Jaguars fire OC John DeFlippo

.Buzz

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure many teams are taking 21 million guaranteed off your hands with Foles.

No one's expecting it.

If we trade him though, it's only a $15M cap hit and the guarantees are reasonable if I remember right.

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

No one's expecting it.

If we trade him though, it's only a $15M cap hit and the guarantees are reasonable if I remember right.

The team trading for him takes on

20: 16

21:5

The Jaguars would eat 18.5 and be done with it.

But you have to convince a team to take on 21 million in guaranteed money, which is a lot for a guy who got his job snatched by a day 3 pick.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The team trading for him takes on

20: 16

21:5

The Jaguars would eat 18.5 and be done with it.

But you have to convince a team to take on 21 million in guaranteed money, which is a lot for a guy who got his job snatched by a day 3 pick.

3rd day pick or not, he played like one of if not the best rookie QB in football.

It doesn't sound like Foles was a Marrone guy and more so forced on him (as well as Flip as OC) to do a quick repair on offense for us. 

Idk if Foles can be what he once was, but if a team has QB questions and think they can win with competent QB play/need a vet for a year or two while a young guys develops, he's it.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

3rd day pick or not, he played like one of if not the best rookie QB in football.

It doesn't sound like Foles was a Marrone guy and more so forced on him (as well as Flip as OC) to do a quick repair on offense for us. 

Idk if Foles can be what he once was, but if a team has QB questions and think they can win with competent QB play/need a vet for a year or two while a young guys develops, he's it.

I do not doubt that Foles has some value.

His contract is a mess, a mess that the Jags need to get rid of.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I do not doubt that Foles has some value.

His contract is a mess, a mess that the Jags need to get rid of.

Indeed, but it all depends how things unfold. The letting go of Flip (with him going to you as a QB Coach and not an OC coach) my is he either didn't want to be "fired", or didn't agree with us moving forward with Minshew most likely as QB because I know him and Foles are tight.

Not to mention Foles said this situation is harder on him than STL which was a main culprit of early retirement for him, but he wants to keep playing. Makes me think he may agree to a restructure or there's already something in the cards to move him.

I don't really get this at all.  Like even if it means we're going to do everything possible to jettison Foles, which is good...at the end of the day, everyone so impressed with what Minshew did, do you not see how some credit it that is due to John DeFilippo?  Like...he's the OC who was working with Minshew to build that "found money" rookie season.  His system worked for Minshew, and helped make him what he was.  Also saw our centerpiece RB in Fournette look better, and saw good performance from some key receivers.

What exactly did Flip do wrong?  I can't really think of anything.  He coached a **** offense to a mediocre season under a cloud of awful Coughlin bull****.  That's a guy i'd have kept, if we're just rolling mostly status quo, and Minshew as our 2020 starting QB.  Continuity is important for a young QB.  Not Flips fault the OL sucked, lacked talent, and the defense was a disaster because they let important players go with no viable replacement.

On 13/01/2020 at 6:40 PM, .Buzz said:

Think it's because he did the same last year.

Even though I do think it's crazy they're back given what they said last year, Coughlin who clearly had his hand in everything and has likely been a big part of why we are where we are was fired. Let's not act like they did nothing.

You may not agree with it, I don't either. But if they are terrible again next year acting as if it'll just be status quo and no one will get canned is just ridiculous.

That's the point though.  If they're terrible again next year...it has to be a complete top to bottom housecleaning.  Which is why nobody of any real note is going to want to come near this Jaguars OC position with a 10 foot pole.  Why would you sign on as a sought after candidate, to basically a 1-year deal, that might not even make it the full season?

On 15/01/2020 at 10:14 AM, .Buzz said:

The guy who ran Jalen, ARob, and several other players out of town (look at Twitter with everyone clowning Coughlin including those players), signed Foles to a god awful contract, took his prototypical ground and pound RB that Coughlin is known to love top 5 over QBs and co., forced coaches on Marrones staff (most have ties to Coughlin, not Marrone), meddled with multiple parts of the team aj EVP shouldn't do, fined players illegally alienating them and forcing a ridiculous situation for Doug, didn't consult the coaching staff prior to making picks, and ultimately is likely the reason Yan is gone because he refused to have negotiations after their initial offer with him in July pissing him off and causing a hold out...is gone.

Seems pretty opposite of status quo to me, regardless of how you feel about Caldwell and Marrone (don't act like I wasn't also wanting to clean house, but they definitely made a significant change).

Coughlin sucks.  Everyone gets it.  But this is the disingenuous disgusting side of the whole thing.  Coughlin is being made out as the scapegoat for literally everything that went wrong...in a catastrophically parochial sense.  There were sooooooooooooooooooooooo many other disastrous aspects of this organization, a lot of them dating back well before Coughlin.

But now for some reason, they've whipped fans around to pretend like Coughlin singlehandedly made every bad decision in Khan's tenure as owner basically.  Now that he's gone, we can go back to being a ******* embarrassingly bad team for another half decade of "rebuilding" and let Caldwell and others get chance number 3...despite proving they don't know what they're doing.

Edited by Tugboat