2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

I thought I'd make this thread for all things NCAA player related talk as we look ahead to the 2018 draft while watching NCAA ball.

What really made me think of it is a unique situation that may arise that I don;t know a GM has faced before. Reggie will have to the chance to draft his son this year barring any injury or something unforeseen.

Reginald Kahlil McKenzie Jr. plays for Tennessee at DT/NT. #99 at 6'3 325 he is a big body and from what I'm seeing today, in their game vs Florida, he plays with good pad level and balance and gets good push. CBS had him as the #91 ranked draft prospect in the country pre-draft.

Could Reggie take a swing at his own son?

Would it be too troublesome dealing with nepotism and the added pressure?

Interesting things to think about. It's all moot if he doesn't play well but he looks solid early.

As far as Kahlil McKenzie goes, I'd pass on him if I was Reggie. Kid can play, no doubt, but I am of the thought that it just complicates things. People (i.e. some players/coaches) would always read it wrong no matter how objective RM would be about it. It definitely is an interesting conundrum though. I'm sure it's a conversation that they have already had one way or the other.

I think this makes for interesting conversation. Whether we like to believe it or not football is a family sport. Based off pre-season player ranking, it is clear that the younger McKenzie is graded out to be a draftable player in the NFL. The question is where and how/if he would fit. I think if he were drafted to soon or if he didn't fit in the scheme than one could claim nepotism.

Say Kahlil stays put  in the ranking and is available in the 3rd or 4th rounds. I thought we should have went DT much earlier this year, and even with Vanderdoes I still think  DT could be addressed in next years draft. The question is, does he fit our scheme. It's obviously to soon to announce what positions we should prioritize. But I don't think its out of the question.

It will definitely be interesting to watch how it plays out.

5 hours ago, R8DR8five said:

I think this makes for interesting conversation. Whether we like to believe it or not football is a family sport. Based off pre-season player ranking, it is clear that the younger McKenzie is graded out to be a draftable player in the NFL. The question is where and how/if he would fit. I think if he were drafted to soon or if he didn't fit in the scheme than one could claim nepotism.

Say Kahlil stays put  in the ranking and is available in the 3rd or 4th rounds. I thought we should have went DT much earlier this year, and even with Vanderdoes I still think  DT could be addressed in next years draft. The question is, does he fit our scheme. It's obviously to soon to announce what positions we should prioritize. But I don't think its out of the question.

It will definitely be interesting to watch how it plays out.

I agree with this, if he's a fit for the team why not take him? Not taking a player because of PR reasons is dumb. I mean look at Houston, they passed on Carr twice because of PR reasons. They take him and it's possible they go to the super bowl. I couldn't care less if he's Reggies son if he's applying pressure and stopping the run. Besides DT is one of shallowest spots on defense. 

Guys I like

1st/2nd round

WR Simmie Cobbs Jr. - Indiana

TE Troy Fumigali - Wisconsin

OT Martinas Rankin - Mississippi St.

OT Orlando Brown - Oklahoma

DE Bradley Chubb - N.C. State

LB Malik Jefferson - Texas

LB Matthew Thomas - Florida St.

CB Kevin Toliver - LSU

3rd/4th/5th round

QB Riley Ferguson - Memphis

RB Lavon Coleman - Washington

WR Allen Lazard - Iowa State

TE Mike Gesicki - Penn St.

DE Josh Sweat - Florida St.

DE Chad Thomas - Miami (FL)

LB Kendall Joseph - Clemson

LB Tegray Scales - Indiana

LB Skai Moore - South Carolina

LB Josey Jewell - Iowa

S Trey Marshall - Florida St.

Late round/UDFA

DE Walter Brady - Middle Tennessee St.

LB Reggie Carter - Georgia

CB Brandon Facyson - Virginia Tech

CB Deatrick Nichols - USF

S Steven Parker - Oklahoma

S Nic Washington - Florida

While I agree that T, LB, WR and Edge will be in the mix, you have to look at the players that we may lose to FA to really see the needs.

Carrie and Smith may both be gone.

Ellis will be unrestricted, Autry as well.

I know we have drafted Joesph, Obi and Luani but Reggie Nelson is a huge part of our defensive success regardless of how some may dislike him and McGill will also be a UFA.

Condo will be 36 and a UFA along with Jano but I think we know who is in line for Jano spot.

We hope that Cook develops enough to be dependable but if he doesn't I don't think Reggie is the kind of guy to leave QB up in the air so it's a possibility that we grab a guy if we love him.

So CB, NT, DE, S, LS, QB could all be needs plus T, WR, and Edge all have aging contributor on deals that most likely be released and some still have ILB as a need, though I believe the young guys (James, Lee, Adams, Moorrow and Woodson) will show out this year.

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

^^ Good news is, you're losing role players. Those are replaceable and some will be back on team friendly deals. They will lock up Mack and turn to FA assuming they have cap space to work with. Really need another CB to rise from the roster. 

Yeah, I could be wrong but the only guys that I could see taking team friendly deals are Condo, if he doesn't retire, and maybe Nelson.

I think Carrie, Ellis and Autry will all get better offers from somewhere else and should take the money as a business decision.

I think we let Smith go and it will be interesting to see the Penn contract detail to see if we can get out of his furture years with minimal dead money if we feel comfortable with the young guys and/or draft pick.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, Chali21 said:

I agree with this, if he's a fit for the team why not take him? Not taking a player because of PR reasons is dumb. I mean look at Houston, they passed on Carr twice because of PR reasons. They take him and it's possible they go to the super bowl. I couldn't care less if he's Reggies son if he's applying pressure and stopping the run. Besides DT is one of shallowest spots on defense. 

I agree with this. The reason I think it should be a pass is more about locker room cohesion than PR reasons. If the kid can play from day one, it wouldn't matter - but if he can't and is given time to develop (which I'm all for), there might be guys in the locker room that look around and say "well so and so got cut after having a stronger camp." Even if it makes sense from a football/future standpoint, there could be players that don't see it that way. That kind of thing could be a problem. 

That said, I wouldn't be down about the selection because I think he is a good player that projects well at an important position.

One guy I think would be a great addition is LB - Tremaine Edmunds from VA Tech. Maybe it's the VT homer in me, but he has good size/athleticism to mix with good, complete play.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, mct288 said:

I agree with this. The reason I think it should be a pass is more about locker room cohesion than PR reasons. If the kid can play from day one, it wouldn't matter - but if he can't and is given time to develop (which I'm all for), there might be guys in the locker room that look around and say "well so and so got cut after having a stronger camp." Even if it makes sense from a football/future standpoint, there could be players that don't see it that way. That kind of thing could be a problem. 

That said, I wouldn't be down about the selection because I think he is a good player that projects well at an important position.

I agree. I think Reggie has proven that he runs not only a professional staff but shows loyalty and patience when it is called for. All things that point to him doing what's best for the team and being a good man. So I think he'll rate players and compile his big board as normal and if his son puts himself in the right position then we'll take him. I think this team can handle whatever comes with professionalism because that is what their leader instills and how he has built the core.

Archived