Jaguars fire OC John DeFlippo

.Buzz

I was fine with him staying, though I agree that this bodes well for us in the dumping Foles completely crowd.

Problem is I'm unsure how many coaches are going to want to come be the OC here in what is likely a one year stint. This is a make or break year for the entire staff, so I feel like getting an accomplished OC is going to be tough. 

I don't know if that means promoting Keenan is a good idea, but I definitely feel like its going to be a relative no name.

18 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

I was fine with him staying, though I agree that this bodes well for us in the dumping Foles completely crowd.

Problem is I'm unsure how many coaches are going to want to come be the OC here in what is likely a one year stint. This is a make or break year for the entire staff, so I feel like getting an accomplished OC is going to be tough. 

I don't know if that means promoting Keenan is a good idea, but I definitely feel like its going to be a relative no name.

I also am unsure how attractive it'll be. I'm just hoping given the situation of there only being 4 jobs left with several previous HC/good OCs and a guy like Kitna there'd be a chance. But we'll see if they decide to take a year off instead.

If we go unproven, I'm definitely here for Keenan. I'd prefer if he could be a staple as a WR coach here for a longer period of time though. If he gets promoted, we're bad next year, then he's likely gone from the org. 

31 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

No it’s not 

How is it not? The owner felt obligated to come out and say that they're not being fired, that has to be an indicator that their leash is short. If we don't make the playoffs (or at least win double digit games), house will be cleaned. Seems pretty clear.

I'm all for "blah blah we're a joke organization with a tradition of failure", but I don't think we're going to keep the current regime around past this year if we fail again. We'll hire a new staff to fail with.

• Like 1

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

How is it not? The owner felt obligated to come out and say that they're not being fired, that has to be an indicator that their leash is short. If we don't make the playoffs (or at least win double digit games), house will be cleaned. Seems pretty clear.

I'm all for "blah blah we're a joke organization with a tradition of failure", but I don't think we're going to keep the current regime around past this year if we fail again. We'll hire a new staff to fail with.

Think it's because he did the same last year.

Even though I do think it's crazy they're back given what they said last year, Coughlin who clearly had his hand in everything and has likely been a big part of why we are where we are was fired. Let's not act like they did nothing.

You may not agree with it, I don't either. But if they are terrible again next year acting as if it'll just be status quo and no one will get canned is just ridiculous.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Think it's because he did the same last year.

Even though I do think it's crazy they're back given what they said last year, Coughlin who clearly had his hand in everything and has likely been a big part of why we are where we are was fired. Let's not act like they did nothing.

You may not agree with it, I don't either. But if they are terrible again next year acting as if it'll just be status quo and no one will get canned is just ridiculous.

I mean, frankly, I don't think Khan should've had to come out and say that we're not firing the staff last year. We were bad, but ravaged by injuries and hampered by a bad QB. I think it would've been unreasonable to fire Marrone after last year. 

This year, yeah, probably should've canned everyone. I was somewhat okay with keeping Marrone because it meant Minshew in his 2nd year in the same offense, but now we're changing offenses....

But I still don't think there's any indication that we're tied to Marrone like Cincy was to Marvin or anything like that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

I mean, frankly, I don't think Khan should've had to come out and say that we're not firing the staff last year. We were bad, but ravaged by injuries and hampered by a bad QB. I think it would've been unreasonable to fire Marrone after last year. 

This year, yeah, probably should've canned everyone. I was somewhat okay with keeping Marrone because it meant Minshew in his 2nd year in the same offense, but now we're changing offenses....

But I still don't think there's any indication that we're tied to Marrone like Cincy was to Marvin or anything like that.

Agreed.

Coming off an AFC Championship Game in 2017, couldn't fire him after one down year. Especially not with the QB situation he was saddled with. Kind of crazy he did release a statement like that thinking back.

14 hours ago, Jaguarfan said:

Marrone pretty much said next year won’t be predicated on the win lose record.. it appears to me they have a long leash.. why give him one yr with more say to build a shot in the dark coming from where the team is currently at? It makes no sense it has to be more than a year prove it.. There is no possible way this team is going to the playoffs next year unless the rest of the NFL forgets how to play football.

Kahn also stated at the end of 18' he wasn't going to allow a losing 19 season under the current regime.. yet here we sit with the same people.. How can you take a person's word when their actions don't match what they say?.. Saying in no uncertain terms that someone won't be fired after an abysmal season doesn't mean they'll be canned.. after a losing season.. I don't know how you gather that from we're coming off a losing season, i'm going to give you another shot at it, as this is a make or break.

Edited by DuvalsKing

13 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Marrone pretty much said next year won’t be predicated on the win lose record.. it appears to me they have a long leash.. why give him one yr with more say to build a shot in the dark coming from where the team is currently at? It makes no sense it has to be more than a year prove it.. There is no possible way this team is going to the playoffs next year unless the rest of the NFL forgets how to play football.

Kahn also stated at the end of 18' he wasn't going to allow a losing 19 season under the current regime.. yet here we sit with the same people.. How can you take a person's word when their actions don't match what they say?.. Saying in no uncertain terms that someone won't be fired after an abysmal season doesn't mean they'll be canned.. after a losing season.. I don't know how you gather that from we're coming off a losing season, i'm going to give you another shot at it, as this is a make or break.

We fired the guy who headed football operations and had his hand in multiple spots all over the organization. 

I wanted more, but let's not act like we kept things status quo here. 

23 hours ago, .Buzz said:

We fired the guy who headed football operations and had his hand in multiple spots all over the organization. 

I wanted more, but let's not act like we kept things status quo here. 

Caldwell is 38-76 that’s adding in his fluke *** season. Seems pretty status quo to me. 

33 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

Caldwell is 38-76 that’s adding in his fluke *** season. Seems pretty status quo to me. 

The guy who ran Jalen, ARob, and several other players out of town (look at Twitter with everyone clowning Coughlin including those players), signed Foles to a god awful contract, took his prototypical ground and pound RB that Coughlin is known to love top 5 over QBs and co., forced coaches on Marrones staff (most have ties to Coughlin, not Marrone), meddled with multiple parts of the team aj EVP shouldn't do, fined players illegally alienating them and forcing a ridiculous situation for Doug, didn't consult the coaching staff prior to making picks, and ultimately is likely the reason Yan is gone because he refused to have negotiations after their initial offer with him in July pissing him off and causing a hold out...is gone.

Seems pretty opposite of status quo to me, regardless of how you feel about Caldwell and Marrone (don't act like I wasn't also wanting to clean house, but they definitely made a significant change).

Edited by .Buzz