2020 Stupidity Virus Outbreak

Pastor Dillon

I’m gonna leave coaching out of this discussion because we all know it’s the same ole same ole that will be back next year. 

speaking solely of the roster for next year, we have a TON of talent coming back. 

Our QB and 3 stud WRs should all be back. I’m a world where Fuller plays 14-15 games, this group could be amazing. 

RB is an interesting position. I like Johnson, but he’s not a featured back. Let’s be real, Hyde isn’t that special. He basically did what Lamar Miller has done. I’d let both go and draft a RB to pair with Johnson 

o-line should be a strength next season. Tunsil and Howard will be the bookends we’ve needed. We could probably save some cash by replacing Fulton but Scharping and Martin should have two spots nailed down. 

defense is where it gets interesting. 
d-line is fine as long as we lock up Reader and Watt returns healthy. 

linebacker is an area of concern. I like Martin and Mercilius and Cunningham is a beast but McKinney probably needs to go as a cap casualty. 

secondary is another big area of concern. Missing Addeae and Gibson against the Chiefs has not been talked about enough but it had a major impact on us. Roby was also terrible and I’m doubting he comes back. Hargreaves has to go as well because his deal is too rich. Leaves us with Conley and Johnson, so this position will definitely need an upgrade at some point. 

overall we have a solid roster. I think a better coaching staff would get to the AFC championship game with ease. 

Edited by Pastor Dillon
  • Like 1

Pass rusher has to be the primary search. Jadevion Clowney traded away showed up on this unit in a big way - Clowney didn't finish the plays with a sack, but he brought pressure and attention on the edge. Whitney Mercilius is not a guy you can rely on as a primary pass rusher.

In my universe, Yannick Ngakoue is the primary target in free agency - a relentless edge rusher who is probably very well suited for a 34 edge rusher. He wants a big money deal, so give him the money you had earmarked for Clowney.

I'm also in agreement that Berdnardrick McKinney is probably a liability for the defense. I doubt you'd get anything for him in a trade (certainly not a 2nd round pick) but if you can, get it. 

S is also a significant need. Justin Reid is a strong performer, Tashaun Gipson is very much needed to slow down TEs (as we saw yesterday) but our depth is just atrocious. I had thought Lonnie Johnson could fill into that spot as a S/CB hybrid, but... well, let's try to have a backup plan because Johnson might never be the same again after yesterday.

None of it will mean much, but it's a phyrric victory at least.

• Like 1

A couple of contracts to note. 

watt has a cap hit of 15.5 million with no dead money. This has to be a release or a restructure waiting to happen. I’d give watt a 3/30 deal with 20 guaranteed. Saves us money and gives him more security. I don’t see us cutting him and he doesn’t appear to be retiring. 

deandre Hopkins has a cap hit of 14 million with just 3 million dead money. No threat of a cut here but a restructure could free up some money. He’s got 3 years left but no guaranteed money. I’d try and lock him up for 5 years 60 million with 40 million guaranteed or something. Lower His cap hit this season and lock him up forever. 

Will Fuller has a cap hit of 10 million and zero dead money. That’s a big time salary for his production. I’d try and lock him up on a 4/30 million deal with 18 million guaranteed. It’s a huge risk, but it could be a huge bargain as well. If he’s unwilling, I’d look at trading him for a 2nd round pick 

Tunsil is a 10.35 million cap hit currently. Which actually helps us to resign him to a big deal because the cap hit to our free agent dollars won’t be the total cost of a new deal but the difference. He’s in line for something like 5/80 million. 

Vernon Hargreaves has a 10 million hit and no dead money. He has to be cut. He’s not worth that and we have so many holes to fill. 

zack Fulton has 7 million with no dead money and Kelemete has 3.5 with 750k dead money. we could easily cut both and use that near 10 million to replace Fulton   

kenny Stills is getting 7 million with no dead money  I suspect it’s either him or Fuller  

We can save 5 million by cutting McKinney but honestly I’m not sure it’s worth it since we aren’t replacing him for that  

Looking at our own free agents:

bradley Roby was beat like a drum against the chiefs but has been a real solid CB for us. I would like to bring him back but at a max of 9 million per year. 

DJ Reader is a guy we need to keep. He’s gonna probably get a 5/60 million deal but he’s so important to our team. 

those two are the big ones. We can’t go losing two of our best players on a defense that needs help. 

there are a number of other guys that should all command low salaries like 

hyde

miller

mccarron

Mingo 

dunn

Addae

Fells

I think in large part we will resign our own but I’m thinking Roby walks and we role with Conley/Johnson as our CBs. Hopefully if that’s the case we will sign a FA. 

Here's the honest to god fact that we need to realize, coaching is horrible, our GM sold our future for success this year and we have no first round draft picks until 2022.

Now that doesn't imply that we will struggle in the draft, a lot of great picks come after the first round but I don't trust in BoB to draft players that are good for the future (I remember reading that he was REALLY upset about not getting Dillard, look how that worked out?) and I also don't trust him to make good choices in FA. We have no first rounders so we need to rely on new starters in FA, we've got a lot of cap space even after we pay DW4 and Tunsil so I think, this is who we should target

Yannick Ngakoue

Chris Harris

James Bradberry

Anthony Harris

I feel lucky if we got even one of these, gonna be breaking the checkbook out. Which is the issue with FA, cause we have no picks!!! BoB!!!

3 hours ago, Drained said:

We have no first rounders so we need to rely on new starters in FA, we've got a lot of cap space even after we pay DW4 and Tunsil so I think, this is who we should target

Yannick Ngakoue

Chris Harris

James Bradberry

Anthony Harris

I feel lucky if we got even one of these, gonna be breaking the checkbook out. Which is the issue with FA, cause we have no picks!!! BoB!!!

I agree about Bradberry, but i legit think he heads to DC to reunite with Ron Rivera

While nothing has been done yet, I'm expecting RAC to retire soon. It's a way for him to leave while saving face, even though everyone knows he should be fired.

I don't have any sort of name to put out as a candidate (DL coach Anthony Weaver is probably the odds on favorite for the gig, which isn't exactly a good thing). This being said, I would like to see the following (with a FULL understanding that Weaver doesn't check either box):

- Someone outside the New England/Houston tree. I'm simply tired of trying to emulate a model that is contingent on two people (Brady/Belicheck) to make work. To follow this model, you need the greatest QB of all time and the greatest HC of all time, working in lockstep. I doubt the Texans have either (even of Watson works his way into that discussion).

- Someone who could take over as an interim head coach sometime next season. While we can't get rid of BoB right now, I am equating this loss to KC as BoB's Nick Anderson moment, or his Brad Lidge moment; A moment so horrendous, so embarrassing and destructive that the person simply cannot recover from it. Next season, I fully expect an 0-6 or 0-7 start for Houston, which will be impossible to ignore for Cal, as it'll impact revenue. None of the offensive staff will make it, so bring in a DC and hope for a late season surge (not like improving draft position is going to matter...)

Man I really don't want to think about next season... im excited to see how our GM tries to sign Watson to a mega deal, which definitely won't happen before Mahomes'. 

I can't even escape into baseball now. I might take up a hobby outside of sports. Thinking photography.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tab said:

I can't even escape into baseball now. I might take up a hobby outside of sports. Thinking photography.

I'm going to get into food. I got an Air Fryer for Christmas from my sister, and I have an Instant Pot, a slow cooker, my grill, etc.

I'm good at following recipes, but I want to be able to freestyle and make some great dishes on inspiration alone. I'd like to get to be as good as a few of those people who make Tasty videos...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

While nothing has been done yet, I'm expecting RAC to retire soon. It's a way for him to leave while saving face, even though everyone knows he should be fired.

I don't have any sort of name to put out as a candidate (DL coach Anthony Weaver is probably the odds on favorite for the gig, which isn't exactly a good thing). This being said, I would like to see the following (with a FULL understanding that Weaver doesn't check either box):

- Someone outside the New England/Houston tree. I'm simply tired of trying to emulate a model that is contingent on two people (Brady/Belicheck) to make work. To follow this model, you need the greatest QB of all time and the greatest HC of all time, working in lockstep. I doubt the Texans have either (even of Watson works his way into that discussion).

- Someone who could take over as an interim head coach sometime next season. While we can't get rid of BoB right now, I am equating this loss to KC as BoB's Nick Anderson moment, or his Brad Lidge moment; A moment so horrendous, so embarrassing and destructive that the person simply cannot recover from it. Next season, I fully expect an 0-6 or 0-7 start for Houston, which will be impossible to ignore for Cal, as it'll impact revenue. None of the offensive staff will make it, so bring in a DC and hope for a late season surge (not like improving draft position is going to matter...)

Save the pessimism for me

even I don’t think we are in danger of starting 0-6. We have a really good roster. I would even say it’s top 5-7 in the league. Talent will be there for us to win 8-11 games next year. 

we could easily bring the entire team back next season and if we would have had O-Line health and continuity, a healthy JJ Watt, Will Fuller for most of the season, we could have easily won 12 games. 

the talent is there. BOB is just terrible that game preparation, late game management and so on. He’s a solid offensive coordinator when he finally gets away from his “game plan”. 

im also not really buying into the Titans as being a legit power for years to come. They are hot right now but beat a patriots team that everyone knew was falling apart and they beat a ravens team that was overhyped. Once they get beat down by the chiefs, people will cool on them. 

i will say Vrabel is 10x the coach that BOB is. He’s the difference maker but talent wise, we are right there. 

• Like 1

Here’s some information. Taylor Lewan signed the largest tackle deal in the NFL at 5 years 80 million with 50 million guaranteed. That seems to be the price range Tunsil should be in, though his team knows we have little leverage. 

We’ve talked about Tunsils extension hitting into our cap space but look at the cap hit of all 5 years for Lewan:

11 - 13 - 18 - 14 - 15

those are not bank breaking numbers. I’m fact, it basically wouldn’t cost us a thing next year as his 5th year option is already on the books at 10 million. 

We would still have around 55 million in cap space. Watson’s deal will sting, but we can easily clear the 25 million hit he’s gonna be from releases and restructures. So we can still have plenty of money to spend this off season. There’s no reason we can’t sign two impactful free agents. Perhaps a guard and a CB or an edge rusher. 

• Like 1