lions sign Cory Undlin as their new defensive coordinator

flyguy1609

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

According to the NFL General forum, he began his coaching career with Patricia in 2004. An Eagles fan remarked that he took mediocre CBs and made them serviceable, and that he was beloved by his players.

For what it's worth.

In the NFL News forum Eagles fans are celebrating getting rid of him. 

For what it's worth.

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Another boring defense to come.  Does not mean it will not be effective enough to win but tired of boring defenses.

But I think if the players believe in the coach they will play harder so I do not hate the hire.  Just not impressed with it.

I wonder if some of that is the personnel. It's why I'm hoping we come away with an early round edge rusher... I'd like to see if Patricia is actually capable of creating havoc on defense.

On 1/13/2020 at 11:05 AM, detroitroar said:

Yeah I'm usually one of the more optimistic ones in here and even I cant get with this.

They better kill this offseason on the defensive side or I'm gonna be very worried about this year. 

lol sarcasm? cause this roster is hot doo doo. They wont rebuild until Stafford leaves. The Lions will never win a playoff game with Stafford starting. Maybe if he is on the other team we have a chance...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 9:36 AM, detfan782004 said:

Another boring defense to come.  Does not mean it will not be effective enough to win but tired of boring defenses.

But I think if the players believe in the coach they will play harder so I do not hate the hire.  Just not impressed with it.

I don't really care about boring offenses or defenses if they lead to W's. The problem is boring defense + L's. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I like that he states his defensive scheme needs to fit the players he has.  This hire still concerns me, but at least he says the right things.

Patricia mentioned something similar to this in an interview during this Senior Bowl week. That the defensive scheme is adapted to the players that they have, is multiple, etc. I do think that you need to be flexible and you want to put your best guys out there. At the same time, it sounds like there isn't an identity for the kind of defense that they want to be. Flexibility is good but sometimes if you're too flexible then there isn't the structure there to keep everything together. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Patricia mentioned something similar to this in an interview during this Senior Bowl week. That the defensive scheme is adapted to the players that they have, is multiple, etc. I do think that you need to be flexible and you want to put your best guys out there. At the same time, it sounds like there isn't an identity for the kind of defense that they want to be. Flexibility is good but sometimes if you're too flexible then there isn't the structure there to keep everything together. 

The quandre diggs saga proves that Patricia is not interested in forming his scheme to his players. He played diggs out of position all year. 

2 hours ago, HashtagFTW said:

The quandre diggs saga proves that Patricia is not interested in forming his scheme to his players. He played diggs out of position all year. 

Was he? All metrics I read made the argument that Diggs had been struggling significantly this year when on the Lions' roster. At $5.2M per year, I think they believed that trading him for anything was better than sticking with that contract and player.

• Like 1