2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

I think Smith could be good but is undersized...  like someone else said, maybe if we had a great front 4 he would make sense. 

My quick mock draft

1. Browns- Barkely get a franchise changing player

2. Giants- Darnold- young qb to groom behind Eli

3. Colts-   Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame OT  - fix the oline that hurt Luck

4. Browns- Rosen, Browns can't keep overlooking Qbs

5. Broncos-  Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield  - Elways get:s his blue chip player

6. Jets-  Lamar Jackson -  much needed excitement to the franchise

7. Bucs- Minkah Fitzgerald -  Bucs go BPA to help the defense

8.  Bears- Bradley Chubb- bears look to build up a bully defense

9.  Raiders 

Raiders on the clock who would you like the most? 

Arden Key Edge

Derwin James Safety

Vita Vea  DT

Da'ron Payne DT

I didn't include R Smith LB. M Hurst DT, D Ward CB due to size.. Da'ron Payne would be my pick, just the BPA.. Vea James would be nice too.... 

DE: Mack  1st

DT: Payne  1st

DT: Vanderdoes 3 rd

DE: Edwards 2nd

OLB:  Irvin 1st

MLB: Bowman 3rd

OLB:  James  6th

CB: Conely 1st

CB: Amerson 2nd

S: Obi  2nd

S:  Joseph 1st

Defense would have of highly sought after athletes on their defense that needs to be coached up

I know it's no effect, but I'm pretty sure Josh Allen is the Browns QB not Rosen. Their new GM was supposedly against  Rosen before being hired, and I doubt that wasn't discussed in the interviewing process. That and Darnold doesn't want to play in Cleveland.

I'd consider Quenton Nelson there and then move KO to LT and release Penn. Not saying it's the plan I'd go for for sure, but it's a consideration. KO played LT towards the end of his time with the Ravens and the Raiders reported plan was to have him as an option at LT. The move would lower the OL paycheck from Penn's number to whatever the rookie contract is, almost assuredly raising capital for Mack's extension. The strength of the OL would also be secured long term with KO, Nelson, Hudson, Jackson, & Sharpe (?).

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

I'd consider Quenton Nelson there and then move KO to LT and release Penn. Not saying it's the plan I'd go for for sure, but it's a consideration. KO played LT towards the end of his time with the Ravens and the Raiders reported plan was to have him as an option at LT. The move would lower the OL paycheck from Penn's number to whatever the rookie contract is, almost assuredly raising capital for Mack's extension. The strength of the OL would also be secured long term with KO, Nelson, Hudson, Jackson, & Sharpe (?).

Now this is an interesting take. I think it's safe to say Penn is all but done as a starting LT. He is declining too rapidly given his age and coming off an injury. KO has shown to be a very solid LT in the past and Nelson is supposedly one of the better G's to come out in some time. Do we slide KO over and insert a bluechip G prospect? Sharpe did look rather good when starting for Penn.

On one hand I would love the idea of going BPA and nabbing Nelson, but on the other hand interior O-line is arguably our strongest unit already. We need help at so many more positions other than G. I would be pretty torn on it tbh. Something to think about no doubt.

KO isn't worth his check at LT like he is at LG. There will be a/some standout defensive players available at 9/10 that we can't pass up on. Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea, Harold Landry/Arden Key all have a chance to be available. All of those would be good picks and I didn't even include Mo Hurst or Da'Ron Payne.

22 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

KO isn't worth his check at LT like he is at LG. There will be a/some standout defensive players available at 9/10 that we can't pass up on. Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea, Harold Landry/Arden Key all have a chance to be available. All of those would be good picks and I didn't even include Mo Hurst or Da'Ron Payne.

Disagree.

First, KO would be the 12th or 13th highest paid T if he was moved. And second, whether a player is worth their check is based on their performance and intangibles. KO is a stellar teammate and dude all around from all accounts and I think he would perform up to that level at least.

But like you said if we are looking at other players that may be there at 9or10, I think Nelson is below James in my book right now. All the others you named I think the offseason will decide their ranking more clearly. Just off the top of my head, I think Smith, Payne and Landry will go in the late teens early 20s while Nelson, James and Hurst are in the running for the top 10 IMO. I don't know how Vea will be slotted yet. Prospects with natural size advantages are tricky to rank without seeing them stacked vs others that play the position.

This is the way I see it... 

1st - DT  Hurst, Vea , and Payne all options .... James and Key options because these defense needs more twitch athletes and defensive playmakers..  I don't know about Hurst.. Sure everyone wants the next Aaron Donald but he is an outliner... Hurst is undersized and not an athletic freak nor does he have great length.. Reggie values length

2nd could be interesting, as there will be solid options in round 2

OT: Orlando Brown, Desmond Harrison, Kolton Miller, Connor Williams

RB: Bryce Love, Ronald Jones, Nick Chubb,  Kerryon Johnson, Damien Harris, Sony Mitchell

LB: Josh Allen,  Tremaine Edmunds,  Dorance Armstrong, Malik Jefferson

CB: Jaire Alexander, Ken Webster, Mike Hughes, Joshua Jackson, Jc Jackson, Isiah Oliver,  Kevin Toliver

WR: Christian Kirk, Perris Campbell, Simmie Coabes, Arden Tate, Equanimeous St. Brown, Courtland Sutton

DE: Sam Hubbard

47 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Disagree.

First, KO would be the 12th or 13th highest paid T if he was moved. And second, whether a player is worth their check is based on their performance and intangibles. KO is a stellar teammate and dude all around from all accounts and I think he would perform up to that level at least.

But like you said if we are looking at other players that may be there at 9or10, I think Nelson is below James in my book right now. All the others you named I think the offseason will decide their ranking more clearly. Just off the top of my head, I think Smith, Payne and Landry will go in the late teens early 20s while Nelson, James and Hurst are in the running for the top 10 IMO. I don't know how Vea will be slotted yet. Prospects with natural size advantages are tricky to rank without seeing them stacked vs others that play the position.

I misspoke. KO is a top 5 guard, but he's not a top 10 left tackle.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Now this is an interesting take. I think it's safe to say Penn is all but done as a starting LT. He is declining too rapidly given his age and coming off an injury. KO has shown to be a very solid LT in the past and Nelson is supposedly one of the better G's to come out in some time. Do we slide KO over and insert a bluechip G prospect? Sharpe did look rather good when starting for Penn.

On one hand I would love the idea of going BPA and nabbing Nelson, but on the other hand interior O-line is arguably our strongest unit already. We need help at so many more positions other than G. I would be pretty torn on it tbh. Something to think about no doubt.

I don't believe in making a strength into a weakness.. KO is an all pro guard

I could really warm up to the idea of moving KO to lt and drafting Nelson, that kid is an animal. Regardless of what we do, offensive tackle needs to be addressed in free agency or by day 2 of the draft. Even if we do keep penn, he will probably break down at some point during the year. His play has tailed off significantly.

KO is a top notch proven LG. You leave him there and do what you have to do at LT.

I mean, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think Penn is good for another year with Sharpe and another young guy behind him. He just really lost a step with this holdout and then Downing happened to this hole unit...

I would like to go defense with the 1st rounder or Barkley.

If we somehow go OL with that pick we should pick the best LT and let him battle with Penn...

On defense with a top 10 pick I think you go DL or DB. We just picked DB back to back in the first round and 1 in the 2nd...

Bradley Chubb, Harold Landry, Arden Key, Sam Hubbard, Clelin Ferrell, Christian Wilkins, Da'Ron Payne, Maurice Hurst would be the group I would analyze pretty closely.

Archived