The Oscars

RamRod

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Settle down, it was a joke.  I’m always interested in the Oscars.  They’re a great way to see which movie will be forgotten about in 5 years while the best movie probably wasn’t even nominated.  It’s always funny watching them get their own industry so wrong.  

My theory:

the Academy is made up of older voters, who are either out of the industry, or at least one foot out. They tend to default to the standard, 4-8 years prior to current. (When they where probably elbows deep in the industry). They might even have distain for ambivalence to the industry in its current form, so they rely investing in what they know. Its why the same 12 actors are nominated every year, and why the same types of movies get nominated every year. Also, there are so many release every year, they probably rely on curated selections, handpicked by people attached to major production companies, hence why many smaller, newer productions go unnoticed.

Then of coarse you have to consider the gross pocket greasing that goes on all year. The voters seem so easily swayed through wining and dining with industry plants and PR troglodytes. 

They have no connection to the pulse running through the industry nor the audience. 

Edited by animaltested

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Agreed, but there is plenty of Snub to go around here. Awkwafina, JLo, Greta, Sandler, to me are all better performances than atleast one other in their category

I get the JLo snub and Sandler was in a crowded category but the Akwafina and Gerwig ones were just horrible. No excuse for those two not to be nominated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Oscars?  You mean the Who Cares? 

I would if Ricky Gervais was hosting it. Instead, I typically look at what is nominated and then don't pay attention afterwards especially since I've already seen the annual "I'm not represented so I'm going to cry" headlines. I'm going to get my list of nominated movies, watch trailers, and see if I feel they're worth checking out. I enjoy movies too much to not pay attention but I hate the pretentious nature of most people in Hollywood enough to never watch. A good host could nullify that though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

A lot of justified flack the Academy gets could be alleviated if they just expanded the nominations to 7. It helped balance the Best Picture category, and there is literally no reason to NOT to do this. 

Golden Globes has more acting nominees since they do comedy/musical and drama separately and other shows have more nominees. I’m cool with the Oscars remaining a little more exclusive.

2 hours ago, animaltested said:

A lot of justified flack the Academy gets could be alleviated if they just expanded the nominations to 7. It helped balance the Best Picture category, and there is literally no reason to NOT to do this. 

Agreed, there are more "contenders" *(or atleast films trying to contend) for those awards every year now than there were 50 or so years ago.

The real problem is, most of the voting body started their careers in the industry 50 or so years ago, and until that is balanced out, we are still going to continue to see these predictable, unoriginal, and completely uninspired nominations

• Like 1

Also, as much as this is about awarding the achievements in Film for the year, its still a TV show at its core, and I still cant believe they are going at this thing again without a host.

The obvious answer is to get The Rock, he is the most universally loved person on the planet these days. And all I can think is they are waiting until they are at Defcon 1 to break that emergency glass (and drop that huge bag) to get him in there to draw the eyes.

The other super popular answer one would think of is Will Farrell. Award shows and quick 2-3 min bits are always where he shines. And he would be an easy one that you could roll back out there every year if you wanted to. Probably better deployed every few years though.

And the one who they should really hitch their wagon to is John Mulaney. He has proven that he can do it really well, he is more of a comedian and showman than what they have done in the past decade. He is the new age Billy Crystal, and he really could run it back out there for like 5 straight years. Give him a few on his own, team him up a few with the likes of Awkwafina or Tiffany Haddish, or whoever else is hot in that vein. 

But this year, of all years, how do you not look at what has happened in the last 2 decades of film, and say lets just get the entire cast of Endgame??? That way you dont have one single host, you can run your opening 5-10 min comedy bit with all of them, and then they are your intoducers to all of you presenters on top of that. It brings in double the stars on screen. One can be top notch starts with RDJ and Paltrow out there, and the next Chris Evans and Scarlett Johanssen, followed by Michael Douglas and Michelle Pfieffer, and eventually you run Pom Klementieff (Mantis) and Benedict Wong (Wong) out there and make the obvious joke. This was such a layup, and despite Marty's uniformed thoughts, its the perfect time to honor what they pulled off, because its never happened before, and its going to be very hard to ever do it again, even within the same Movieverse. Not to mention,. you would pull EVERY viewing age group to see all of their Favorite Superheros on screen again, but this time dressed to the nines in gorgeous dresses and fancy suits.

Edited by StLunatic88

The Oscars definitely should adapt. Too stuck in the past. I think what might help is to shift the tone of the Award from Hollywood self-felacio to more of a pure celebration of film. Add in some special nominees for new and fresh actors/directors [Like acknowledgements]. Accompany it with mash ups of performances and scenes from those nominees. Let the graphics team put together more packages of clips from a wide spectrum of movies (by genre) released that year [Those cutups are always really well done, do more, get viral]. Expand the foreign film category and have more categories (region based?). Do more to highlight great achievements from the past, while celebrating those doing the same in the moment.

I think they should do this since so many people use the Oscars as a resource to catch up on the previous year in movies. Nominations go along way in getting people to find those films and watch them. To stay relevant moving forward (with access to movies higher than its ever been) the Academy needs to branch out. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 3:22 PM, animaltested said:

The Oscars definitely should adapt. Too stuck in the past. I think what might help is to shift the tone of the Award from Hollywood self-felacio to more of a pure celebration of film. Add in some special nominees for new and fresh actors/directors [Like acknowledgements]. Accompany it with mash ups of performances and scenes from those nominees. Let the graphics team put together more packages of clips from a wide spectrum of movies (by genre) released that year [Those cutups are always really well done, do more, get viral]. Expand the foreign film category and have more categories (region based?). Do more to highlight great achievements from the past, while celebrating those doing the same in the moment.

I think they should do this since so many people use the Oscars as a resource to catch up on the previous year in movies. Nominations go along way in getting people to find those films and watch them. To stay relevant moving forward (with access to movies higher than its ever been) the Academy needs to branch out. 

Its pretty much the Drama awards

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i watched Marriage Story the other night....

the story was boring boring boring, as it was just so common. but the acting, however... was superb.

Love Adam driver, have since he was on Girls lol but couldn’t get through it

guess im rooting for tarentino because he was robbed a few times

There is no way Hollywood gives him an Oscar. That film wasnt woke enough. 

I presumed that Phoenix wouldn't have a chance since the Joker was misconstrued by some as an homage to the incel. But, since the Wendy Williams stuff I assume Hollywood will take its chance to make a point and give the award to the 'bullied' Joaquin. That way all the people eating kobe beef can feel like heroes. 

On a bit less whiny note, I watched Parasite and loved it. Definable oscar nomination worthy. I think the award should come down to it and Joker. 

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I presumed that Phoenix wouldn't have a chance since the Joker was misconstrued by some as an homage to the incel. But, since the Wendy Williams stuff I assume Hollywood will take its chance to make a point and give the award to the 'bullied' Joaquin. That way all the people eating kobe beef can feel like heroes. 

He was sweeping these awards before that.

• Like 1