2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

1 minute ago, roi34 said:

I'm ok with smith aslong as we get help for Mack finally too.

I'd rather trade down and get Rashaan Evans and get extra 2nd and/or 3rd and address DT, HB and CB.

Smith is good and I wouldn't be mad at the pick. I do think though that this year is very deep in the top 100-150 and we would be wise to take advantage of that.

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

They were certain that Conley would be on the field. It was said by the GM and the Coach. They did their research on both guys and found Conley to be the better pick, even though Foster may be the better player, we don't know yet. Adding Foster even though he was a top ten talent was the risk of adding a cancer to your lockerroom or worse and on top of that he had injury concerns in the one place, besides the head (for thinking haha), that a MLB uses the most.

I get your argument and there is something to it but you're not looking at from the standpoint of being in the room at the time. They were sure Conley would be on the field. They weren't sure Foster would fit the team and not be a headache. Do you think the Cards, Lions, Texans, Falcons or the Saints (all teams that took a ILB in the top 3 rds) didn't dig into Foster and come away with the same risk reward assessment. That someone else was less risk and they could address LB later.

Foster has proven them wrong so far but that doesn't make the assessment incorrect at the time with the info they had.

I agree with most of that, I’m just upset that we continue to ignore that position.  We struck out with McClain, but we really haven’t tried that hard to fix it since.  Roach would have been nice had he stayed healthy, but he didn’t.  

I love watching Smith and believe he would be huge for our D.  One of the best cover LBs and he takes good angles and tackles well.  He does struggle at times to get off his blocker, but he makes up for that with all the plays he makes.  I hope if he is available that he is the pick.  Reggie hasn’t hit any Home Runs the last several drafts and really needs to nail this one.  Conley and Obi could still be great players, but we need guys to be on the field.

30 minutes ago, daineraider said:

I agree with most of that, I’m just upset that we continue to ignore that position.  We struck out with McClain, but we really haven’t tried that hard to fix it since.  Roach would have been nice had he stayed healthy, but he didn’t.  

I love watching Smith and believe he would be huge for our D.  One of the best cover LBs and he takes good angles and tackles well.  He does struggle at times to get off his blocker, but he makes up for that with all the plays he makes.  I hope if he is available that he is the pick.  Reggie hasn’t hit any Home Runs the last several drafts and really needs to nail this one.  Conley and Obi could still be great players, but we need guys to be on the field.

I just don't think not drafting a ILB in the top 3 rounds is ignoring the position.

This has been discussed in depth so it's a matter of opinion at this point.

Moving on I think Smith is a good player but I don't think his value is that much better than a guy like Evans.

I'm gonna keep pounding the table for him. I think he is gonna be among the most impactful players in this draft. So versatile, long, fast, instinctive, powerful. Can cover, play the edge and middle, blitz and spy. He is a do it all LB. And the kicker is most mocks have him as a low 1st. I want him so bad that I'd be ok with him at 10 (depending on who is there of course, James, Guice, Payne) but would be over the moon with him lower with a trade down.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Moving on I think Smith is a good player but I don't think his value is that much better than a guy like Evans.

I'm gonna keep pounding the table for him. I think he is gonna be among the most impactful players in this draft. So versatile, long, fast, instinctive, powerful. Can cover, play the edge and middle, blitz and spy. He is a do it all LB. And the kicker is most mocks have him as a low 1st. I want him so bad that I'd be ok with him at 10 (depending on who is there of course, James, Guice, Payne) but would be over the moon with him lower with a trade down.

Rashan Evans? 

The rest of your post pretty much sums it up for me. Seems you're overvaluing Evans as a prospect to the point you think he's at or equal Smith to help your narrative which is pounding the table for 'your guy'.

Just a reminder to all.... just because you like one prospect more, doesn't mean you have to deflate the other prospects in the process of like them.  

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Rashan Evans? 

The rest of your post pretty much sums it up for me. Seems you're overvaluing Evans as a prospect to the point you think he's at or equal Smith to help your narrative which is pounding the table for 'your guy'.

Just a reminder to all.... just because you like one prospect more, doesn't mean you have to deflate the other prospects in the process of like them.  

First, I said, "I think Smith is a good player but I don't think his value is that much better than a guy like Evans."

Then, if I'm advocating trading down to get Evans in lieu of taking Smith at 9-10, I don't see where I'm deflating Smith.

So to make my fandom of Evans valid I also have to note the things I like about Smith as well?

How about you actually have something to say about the prospect if you feel that strongly about it. I don't think anything I said about Evans is off base.

Oh and his name is RASHAAN EVANS. With two A's.

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, big_palooka said:

1 game does not make the difference. Everyone knew coming into this game Sony would have more impact against Bama because he's sudden and can get outside. Chubb's game is between the tackles. UGA's interior line is it's weakness and Payne flat owned the LOS all night. 

Sony is terrific player. Both are 2nd round backs. You can't go wrong with either.

Out of the two Georgia backs, which one do you think would fit us more ?

9 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

First, I said, "I think Smith is a good player but I don't think his value is that much better than a guy like Evans."

Then, if I'm advocating trading down to get Evans in lieu of taking Smith at 9-10, I don't see where I'm deflating Smith.

So to make my fandom of Evans valid I also have to note the things I like about Smith as well?

How about you actually have something to say about the prospect if you feel that strongly about it. I don't think anything I said about Evans is off base.

Oh and his name is RASHAAN EVANS. With two A's.

giphy.gif

Apologies...missed your earlier post. Trading down is fine. Don't like Evans being the guy.  I just don't think Evans is in the same league as Smith.

Evans is a 2nd round pick. I like his upside as an athlete, but I rank him below Allen, Jefferson right now.

8 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Out of the two Georgia backs, which one do you think would fit us more ?

Assuming an overhaul of the position, probably Michel because he's the better pass catcher and Gruden likes the outside zone runs in his offense. 

Chubb is a more traditional runner. If they kept the scat backs and replaced Lynch he'd be the fit. 

They are 1a and 1b for me. But again... I'm a UGA homer, so when it's hard. When I look at Chubb I admittedly probably overvalue him because of what he's meant to the program and what's he's gone through. And Sony was always the cop guy who until this season flashed serious NFL potential. I never looked at Michel as an every down NFL back until his senior campaign where he came in chiseled up and doling out punishment

46 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Apologies...missed your earlier post. Trading down is fine. Don't like Evans being the guy.  I just don't think Evans is in the same league as Smith.

Evans is a 2nd round pick. I like his upside as an athlete, but I rank him below Allen, Jefferson right now.

Allen is going back to school. I don't think Jefferson is the player many touted him to be early on including myself. We fell in love with the height weight speed and but over the year I didnt see the plays on the field. It was partly because he played the middle in a 3-4 and was the spy and middle zone player a ton but I also saw a player that was slow to rally and got stuck to blocks.

As the draft falls right now, I think Smith is the one that would be in range with a trade down into the high teens/low 20s. Like you said, I think Evans is a high 2nd. After the combine and workouts tho I think Evans is a low first. I agree that Smith is a better prospect but I like the versatility of Evans. That we can play him inside and out in any scheme. I like that he is long and gets off blocks. I like his insane burst the ball. If you give me that, plus the chance to add another blue chipper with the trade down, I take that every time.

Hey fellas, new to the thread.

I used to post back in the day but just been an outside observer of the site for a while.

Now that we have Chucky back, for the first time in a while, I honestly feel like being a true Super Bowl contender is now a reality and not a pipe dream.  

I appreciated what Del Rio was able to do, but he's a glorified coordinator that is not a guy I see hoisting the Lambordi Trophy as the head man at the helm...best of luck to him though.

Back to the topic, I don't believe we can rule out any position as a position of need besides our 2 pillars which is Carr and Mack and the interior of our O-line.  Take away them and there is nothing special about what we have on this roster that we've seen yet.  

You can literally list every area on the roster and make a case for an upgrade...Tackles, D ends, safety, DB's, RB's, TE, WR's, DT....

With all that being said I'm not going to come in and act like some expert scout who nows which player would be a steal in which round, or what prospects deserve what grade.  It's a crap shoot and outside of couple well known prospects and what I remember from the players I've actually watched live, I'm not gonna pretend to have some Mel Kipper like scouting reports.

What I do believe is that we need to get back to taking the best guy on the board and Reggie needs to be less obsessed of trying to be a gem finder and out thinking the room and get back to taking actual known commodities. It's almost like RM relishes being unpredictable to a fault and when there is big talent or player sitting in our laps, he likes throw a curve ball just dispite what consenous pick should be...i.e. Ruben Foster, Derrick Henry, Keanu Neal, etc....I could go on for a while with the better players he passed up to get a guy he felt was raw with upside, that junk is starting to back fire...Take away the Carr/Mack/Jackson draft, all his drafts have left us wanting more.  Even taking Amari I thought was too high for a 6' wr with suspect hands who I believe is better suited being a Robin rather than a Batman...I preferred Leonard Williams.

For this year's class, I have no idea who will land where but I just don't want us passing on a blue chip prospect just so Reggie can think he can out smart his peers.  DON'T OVER THINK IT REG!!!

We need help with our front 7 first and foremost...our back end could use an upgrade also but not sure if we want to go Minkah after just taking Conley, but I do think we need to address the secondary somewhere between the 3rd-5th rd.  But we need disruptors up front and linebacker who can fly sideline to sideline...I like the LB from Georgia, not worried about size cause he's an impact hitter who can run you down....Seattle, Jacksonville and even Pittsburg use undersized LBs but this isn't **** Butkus football where you're asking them to take on Guards head on.  I want guys that can fly around and #1 get to the ball and #2 stop the runner on contact.  I think Darwin James is a guy that lost some hype becuase of the season FSU had.  But he's rangy, physical, athletic and I see him in the Ramsey/Cromartie mold...maybe not the ball hawk just yet but neither was Ramsey in college and now look at him.  

But the spot we've neglected for far too long is LB.  So here are my prospects I like and not in any order.

Raquan Smith, Darwin James, Minkah, Bradley Chubb and Barkley but I doubt he slides to 9 or 10....the RB I want the most besides Barkely who I think could be this year's Hunt or better is Rashaad Penny.  To me he brings the same all around talent as Barkely and could be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd if somehow he should slide to there.  I want a 3 down back who can do it all and this guy fits the bill perfectly.  Give me Penny in this draft and I'll be a happy man.

Sorry for the long post, but it's been a while.

Archived