2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

First time poster after lurking for like...4 years. lol.

Anyways, I just have a feeling this year we don't go linebacker in the 1st (again) and instead go somewhere else. I could see us go Dline, OT, DB possibly WR.

I haven't researched the draft much this year and while I like Smith as a prospect, he doesn't stand out to me as a guy we can't live without. I've just started looking but I like a few of the db's or possibly Dline guys there at 9/10. 

It will be interesting to see what Reg & Co do with Sean Smith and Amerson. If we can't find better starters early in FA, maybe we bring both back through the draft. If we draft one high in the first, hand one their walking papers, possibly. You could still have a nice rotation of Conley/Smith(or Amerson)/Draft Pick/McDonald.

I figure we may see TJ walk this offseason unless signed back to a deal. So if we do, you can put him back in there in place of McDonald for depth.

I'm always down to draft on the Dline, as I do think we could use a replacement for Irvin as an every down end. Irvin has been okay, and Calhoun hasn't really developed. Just sucks as we've invested a lot of high draft picks ultimately to have a majority of them fail or stall due to injuries. 

Excited for this draft though, hopefully we can do what Carolina did last year and just have a brief relapse into a high first round pick before going back to the playoffs this year!

Desmond Harrison, LT West Georgia
Anthony Miller, WR Memphis
LJ Scott, RB Michigan State

are some not-first round picks that are really interesting me right now. Desmond Harrison is an athletic fighter in the trenches that has the plus size that profiles as a Tom Cable tackle (6'7" ~300). He went to community college at Contra Costa College near Richmond (San Pablo) just north of Oakland, so I assume there is at least above normal awareness or familiarity of the prospect compared to other NFL teams. Then he went to Texas before being dismissed for drugs by Charlie Strong, and has dominated lower division in West Georgia. The drug and competition questions need answered, but he is very interesting. Anthony Miller was a walk on who developed into a star in Memphis. Miller's build isn't impressive and his testing numbers likely won't blow people away, but his production route running and hands look to be on point. Miller would be an ideal slot receiver upgrade to Seth Roberts, imo. LJ Scott looks insane in his balance. As a prospect he looks solid in most facets of the game outside of ball handling and possibly pass protection (as I haven't come across it yet). Anyone look into any of these three yet?

On the fairly safe presumption that Barkley is long gone by the time we pick and also assuming trade down is not an option, then I am happy getting the best defensive difference maker available from:

• Minkah Fitzpatrick
  • Bradley Chubb
  • Ro'quan Smith 
  • Vita Vea
  • Denzel Ward

Any of these five would be good with me.

25 minutes ago, SinCity said:

On the fairly safe presumption that Barkley is long gone by the time we pick and also assuming trade down is not an option, then I am happy getting the best defensive difference maker available from:

• Minkah Fitzpatrick
  • Bradley Chubb
  • Ro'quan Smith 
  • Vita Vea
  • Denzel Ward

I could get behind any of those. Vea is intriguing. You hear his about his size and strength, but he is a technician with his hands. Once he gets some good coaching.... 

Just now, big_palooka said:

I could get behind any of those. Vea is intriguing. You hear his about his size and strength, but he is a technician with his hands. Once he gets some good coaching.... 

I also think he could lose about 10-15lbs still be a force against the run, but offer more in the pass rush - I think he is about 345lbs or so at the moment.

1 hour ago, SinCity said:

• Minkah Fitzpatrick
  • Bradley Chubb
  • Ro'quan Smith 
  • Vita Vea
  • Denzel Ward

I still don't think Chubb gets out of the top 4, but he'd easily top that list for me. Followed by

1. Denzel Ward
  2. Vita Vea
  3. Roquan Smith
  4. Minka Fitzpatrick

I'd throw in Derris Guice and Maurice Hurst in there between Ward and Vea. And I'll probably end up having Rahsaan Evans ahead of Smith.

Just now, Rich7sena said:

I still don't think Chubb gets out of the top 4, but he'd easily top that list for me. Followed by

1. Denzel Ward
  2. Vita Vea
  3. Roquan Smith
  4. Mink Fitzpatrick

I'd throw in Derris Guice and Maurice Hurst in there between Ward and Vea. And I'll probably end up having Rahsaan Evans ahead of Smith.

Yeah we probably won't see Chubb, but he is on my list anyway. I'm not high on Hurst, not a as a top-10 pick (I am probably alone in that assessment) but he just doesn't seem uber-athletic for being one of the smaller (lighter) guys in his class. I like the way Guice runs, but this is quite a deep class and I think we get RB in the second round.

7 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

1. Denzel Ward
  2. Vita Vea
  3. Roquan Smith
  4. Minka Fitzpatrick

Hurst top 10. Can't get behind that. And Evans over Smith is playing it safe.

I'm starting to get really behind a Roquan Smith pick. I really wasn't that impressed with him after watching a couple games later in the year. I prefer LBers who don't get washed out easily and are a force vs at the point. But seeing how lethal the Jags D is with those faster/smaller LBers has really swayed my opinion. I would welcome Smith in silver and black.

Archived