab as many young, talented fairly low cost athletes they can in free agency, and just play out next season with building the team for the future in mind, EVEN THOUGH, they are still stuck with Cousins' large contract and the need to build up the OL, and use the offence in a way to "hide" his weaknesses.  I would try to keep Dalvin Cook, AND Diggs, but not worry about losing Griffin, Waynes, Rhodes, and I'd hope that Harris might want to stay for a fair amount less than he could get on the open market.   I'd hope that young players like Hughes, Hill, Odenigbo, and the new draftees would help make the team more athletic, despite the likelihood they'd make more mistakes.  I'd realise that the chances would be low that next year's Vikings would be able to play on the level of the Top 4-5 NFL teams next season, but would accept that, knowing that the trap of trying to build the team around the dinosaur-style QB, Cousins, would be avoided, letting him walk in 2021, and building the team around a passing offence.  The Vikings, IF they are shrewd, hard-working, willing to spend more money on scouting and developing young players, may be able to transition to a new powerful lineup, over a 3-4 year period, on the fly, WITHOUT plummeting to the depths of the standings.

Edited by Robb_K
  • Like 1

I have no problem with the hires it's just more common in college. Zim is still calling the plays with more time on defense now since Gary is running the offense. Also, it's a reward for two coaches whose position groups have been the best on the team. Patterson gets the bump in pay and title (rumor he doesn't want to be a full-fledged DC). Adam takes the next step in being groom to eventually becoming a DC/HC. I do hope they convince Zimmer to be a little more aggressive in his playcalling sometimes.   

16 minutes ago, dc_vikingfan said:

I have no problem with the hires it's just more common in college. Zim is still calling the plays with more time on defense now since Gary is running the offense. Also, it's a reward for two coaches whose position groups have been the best on the team. Patterson gets the bump in pay and title (rumor he doesn't want to be a full-fledged DC). Adam takes the next step in being groom to eventually becoming a DC/HC. I do hope they convince Zimmer to be a little more aggressive in his playcalling sometimes.   

Hard to be aggressive when your CBs are trash.

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

This. 

The lack of an interior pass rush made our CBs look worse than they actually were. 

I don’t think that’s the case with Rhodes. He’s just bad. I don’t think he can be fixed. Waynes is okay at best, certainly could be better and maybe an interior pass rush would help him more. Same goes with Alexander. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

The regime change should have happened this year, if it was going to happen. And with this many assistant coaches leaving, it’s hard not to believe that the writing is on the wall. 

I would agree.  Especially with this kind of move, it seems that there is going to be some pressure, at the very least.  I thought that with Andre's promotion, it would sort of be a promotion for Rodriguez as well, but he must not have felt the same, especially if his contract wasn't going to last beyond this coming season as well.