GDT NFC CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP: Packers @ San Francisco 49ers

squire12

2 hours ago, Silent502 said:

I agree. Pettine did a good job of varying his scheme in the Seattle game. There were plays when it was man coverage outside the hashes & zone in middle. Several plays when we're playing cover-2 on one side & cover-4 on the other. Pretty confusing on a QB. That & stopping the run was probably why Seattle only had 3 points at halftime. Mostly zone in the 2nd half because of game flow & to have eyes on Wilson if he escaped the pocket.

Seattle also played into GBs hand. They tried to force the run. When they got down big... it turned into the Wilson show. Had they done that from jump how different would the game be?

The positive we can take away is that the 49ers offense is very predictable too. If GB doesn’t worry about the window dressing Shanahan does they know mostly where the ball is going... middle of the field. Like 76% of their passes end up there.

So if pettine just tells them... look don’t bite or over react... you stay in the middle of the field the ball is going to come to you. Force Jimmy to throw outside the numbers... I don’t think he can do it. And you’d be forcing SF to play a way they havent really played yet.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, dwaye50327 said:

I'm still not sold 100% on this defense. After the last 49er meeting, the Packers played the NYG, WAS, CHI, MIN, and the Lions. With the exception of the Vikings, I'd hope the defense would play well against teams with weak offenses. Even against Seattle, the Seahawks were missing their top 3 RBs and some of their offensive line so there were no threat of a run game and the defense would just rush all day against Wilson. Either way, this is going to be a tough task for the Packers defense trying to stop the niner running game with all the misdirection, guys in motion, etc.

You make great points. 49ers are the worst possible match-up for our defense. Hard to maintain discipline with the motion, misdirection, etc. We have no answer for Kittle. Also, in the 1st matchup they didn't really exploit their RB's vs our ILB's in the passing game, which could be ugly. 

If we can slow down the run & get into 3rd & distance, I like our chances. We have to force Garoppolo off his 1st read & hope our rush can get home. In the first game our blitzes worked really well. The package where Za'Darius Smith roams around the line caused a fumble the first time it was unveiled. Also, after Garoppolo threw the INT against the Vikings the 49ers leaned on the running game. Somewhat telling. He's had a great year, though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Seattle also played into GBs hand. They tried to force the run. When they got down big... it turned into the Wilson show. Had they done that from jump how different would the game be?

The positive we can take away is that the 49ers offense is very predictable too. If GB doesn’t worry about the window dressing Shanahan does they know mostly where the ball is going... middle of the field. Like 76% of their passes end up there.

So if pettine just tells them... look don’t bite or over react... you stay in the middle of the field the ball is going to come to you. Force Jimmy to throw outside the numbers... I don’t think he can do it. And you’d be forcing SF to play a way they havent really played yet.

True. However, we stop Seattle on several of their 2nd half scoring drives if on 3rd down Za'Darius Smith doesn't crash down & lose contain & allow Wilson to escape the pocket. Luckily, Garoppolo is a sitting duck.

I don't know. If the 49ers figure out early we can't cover Kittle they should just throw it to him over & over, like Mahomes does with Kelce.

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

That's actually incorrect. We threw to the middle less than we did to both the left and right. 

Short pass attempts:

• Right- 157 attempts
  • Left - 124 attempts
  • Middle- 114 attempts

Deep pass attempts

• Right- 24
  • Left - 22
  • Middle- 12

Though I do suppose it depends on what you define as the middle

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You think we are going to be winning by so much that the game will be boring? Me too.

Yeah, something like that. 

Just don’t think you can explain away a 30 point drubbing when we were completely healthy and coming off a bye. I’ve heard Viking fan excuses this week too, and they all sound empty. It’s hard when a team is so dominant on both lines.

Could we get an early turnover or ST TD or something that puts them in a hole and they start to press and make mistakes?  Sure. Or Rodgers is just so dialed in that the offense can’t be stopped?  I guess it’s possible. Just don’t think it’s all that likely. 

And I’m a guy that usually tries to find the bright side in the Packer’s play. 

Boy, I pray someone drags up this post Sunday night and tells me what a moron I was being. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

That's actually incorrect. We threw to the middle less than we did to both the left and right. 

Short pass attempts:

• Right- 157 attempts
  • Left - 124 attempts
  • Middle- 114 attempts

Deep pass attempts

• Right- 24
  • Left - 22
  • Middle- 12

Though I do suppose it depends on what you define as the middle

That was the stat coming from warren sharp that their passes are going to the middle at a crazy high rate... I believe the number was 76% of the time.

He defined the middle between the numbers. Inside the numbers (middle) outside of the numbers (not the middle).

Rob Demovsky -  The Packers have activated S Raven Greene in advance of Sunday's NFC Championship Game. He was designated to return off IR (ankle) and has been practicing for the last two weeks. They didn't have to make room since they had an open spot.

9 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think this game is just going to come down to a, how bad do you want it and what are you willing to do to get it situation.  The 49'ers probably have a slight edge in talent, but not enough to beat a Packers team that brings their A game and hopefully gets an ace performance from Aaron Rodgers.  He's pretty much the #1 key tomorrow .. if he's on like Donkey Kong we are going to the Super Bowl.

Nah, if both teams play their A game, 9ers win. 

If GB brings their A game and the 9ers don't, I like GB's chances.