How big is the gap between Mahomes and Watson/Jackson?

patriotsheatyan

Elite : Mahomes

Great : Wilson, Jackson*

Good and in their prime : Watson, Wentz, Prescott

Good but clock is ticking : Rodgers, Stafford, Ryan, Cousins

Young and promising : Allen, Jones, Murray*, Lock

Long in the tooth : Brees, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger

Young but meh : Trubisky, Darnold, Mayfield, Haskins, Minshew

Regrettable contracts : Foles, Goff, JimmyG, Carr

This is how I would categorize the NFL quarterbacks. Being stuck with a bad quarterback contract is the worst category to be in. 

* I question the long term sustainability of their play style

2 minutes ago, Gmen said:

This is how I would categorize the NFL quarterbacks. Being stuck with a bad quarterback contract is the worst category to be in. 

Wouldn’t really call Jimmy or Carr’s contracts regrettable. Carr can be cut and the Raiders would save $11M, $22M, and $20M in the next three years. The 49ers would save $18M, $26M, and $27M. The teams could pretty easily straight up cut either one if they actually wanted to.

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Wouldn’t really call Jimmy or Carr’s contracts regrettable. Carr can be cut and the Raiders would save $11M, $22M, and $20M in the next three years. The 49ers would save $18M, $26M, and $27M. The teams could pretty easily straight up cut either one if they actually wanted to.

They can, but they most likely won’t. They’re stuck in a quarterback purgatory. At least the teams of the older QBs can freely start pursuing their next quarterback. The Rams or 49ers won’t draft a quarterback early, even though they probably should. 

36 minutes ago, Gmen said:

They can, but they most likely won’t. They’re stuck in a quarterback purgatory. At least the teams of the older QBs can freely start pursuing their next quarterback. The Rams or 49ers won’t draft a quarterback early, even though they probably should. 

They can do anything. Mahomes was drafted behind Smith, Tannehill was signed behind Mariota, Murray was drafted right after Rosen, Jackson was drafted behind Flacco, etc. So if the teams can do whatever they want in finding a new quarterback and also dispose of their current guys without taking a hit in cap, I don’t see how that’s a regrettable contract. 

If those teams hate their quarterbacks and feel they can’t draft or acquire new ones, that’s on them. The contracts are pretty good.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 10:15 AM, Gmen said:

You don't think Russell Wilson is Elite? Or are you just putting Mahomes on another level. 

On 2/11/2020 at 1:15 PM, Gmen said:

Lmao how is Minshew “meh” but Jones is “promising”? 

IMO HUGE!!! Mahomes can straight sling the football around. He runs yes, but thats far from his bread and butter. Next I rank Watson. Jackson to me I think has another year or 2 of good football in him and than I think he declines. Runs WAY too much for it too last and he just doesn't have the arm talent to be a pocket passer at an elite level in the NFL. Thats not saying he still cant be a good starter. But far from an MVP type player. Where as I see Mahomes battling for the MVP for the next decade every year.

How is Daniel Jones in the young and promising section...

When Darnold, Mayfield, Haskins, and Minshew aren't?

And I like Daniel Jones.

16 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

How is Daniel Jones in the young and promising section...

When Darnold, Mayfield, Haskins, and Minshew aren't?

And I like Daniel Jones.

It’s my personal opinion. And yes I’m biased as a Giants fan. Daniel Jones had 4 incredible performances as a rookie. He needs to clean up a few things, but he showed he has a great arm, and he’s a top 10 athlete at the position. He has all the tools and the sky is the limit. Consistency should come with experience 

But I won’t get into a long debate in this thread

Edited by Gmen