2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'm starting to get really behind a Roquan Smith pick. I really wasn't that impressed with him after watching a couple games later in the year. I prefer LBers who don't get washed out easily and are a force vs at the point. But seeing how lethal the Jags D is with those faster/smaller LBers has really swayed my opinion. I would welcome Smith in silver and black.

Both Jaguars LBs engage blockers in the run. Heck, Myles Jack plays on the line half the time.

I'm a big Roquan Smith skeptic in the same way I was a Darron Lee skeptic back when he was getting love on this board. Linebackers have to engage blockers on nearly a down to down basis; it's unavoidable in the NFL.

I am intrigued with two other Georgia front seven players: David Bellamy and Lorenzo Carter. Carter, in particular, looks like a day 2 edge defender while Bellamy looks like a steal in the later rounds.

5 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Both Jaguars LBs engage blockers in the run. Heck, Myles Jack plays on the line half the time.

I'm a big Roquan Smith skeptic in the same way I was a Darron Lee skeptic back when he was getting love on this board. Linebackers have to engage blockers on nearly a down to down basis; it's unavoidable in the NFL.

I am intrigued with two other Georgia front seven players: David Bellamy and Lorenzo Carter. Carter, in particular, looks like a day 2 edge defender while Bellamy looks like a steal in the later rounds.

Carter is a stud. 3rd round grade on him right now. He should test well. Big time playmaker at UGA who is churning out talent right now. 

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Carter is a stud. 3rd round grade on him right now. He should test well. Big time playmaker at UGA who is churning out talent right now. 

Who do like, in order, of:

Sam Hubbard

Jeff Holland

Lorenzo Carter

Dorance Armstrong

9 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I wouldn’t fall in love with Minkah too much guys. Imo no chance he gets any where near our pick. Best DB in the draft bar none. I’d sprint to the podium if he’s there at 10. Just no way. 

You don't know that for sure obviously. Guys that start out high can drop for many reasons. Last year, early on, Foster, Peppers, Howard and Robinson were all considered top ten guys. All fell out of the top 10 during the process.

I think people are just pointing out who who would be their pick if it came to that. Nothing wrong there.

19 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

You don't know that for sure obviously. Guys that start out high can drop for many reasons. Last year, early on, Foster, Peppers, Howard and Robinson were all considered top ten guys. All fell out of the top 10 during the process.

I think people are just pointing out who who would be their pick if it came to that. Nothing wrong there.

Not saying anything is wrong with it, just trying to prevent guys falling in love with a prospect that has a slim chance to be there at our pick. And Minkah is twice the prospect of the guys you listed. IMO Minkah is a top 3 player in this draft and the best prospect to come out of Alabama under Saban. Let's all hope and pray Minkah falls to our pick but to think of him as a possibility anymore than Barkley isn't realistic. 

Peppers--tweener

Foster--RC injury, later off the field issues

Howard--OJ Howard im assuming? TE, enough said.

Robinson--not elite feet, lunger. 

10 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Who do like, in order, of:

Sam Hubbard

Jeff Holland

Lorenzo Carter

Dorance Armstrong

I would draft:

Armstrong 

Carter

Not really a fan of:

Holland 

Then:

Hubbard - will he be a DE or OLB. These other guys are almost hybrid type players.

7 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Not saying anything is wrong with it, just trying to prevent guys falling in love with a prospect that has a slim chance to be there at our pick. And Minkah is twice the prospect of the guys you listed. IMO Minkah is a top 3 player in this draft and the best prospect to come out of Alabama under Saban. Let's all hope and pray Minkah falls to our pick but to think of him as a possibility anymore than Barkley isn't realistic. 

Peppers--tweener

Foster--RC injury, later off the field issues

Howard--OJ Howard im assuming? TE, enough said.

Robinson--not elite feet, lunger. 

The point of my post was that early on guys can look like great prospects and later it CAN change. Not saying it will.

What happens if Minkah doesn't test well in the cone drills or the explosion drills

or

a shoulder problem is found/revealed in the physicals

or

people start nit picking his talent or position like they did to Peppers.

I'm not saying these are valid reasons for him to fall. I'm saying these are reason he could.

The point was anything can happen and people were just giving their thoughts on top guys they like for our needs.

22 hours ago, NJ Raider said:

I know it’s only January but since we like to speculate, Matt Miller from Bleacher Report (one of their few writers I respect) mocked Roquan Smith to us in the first, and Sony Michel in the second. I would love that move. He had us at 9 since he did his own coin flip. Had the niners take Denzel Ward behind us which I would also be very content with.

Right now I would gladly take it!

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

people start nit picking his talent or position like they did to Peppers.

This, in my opinion, is a completely valid reason for him to fall (as it was for Peppers, who I also wasn't a huge fan of). Fitzpatrick is a positional enigma. People have him as a top 5 pick at safety when he doesn't play safety - or at least not the same style safety most NFL teams deploy. Unless a team is planning on calling 3-5 slot corner blitzes a game, I don't see how Fitzpatrick is a top 5 lock. I don't think it's unrealistic for him -- or Derwin James -- to fall to the Raiders pick at 10.

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

This, in my opinion, is a completely valid reason for him to fall (as it was for Peppers, who I also wasn't a huge fan of). Fitzpatrick is a positional enigma. People have him as a top 5 pick at safety when he doesn't play safety - or at least not the same style safety most NFL teams deploy. Unless a team is planning on calling 3-5 slot corner blitzes a game, I don't see how Fitzpatrick is a top 5 lock. I don't think it's unrealistic for him -- or Derwin James -- to fall to the Raiders pick at 10.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see with Minkah. IMO comparing him to Peppers is a huge slight to him. Peppers never had the coverage skills, fluidity, or play recognition skills that Minkah has. At 6'1 210 I think Minkah can play CB, FS or slot no problem. IMO comparing him to a bigger Tyrann Mathieu is not a bad comparison. 

I'll stop beating the drum on Minkah as my position is known. Completely agree that James could and likely will fall to our pick at 10. The question with him is (as he's a pure S imo) is if he's worth the pick with Obi and KJ already there. 

1 minute ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

I guess we'll just have to wait and see with Minkah. IMO comparing him to Peppers is a huge slight to him. Peppers never had the coverage skills, fluidity, or play recognition skills that Minkah has. At 6'1 210 I think Minkah can play CB, FS or slot no problem. IMO comparing him to a bigger Tyrann Mathieu is not a bad comparison. 

I'll stop beating the drum on Minkah as my position is known. Completely agree that James could and likely will fall to our pick at 10. The question with him is (as he's a pure S imo) is if he's worth the pick with Obi and KJ already there. 

Fitzpatrick is a better prospect than Peppers, but I don't see a top 5 pick. To say he can play CB or FS no problem is a slight to the time it takes to develop the skills to play those positions. To recognize plays from a nickel-backer role is different than recognizing from deep half or middle or on the perimeter. 

1 minute ago, Rich7sena said:

Fitzpatrick is a better prospect than Peppers, but I don't see a top 5 pick. To say he can play CB or FS no problem is a slight to the time it takes to develop the skills to play those positions. To recognize plays from a nickel-backer role is different than recognizing from deep half or middle or on the perimeter. 

While that is true, in my opinion if you are elite at that trait (which I believe Minkah is) the transition either way would not be a problem. Am I saying he can walk in day 1 and shut Julio down as a boundary corner? Hell no, but he has the skill set to make that transition and be that type of player. Having a DB with his size, instincts and technique is a HUGE tool in todays game. Having a player that you can utilize on the other teams best player, whoever that is (Gronk, AJ Green, Evan Engram, etc) is something I want on my team. 

Some prospects I've really been liking so far, that aren't necessarily day 1 guys at this point. 

LB Skai Moore: My favorite mid round OLB prospect, some injury history, a little on the light side but has the frame to bulk up a little bit. He flies around, can miss some tackles due to not  wrapping up. Lacks any pass rushing moves really but his speed lets him hit on some blitzes. Good in coverage and just relentless in the run game. 

LB Lorenzo Carter: A TOUGH projection because a tools guy alone he's a top 50 guy but he's not there quite yet. If I could snag him in the 3rd round I'd do it in a heartbeat and trust my coaching staff to figure out how to get him on the field. 6'6 245 and room to grow, I want him attacking the passer. 

S Ronnie Harrison: Get's overlooked on that great Alabama defense but he'll be a player in the NFL. Don't like the pick for us as we have other more pressing needs but I think whoever snatches him up is gonna get a real solid safety.

G Will Hernandez: My favorite OL in the draft (save maybe Connor Williams). Soooo good in the run game and adept enough as a pass blocker. If not for Nelson he would be getting a lot more hype. Again not a huge need for us, but the guy is a stud.

DE Marcus Davenport: IMO after a week at the senior bowl he will be a first round pick. A HUGE man and I'm not too sure how much pull or influence our new DC will have but he had two big DE's off the edge in Cincy and Davenport is in the mold of a Dunlap. 

DT Harrison Phillips: Watched a lot of Stanford this year and very rarely do I watch interior defenders but I couldn't keep my eyes off this guy. Led his team in tackles from DT! That is insane. I think he goes before I'd feel comfortable taking him but if he's there in the 3rd I'd jump all of it. Lacks a huge pass rushing presence but he is so sound. 

CB Tarvarus McFadden: We need fresh bodies at CB and McFadden has a great frame and a good base skill set to build off of. Tools alone may get him overdrafted a bit as there is work to do but it's all there. Played a lot of press man for Jimbo and can get a bit grabby due to his lack of play recognition but could be worth the gamble.

WR Jester Weah: Big kid at WR with some great speed. High points the ball well but needs work at the finer things, a lot of big catches at Pitt. A good tools guy in the mid/late rounds. If he shows out at the combine/bowl games watch out.

LB Jerome Baker: Another speedy LB out of Ohio State, he'll do well at the combine and that may get him over drafted. He's a better player than Darron Lee IMO. Had a down year this year compared to last but he may go off his tape from 2016. Wasn't as good in coverage this year as he showed he could be last year. 

Just a couple guys for now, if anyone has any opinions on these guys let's talk. They don't all fit what I think we'll be looking for come draft time but it's too early to narrow down too much. 

*You'll notice a pattern, defense, defense, defense.

Archived