2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

8 hours ago, Dessie said:

MLB is the bigger need no doubt. 

WLB isn’t worth a top 10 pick, you want a playmaker in the top 10. Chase and cover guys can/should be had later in the draft. Hawk and Rivers were WLBs taken in top 10 and never proved their status. I can’t think of any other WLBs being taken in the draft recently, probably has been others.

In a 4-3.we should focus on the DL and secondary before LB imo. Guenther didn’t have high draft picks in his LB corps from what I remember. Although let’s not get @NCOUGHMAN started on Rey Maualuga again :D

Whether Bowman is a good fit in a 4-3 might be the problem as you are required to be more sideline to sideline. No doubt though that the Lbs were better with him in the lineup.

Look at derwin James from fsu the dude played all 3 LB positions cb, fs & ss imo he is the ultimate moneybacker and he runs a 4.5 flat. Fsu has been producing some good dbs

My thoughts in Conley as well were.. people say Reggie never takes risk or chance on guys with off field issues. Then he does with Conley and people are happy. Dude gets hurt note hes bad pick? like Reggie controls injuries. Everyone loves our first two round picks until how they played out.

3 hours ago, mct288 said:

I loooove Hercules Mata'afa. I watched a lot of Washington State this year. Once because they were playing on Friday, and then several times after that just because I wanted to watch him more. If you couldn't find him before the play, you would because he was the one popping off the screen. Was always winning his matchup and making a play. As you noted, I wouldn't know where to put him - but he just feels like a guy that will make it work somewhere at the next level, maybe as an OLB in a 3-4. Either way - the guy is just a football playin' Jessie.

Yup I watched wash st for the lt but herc is a boss. I don't know how he does it but he's gets it done. The NFL hasn't seen a 250lb dt so I wonder how he'll fit in. Hard to project but the stats don't lie. Is he a senior? Senior bowl?

15 minutes ago, roi34 said:

My thoughts in Conley as well were.. people say Reggie never takes risk or chance on guys with off field issues. Then he does with Conley and people are happy. Dude gets hurt note hes bad pick? like Reggie controls injuries. Everyone loves our first two round picks until how they played out.

Nope, not everyone. 

I thought it would have been absolutely great for the team if Conley had a great year. And it was bad for the team that he didn't. But I am not speaking in hindsight nor am I trumping for Foster when I say this - I never liked the pick in a way that you could call "happy". I accepted it. Hoped for the best, maybe even tried to take a positive attitude on it.

More than anything 1) I thought it contributed mightily to the dysfunction of this offseason. Between that, Lynch sideshow all summer, Penn holdout, Musgrave fired and Norton kept, the offseason was a mess of distractions the whole way through. For those who think that all had nothing to do with the outcome of the season, think harder please. 2) Part of me liked Reggie's prior philosophy of picking straight arrows. I know that goes against my arguments regarding Foster, but that was a situation of dire need and a player teeming with utterly obvious ability who was seemingly not hurting anyone else with his stupidity. But if Reggie stuck to his guns and picked a clean as a whistle guy, I would have greatly preferred his consistency of philosophy over a pick of Conley. Or Foster. That's another aspect of it as well - I have a much bigger problem with the societal offenses of football players when they're centered around hurting others. If they screw themselves like Foster, that's their problem. Just a moral distinction and personal opinion for me, both forms of stupid hurt the team in the end. And that goes along with the discipline oriented way I think a team builds and maintains excellence in this era. Focus on football, professionalism, and you'll likely end up near the top of the league.

So no, not everyone loved it. And there's no posts of mine from the past jumping on board with it in case you want to go digging. 

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yup I watched wash st for the lt but herc is a boss. I don't know how he does it but he's gets it done. The NFL hasn't seen a 250lb dt so I wonder how he'll fit in. Hard to project but the stats don't lie. Is he a senior? Senior bowl?

Unfortunately not a senior. Would be nice to be able to see him in that scenario, but instead it's all projection to what he can be. He'll be an interesting case for sure.

3 hours ago, Dessie said:

As I said if he’s not pass rushing in nickel we will let him go, no chance he’s plays as an off the ball LB in nickel looks, that’s not his skill set. 

He could restructure. It's likely he'd go back to a more off-ball roll like in his last year in Seattle. I'd imagine under Guenther Irvin would be rushing around 60-70% of the time instead of 85-90%.

55 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

He could restructure. It's likely he'd go back to a more off-ball roll like in his last year in Seattle. I'd imagine under Guenther Irvin would be rushing around 60-70% of the time instead of 85-90%.

He could restructure but he came to the Raiders to rush the passer more than what he was doing in Seattle. 

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I actually see Corey James and Morrow in a battle for WLB in this scenario. Bowman would be just fine in the middle seeing that Gruden likes vet leaders there like in the mode of Greg Biekert, and Romonowski. Marquel Lee could backup MLB and learn from Bowman he did flash talent. 

SLB: Irvin/Cowser

MLB: Bowman/Lee

WLB: James/Morrow

I would concentrate on the DL first particularly the DT and NT if Maurice Hurst is there, maybe he should be the pick and sign Star Lotulelei.

Agree with all this.

13 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I actually see Corey James and Morrow in a battle for WLB in this scenario. Bowman would be just fine in the middle seeing that Gruden likes vet leaders there like in the mode of Greg Biekert, and Romonowski. Marquel Lee could backup MLB and learn from Bowman he did flash talent. 

SLB: Irvin/Cowser

MLB: Bowman/Lee

WLB: James/Morrow

I would concentrate on the DL first particularly the DT and NT if Maurice Hurst is there, maybe he should be the pick and sign Star Lotulelei.

I had that same combo in mind when thinking about this the other day. I'd be a little worried about MIKE range, but one thing at a time.

17 hours ago, Dessie said:

As I said if he’s not pass rushing in nickel we will let him go, no chance he’s plays as an off the ball LB in nickel looks, that’s not his skill set. 

Yeah, i'm pretty sure Irvin has been playing DE in our nickel for the last 2 years so i don't really see why it would change now. I understand questioning how he would fit at OLB in a traditional 4-3 base though.

1. Browns -- Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State -- The Colts are a large looming threat to select Barkley before the Browns select again at 4th overall. “You put (Luck) on that field, healed up, and you put an Edgerrin James — maybe that’s bigger faster and stronger — and let this man continue to do the job that he’s already begun to do, this is going to be a special place to be and a special place to play” — Jim Irsay. With that said, especially at this point in the draft season, perhaps Irsay is trying to enhance the chance one of Darnold and Rosen is on board 3rd for a Colts trade down. I currently am high enough on Barkley though that I think this is a legitimate assessment and Barkley is high on the Colts board -- if the Browns want him, it's 1st overall (or second if Giants move up for a QB in a Bears-49ers type move).
2. Giants -- Josh Rosen, QB UCLA -- Rosen has concussion concerns, but I see this as a fit for a new coach -- especially a defensive coach like Patrica (if he is hired). Rosen's technique would allow the Giants to get a defensive coach to coach up their talent strength and allow their young QB to groom behind Eli in a Kurt Warner/Eli like scenario to adjust to New York.
3. Colts -- (Jets) Sam Darnold, QB USC -- With Rosen and Barkley off the board I think the Colts put this selection on the table to create a bidding war for Darnold between the Browns, Broncos and Jets as any target they have here likely remains at any of those picks with their needs at QBs. That said I am not sure whether I'd pick the Broncos or Jets to offer more, perhaps the Jets will package someone like Muhammad Wilkerson into a trade up package though (Colts have cap room). 
4. Browns -- Josh Allen, QB Wyoming -- "I heard this from a veteran college scout ... on what Cleveland GM John Dorsey might do: 'I believe there is no way Cleveland, at No. 1, will pass on [Wyoming quarterback] Josh Allen. This is Wentz reincarnated. Allen's a perfect Dorsey quarterback. Just watch.'" - Peter King, MMQB. This isn't taking Allen at the first pick, but it's still high. I am assuming here the Browns will sign a veteran or trade for one to pair with Barkley to make a competitive push this upcoming year, but the prospect of Allen developing into a AFC North style rocket armed large athlete at QB has to entice them, and a veteran acquisition would allow them to pursue Barkley and sit and develop a young QB without the pressure of busting off the bat. 
5. Broncos -- Baker Mayfield, QB Oklahoma -- This run seems crazy, but consider 2011 where Cam went first, then Locker, Gabbert and Ponder made it into the top 11. The Broncos requested him on their Senior Bowl team as well. The top available QB likely is Alex Smith and it's highly unlikely KC would move him to a rival, so this sort of situation very well could play out. Mayfield was fantastic this year, and with Thomas and Sanders they may think he could be the answer.
6. Jets (Colts) - Bradley Chubb, DE NC State -- The Colts move down from third to take a top prospect they very well could take third overall if not for the desire to address QB by other teams. Adding Wilkerson, another pick and Chubb would give the Colts playmakers against both the run and pass to help Malik Hooker. Perhaps the other pick could address OLine with like Will Hernandez or something.
7. Buccaneers -- Derwin James, DB FSU -- He can play any of the defensive back positions and is a freak athlete.
8. Bears -- Quenton Nelson, G Notre Dame -- The OLine coach of the Bears is now the former ND OLine coach, if Nelson is worth the pick in the top ten and is available that coach would know. Sitton at LG, Whitehair at center, Long at tackle and then adding Nelson at RG would allow the Bears to continue to run Howard and Cohen easing the transition to Trubiski, who isn't developed enough to carry the team yet. Long is also 29 and Sitton is turning 32 so it's not like age isn't becoming a factor sooner than later and Nelson is blue chip as Zach Martin was -- a building block guard to transform an  offense.
9. 49ers -- Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB Alabama -- The 49ers could use a talent like Fitzpatrick, but I think here he plays CB opposite Witherspoon with Ward and Tart at safety. The versatility isn't to be under estimated though.
10. Raiders -- DaRon Payne, DT Alabama // Roquan Smith, LB Georgia // Arden Key, DE LSU // CB like Josh Jackson, Iowa or Denzel Ward, Ohio State

Which (or someone else) would you take here? I think it is either Key if they are sold on his injury and character as an Aldon Smith like raw talent, or Roquan Smith to add to Bowman and Irvin at LB. I think DT gets addressed as a major need in FA with talent available, and like Dan Williams said the draw to play with Khalil Mack is strong recruitment. There's Dontari Poe, Bennie Logan, Sheldon Richardson, and Star Lotulelei in FA right now. CB becomes a larger need if Sean Smith's legal issues go south, and or we release Smith and/or Amerson -- if the work ethic of Gareon Conley is bad though perhaps a former teammate like Ward could be increased risk as they would likely associate together quickly and develop poor habits, if not all good. I think if we want the high round RB, shooting for the second round with Guice/Chubb/Michel/Love is where that happens or the third if any of those is falling or add Ronald Jones or Kerryon Johnson.

I know it’s only January but since we like to speculate, Matt Miller from Bleacher Report (one of their few writers I respect) mocked Roquan Smith to us in the first, and Sony Michel in the second. I would love that move. He had us at 9 since he did his own coin flip. Had the niners take Denzel Ward behind us which I would also be very content with.

1 hour ago, NJ Raider said:

I know it’s only January but since we like to speculate, Matt Miller from Bleacher Report (one of their few writers I respect) mocked Roquan Smith to us in the first, and Sony Michel in the second. I would love that move. He had us at 9 since he did his own coin flip. Had the niners take Denzel Ward behind us which I would also be very content with.

I would love this! 2 fantastic players. However, I doubt Sony last that long. He's going to get a big boost from his playoff performance and teams will be looking for the next Alvin Kamara back.

Gruden and Sony could have a ton of fun together.  

Archived