2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

17 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Guenther's one gap system should help the Dline out. There is some talent there they can develop. 

He like man CBs, same as Zimmer. Outside Conley.... that spot is getting an overhaul 

Amerson had his success with us early as a man CB...just sayin'

I think he will stay for '18 and we'll see...his presence shouldn't keep us from going after a CB early tho...

If we keep Amerson and Carrie that could result in a different approach tho...

So much unknown in this offseason :)

10 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Amerson had his success with us early as a man CB...just sayin'

I think he will stay for '18 and we'll see...his presence shouldn't keep us from going after a CB early tho...

If we keep Amerson and Carrie that could result in a different approach tho...

So much unknown in this offseason :)

If they restructure Amerson, he can stick around. But he's not worth his price tag or the cap they can save cutting him.

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If they restructure Amerson, he can stick around. But he's not worth his price tag or the cap they can save cutting him.

He is due to 6M in '18. This will be guaranteed early March, so we should know then at latest.

He would be the 22th, 23th paid CB in '18 before any new deals, any cuts...ideally RM can cut a mill or 2 from that 6, but not much.

i dont think amerson would agree to a paycut. with the cap continuing to rise, salaries are scaling up to. a starting caliber corner at his age will fetch at least 6 mil on the open market. cutting smith makes sense, but i would hang onto amerson for this year. the 6 mil is not an awful number, and if he stays healthy and performs, we can decide if he's worth 7.5 mil next year. none of that becomes guaranteed until then

30 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

i dont think amerson would agree to a paycut. with the cap continuing to rise, salaries are scaling up to. a starting caliber corner at his age will fetch at least 6 mil on the open market. cutting smith makes sense, but i would hang onto amerson for this year. the 6 mil is not an awful number, and if he stays healthy and performs, we can decide if he's worth 7.5 mil next year. none of that becomes guaranteed until then

Amerson wouldn't get close to $6 mil in the open market. He was hurt for almost all of 2017 and his one good season in 2015 has proven to be an anomaly. 

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Amerson wouldn't get close to $6 mil in the open market. He was hurt for almost all of 2017 and his one good season in 2015 has proven to be an anomaly. 

I would keep Amerson for that price, he was a victim of KNJ's defense just like everybody else. If Conley can be #1, Amerson can be a solid #2.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

I would keep Amerson for that price, he was a victim of KNJ's defense just like everybody else. If Conley can be #1, Amerson can be a solid #2.

Sorry but that is weak. We saw Amerson time and time again get beat off the ball and faked out of his cleats. He wasn't the victim of KNJ. He reverted back to the same player he was in Washington that got cut.

The only victim here is the Raiders who paid him off 1 year of production. We're not going to scapegoat KNJ for his failures. He was among the WORST starting cbs in football last season before getting hurt. Scheme had nothing to do with it. He couldn't match up and play his spot, period.  

16 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Sorry but that is weak. We saw Amerson time and time again get beat off the ball and faked out of his cleats. He wasn't the victim of KNJ. He reverted back to the same player he was in Washington that got cut.

The only victim here is the Raiders who paid him off 1 year of production. We're not going to scapegoat KNJ for his failures. He was among the WORST starting cbs in football last season before getting hurt. Scheme had nothing to do with it. He couldn't match up and play his spot, period.  

Sean Smith was one of the worst until Pagano took over, so i disagree.

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Some of that is fair but I also think his injuries contributed to his poor play in 2016 and 17. Concussions, shoulder, hamstring and foot injuries all at separate times in that period set him back. 

His 2015 wasn't an anomaly in terms of him not having the talent to play in the system we ran. But he was healthy then while he wasn't in the years following. That being said I would still lean toward releasing him because of the combined reasons of salary, injury concerns and scheme change coming.

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Obviously he's had some injuries, but i'm willing to bet he would have played alot better under Pagano just like everybody else.

If your standard is to have a mediocre CB,  then sure he'd have played better. But why waste money on a guy you know can't play dead? You can draft a cheaper CB with more to offer IMO.

And can we all stop acting like Pagano really did something? His success came off some bad QBs and offenses. 

40 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If your standard is to have a mediocre CB,  then sure he'd have played better. But why waste money on a guy you know can't play dead? You can draft a cheaper CB with more to offer IMO.

And can we all stop acting like Pagano really did something? His success came off some bad QBs and offenses. 

He didn't say anything about standards. It's was a clear point about play performance being better.

And yes, Pagano did do something. If you can't recognize that I don't know what to say to you. Even if the offenses were lesser than the ones we faced earlier, he put players in better position to succeed than KNJ did.

So I just watched some YouTube clips of vea and I would not be upset if we took him. He really is an immovable object. Think he could get better using his hands though. Seems like most of the time he engages, reads, and works his way down the line of scrimmage. Not necessarily a a bad thing, just an observation. Could be by design though.

Then I checked out Tim Settle. Very impressed by him and could be had at least a round cheaper. This guy may not be stronger than vea but def quicker off the snap and looks like more of a penetrator. Definitely uses his hands well and knifes through his gap. Also plays with a lower base and avoids cut blocks well.  Would take either one gladly because they would both help us, but I came away more impressed with settle especially considering his price. Just my two cents.

Archived