Adam Zimmer & Andre Patterson Named Co-Defensive Coordinators (pg.5)

.Buzz

22 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If Mike Zimmer isn’t going to give up calling the defense, is there really any point to hiring or promoting someone to DC?

I’d probably say to help with at least gameplanning. Main reason I wouldn’t mind finding someone with some sort of experience. It’s not really any difference from hiring a OC when the head coach calls the plays on offense. Still need someone coordinating the players, not just calling plays.

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I’d probably say to help with at least gameplanning. Main reason I wouldn’t mind finding someone with some sort of experience. It’s not really any difference from hiring a OC when the head coach calls the plays on offense. Still need someone coordinating the players, not just calling plays.

Agreed.  Zimmer still needs someone to do the heavy lifting of creating the game-plan.  Zimmer only calls the plays because he's the best at doing so, he doesn't create the game-plan.  That's up to the coordinator.  

George has likely handled the gameplan install from week to week with Zimmer calling the plays and guiding the overall direction.  The Gopher used to do this under Mason... they had an offensive coordinator to handle the week to week minutiae, but then their QB coach called the plays on game day.

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Starting over. Not necessarily a bad strategy. 

Something happened in that DB room this past year. 

I do agree on that.  I imagine when coaches have been together as long as they have, it does bound to get a little stale.  In reference to Zimmer's comments during the presser, this might also mean the promotion of Jeff Howard to DBs coach, since he's been with the team for 7 years.  Or he could be promoted to LB coach (as he played as and coached LBs in college) to replace Adam Zimmer, if he gets the DC job.

With Gray leaving, the incumbent staff worthy of a promotion are Zimmer and Patterson. Patterson has been a DC four times over at this point in his three decade career, and I believe has stated he doesn’t wish to have that role again and instead enjoys the “teaching” involved with being a position coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

With Gray leaving, the incumbent staff worthy of a promotion are Zimmer and Patterson. Patterson has been a DC four times over at this point in his three decade career, and I believe has stated he doesn’t wish to have that role again and instead enjoys the “teaching” involved with being a position coach. 

We are so fortunate to have coach of Patterson's caliber.  He deserves a raise, at the very least, for taking mid-round picks and making them Pro Bowl level players (Griffen in the 4th round, Hunter in the 3rd).