free agents we should think about

J_E_T_$

if you could only have 1 free agent this year from another team  

24 members have voted

1. 1. if you could only have 1 free agent this year from another team

• WR - Amari Cooper - $22,500,000 5 yr to become highest paid WR in football
    • CB - Byron Jones - $15,500,000 5 yrs, best free agent CB get new highest amount for CB
    • EDGE - Jadeveon Clowney - $20,000,000 5 yr close to Frank Clark, Demarcus Lawrence contracts for last year, not at Khalil Mack level
    • EDGE - Yannick Ngakoue - $20,000,000 5 yr close to Frank Clark, Demarcus Lawrence contracts for last year, not at Khalil Mack level
    • G - Brandon Scherff - $16 mil passes Thuney to become highest paid guard
    • T - Jack Conklin - $16,000,000 in the Nate Soldier, Trent Brown range
    • G - Joe Thuney - $14.5 mil to be come the highest paid G for a minute
    • other

Below is a list of the BIG free agents that could help us.  I estimated the contracts based on player ratings and comparable salaries taking into account the rise in the salary cap.  Every year we have the new highest paid player at his position because of the increase of the cap not necessarily because of talent.  Best player at the right time.  If there is anyone you think I should add, let me know.

I would hope we re-sign the 2 of our own in green.  If we re-sign those 2 I would hope we could land 2 of the others listed with at least 1 being Thuney, Scherff or Conklin.  Im not high on C because I think we can get a serviceable C in the 3rd round and it would be way cheaper.

• CB - Brian Poole - $9 mil 4 years, same contract as Justin Coleman, last years best slot CB available
  • CB - Byron Jones - $15,500,000 5 yrs, best free agent CB get new highest amount for CB
  • EDGE - Jadeveon Clowney - $20,000,000 5 yr close to Frank Clark, Demarcus Lawrence contracts for last year, not at Khalil Mack level
  • EDGE - Yannick Ngakoue - $20,000,000 5 yr close to Frank Clark, Demarcus Lawrence contracts for last year, not at Khalil Mack level
  • EDGE - Bud Dupree - 
  • EDGE - Shaquil Barrett ------------------ I think these 3 will get in the $13-$18 mil range like Dee Ford, Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith
  • EDGE - Dante Fowler Jr. 
  • EDGE - Jordan Jenkins - $10-$12 mil - a step below the 3 listed above
  • G - Joe Thuney - $14.5 mil to be come the highest paid G for a minute
  • G - Brandon Scherff - $16 mil passes Thuney to become highest paid guard
  • T - Jack Conklin - $16,000,000 in the Nate Soldier, Trent Brown range
  • T - Halapoulivaati Vaitai - $7-$8 mil range
  • C - Connor McGovern - $9-$10 mil range like Matt paradise got last year
  • C - Graham Glasgow - $9-$10 mil range like Matt paradise got last year
  • WR - Amari Cooper - $22,500,000 5 yr to become highest paid WR in football
  • Like 2

Jack Conklin, Brandon Scherff and Joe Thuney are elite players in a position of need. Not sure if any of them actually hit FA... but they should hands down priority players for us if they do.

As for edge Dante Fowler Jr. and Bud Dupree are guys I think we might target.

I think w target a more vet CB on a cap friendly deal rather than splurge on that position. I think the same at WR.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Jack Conklin, Brandon Scherff and Joe Thuney are elite players in a position of need. Not sure if any of them actually hit FA... but they should hands down priority players for us if they do.

As for edge you left out a few good edges that might hit FA. Dante Fowler Jr. and Bud Dupree are guys I think we might target.

I think w target a more vet CB on a cap friendly deal rather than splurge on that position. I think the same at WR.

I think Thuney hits FA. I am not sure about Scherrf, could go either way. Conklin I doubt he does, idk why the Titans would allow a 25 yr old OT that they drafted round 1 hit FA.

THere are gonna be some good edges in FA, I would think it would be wise to spend big on a EDGE. Spend on the OL too. Then the draft attack WR and OL. I wouldn't spend big on a CB, I would try to find bargains because we have been burned too many times with CBs and they are so up and down. You can find bargains like we did with Poole. A good pass rush makes them play better too. 

Plus I want the Jets to keep Jamal Adams here long term, hes gonna get a big contract. Winning football teams invest on the OL and Pass rush. Think 49ers. Invested in that pass rush and OL, now they may end up winning the SB. 

Thank you for posting this. I'm willing to bet a lot of money we sign at least one of the players you mentioned in your pole. Also think you're evaluations are spot on (i.e. Graham Glasgow at $9-10m) - I think fans are still a little behind in terms of valuation because the consistent salary cap inflation, but there are so many ways to navigate the cap so that the figures fit within a team's budget - really just comes down to the guaranteed money in today's NFL. 

Keep in mind that one of the primary job functions as a Player Personnel executive is to scout the opponents, reason being: to kill two birds with one stone by adding the file to the team's pro free agency binder as well as to provide the coaches to use for evaluation purposes. As a VP of Player Personnel and GM, you spend more time reviewing/cross checking the reports created by your Pro Scout and/or interns rather than creating your own reports, but I think we should keep that in mind when circling players that Joe Douglas may target.

As both VPPP/PHI and GM/NYJ, Joe Douglas has had a ton of exposure to NFC East players (2 preseason, 22 regular season), New England Patriots players (1 preseason, 2 regular season, 1 Super Bowl), and Pittsburgh Steelers players (2 preseason, 2 regular season). Keep an eye on those 6 teams as primaries that he may look to pull from. 

Douglas spent the 2015 season/2016 NFL Draft as the Chicago Bears Director of College Scouting, so the primary players to keep an eye on that 2015 draft class/players they were rumored to have targeted.

Other important people to keep in mind: 

• Chad Alexander; Director of Player Personnel: Widely respected around the league as a top-tier evaluator. He and Joe Douglas spent 15 years together as scouts in Baltimore, and he became a prominent evaluation voice for the team regarding both pro and college players. Will have a ton of intel on the Ravens players that were acquired after Joe Douglas left in 2015.
  • Rex Hogan; Assistant GM: Hogan was a reputation hire for Douglas. I'm sure they crossed paths plenty of times, but something tells me that Douglas's first real affinity for Hogan began back in 2015, when with the Bears. Hogan had been a long time scout for the team, but left amid the regime change to take the Director of College Scouting role with us. Still, Douglas likely reviewed a ton of Hogan's reports that remained Bears property and must have been impressed. Hogan went on to become the VP of Player Personnel for the Colts from 2017-2018, so look for links with Colts players and AFC South players. 
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

Thank you for posting this. I'm willing to bet a lot of money we sign at least one of the players you mentioned in your pole. Also think you're evaluations are spot on (i.e. Graham Glasgow at $9-10m) - I think fans are still a little behind in terms of valuation because the consistent salary cap inflation, but there are so many ways to navigate the cap so that the figures fit within a team's budget - really just comes down to the guaranteed money in today's NFL. 

Keep in mind that one of the primary job functions as a Player Personnel executive is to scout the opponents, reason being: to kill two birds with one stone by adding the file to the team's pro free agency binder as well as to provide the coaches to use for evaluation purposes. As a VP of Player Personnel and GM, you spend more time reviewing/cross checking the reports created by your Pro Scout and/or interns rather than creating your own reports, but I think we should keep that in mind when circling players that Joe Douglas may target.

As both VPPP/PHI and GM/NYJ, Joe Douglas has had a ton of exposure to NFC East players (2 preseason, 22 regular season), New England Patriots players (1 preseason, 2 regular season, 1 Super Bowl), and Pittsburgh Steelers players (2 preseason, 2 regular season). Keep an eye on those 6 teams as primaries that he may look to pull from. 

Douglas spent the 2015 season/2016 NFL Draft as the Chicago Bears Director of College Scouting, so the primary players to keep an eye on that 2015 draft class/players they were rumored to have targeted.

Other important people to keep in mind: 

• Chad Alexander; Director of Player Personnel: Widely respected around the league as a top-tier evaluator. He and Joe Douglas spent 15 years together as scouts in Baltimore, and he became a prominent evaluation voice for the team regarding both pro and college players. Will have a ton of intel on the Ravens players that were acquired after Joe Douglas left in 2015.
  • Rex Hogan; Assistant GM: Hogan was a reputation hire for Douglas. I'm sure they crossed paths plenty of times, but something tells me that Douglas's first real affinity for Hogan began back in 2015, when with the Bears. Hogan had been a long time scout for the team, but left amid the regime change to take the Director of College Scouting role with us. Still, Douglas likely reviewed a ton of Hogan's reports that remained Bears property and must have been impressed. Hogan went on to become the VP of Player Personnel for the Colts from 2017-2018, so look for links with Colts players and AFC South players. 

I forgot how good of a personnel department JD put together. It makes me even more excited for this off-season to get under way.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mattmanz91 said:

I forgot how good of a personnel department JD put together. It makes me even more excited for this off-season to get under way.  

It truly is. Our whole scouting operation is littered with talented evaluators. Phil Savage is another quality addition, but I think his relationships will serve most valuable. Sitting as the Executive Director of the Senior Bowl from May 2012-May 2018, he had to have established a lot of close relationships with others in the community - especially college coaches/personnel - who won't BS him on prospects and will provide the real reports. 

As odd as it may sound, many in the league respect Gase's evaluation skill as well. He's known to be very detail-oriented and can identify what each position requires from a talent and intangible perspective to fit a specific role on the roster as a starter, backup, 3rd stringer, developmental player, etc. Those principals aid in terms of defining what player's capabilities are versus what they have to be able to do to hold a spot on the roster and for the team to be successful, and it makes it that much easier for the scouts to identify what they need to be looking for. This is where Todd Bowles struggled; he wasn't known for being overly specific in terms of what he needed from a big picture view, but was frustrated with the player's he was being provided. Recipe for a disaster on the development front. 

The combo of guys we have in place, I have a really good feeling going forward. With all that personnel clout, we're due to uncover a few gems on Day 2-3 and most importantly, there will be alignment. One of the biggest issues we've had since Idzik was hired was discord between personnel and coaching; this year they most certainly will be in lockstep with one another. 

• Like 4

I voted for Conklin, but my favorite is Yannick. A front 7 with him, Jenkins, Mosley, Williamson, Fatukasi, Williams, and McLendon is nasty. It's hard for me to pass that up, but we have to protect Sam and Bell. Next year's schedule will be tough schedule-wise and we can't afford to see Sam take a step back. 

I don't know enough about the individual O-linemen, but I'm always going to be concerned about Patriots OL looking better because of Scarnecchia and Brady.

What I really want is for us to get two guys next to each other (C/G or RG/RT) that are just powerful, effective run blockers. I'd give up a bit of pass protection skill for it. If we actually have a vaguely respectable run game, I think everything will get much better for us on offense.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

That's why when I see people mocking the jets front office I laugh because they have yet to make their mark.  Johnson threw money on revamping it.

We literally had the matt millen of gms with maccagnan who was obsessed with IDL. 

We should be better at drafting and roster building.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

It truly is. Our whole scouting operation is littered with talented evaluators. Phil Savage is another quality addition, but I think his relationships will serve most valuable. Sitting as the Executive Director of the Senior Bowl from May 2012-May 2018, he had to have established a lot of close relationships with others in the community - especially college coaches/personnel - who won't BS him on prospects and will provide the real reports. 

As odd as it may sound, many in the league respect Gase's evaluation skill as well. He's known to be very detail-oriented and can identify what each position requires from a talent and intangible perspective to fit a specific role on the roster as a starter, backup, 3rd stringer, developmental player, etc. Those principals aid in terms of defining what player's capabilities are versus what they have to be able to do to hold a spot on the roster and for the team to be successful, and it makes it that much easier for the scouts to identify what they need to be looking for. This is where Todd Bowles struggled; he wasn't known for being overly specific in terms of what he needed from a big picture view, but was frustrated with the player's he was being provided. Recipe for a disaster on the development front. 

The combo of guys we have in place, I have a really good feeling going forward. With all that personnel clout, we're due to uncover a few gems on Day 2-3 and most importantly, there will be alignment. One of the biggest issues we've had since Idzik was hired was discord between personnel and coaching; this year they most certainly will be in lockstep with one another. 

Yup, I read something on Bowles where he didn’t specify things with Macc and felt he could work with what he got.