GDT NFC CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP: Packers @ San Francisco 49ers

squire12

1 minute ago, Nick_gb said:

Wasn't Bulaga out for half that game and Bakhtiari was nursing an injury that affected his game? I think I read somewhere that he's really been back to his normal self the past 4 weeks or so.

Yes, Alex Light came in for Bulaga.  Thank god we have Veldheer if one of our tackles goes down today.   Linsley had a terrible game that day too.  If they all play like they are capable of our offense won't look so awful today.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What does everyone think of putting MVS on Sherman’s side? Beating him with speed is more likely, and I doubt Lazard beats him. Maybe MVS can get behind him a play or two

Adams seems more effective when he operates on the left side of our offense and Sherman plays on our right side. I like the idea of getting MVS deep but he's going to have to be in motion. He won't get off the LOS cleanly from a standing start v. Sherman. Sherman is just too good when he can get his hands on you. 

Lazard in the slot where he can block linebackers works too. 

10 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Adams seems more effective when he operates on the left side of our offense and Sherman plays on our right side. I like the idea of getting MVS deep but he's going to have to be in motion. He won't get off the LOS cleanly from a standing start v. Sherman. Sherman is just too good when he can get his hands on you. 

Lazard in the slot where he can block linebackers works too. 

Interesting. What kind of personnel group do you think would be most effective? I’m not an Xs and Os guy but I’m shocked we haven’t seen Jamal and Jones on the field more together . 

I'm not sure what there is to even write about in terms of offensive incompetence in the first 49ers game.

Just listing the drive killing sequences paints a pretty ugly picture of the first half. . 

+++

A 50/50 prayer ball to MVS. MVS was covered by Sherman and Rodgers threw the ball 4 yards out of bounds.

A 2nd and 10 run that Arik Armstead beat the double team of Turner and Bakhtiari and tackled Jones for a gain of 0 in an unassigned gap.

A sack/fumble in which Rodgers misread the blitz, starred down Graham as the blitz beater, then held the ball loose in the pocket for way too long, and Turner/Bakhtiari mishandled a stunt. 

+++

TE play action to Graham that went for 7 yards.

A run to the right against a stacked box that Linsley blew an easy downblock on. Loss of 1 yard.

A Geronimo Allision drop on a laser ball on a well covered slant.

+++

A Williams run to the right that both Linsley and Kumerow blew key blocks on. Loss of 3 yards.

Shovel pass checkdown/run to Williams for a gain of 4.

"WR" screen to Williams who is lined up in the slot. This was a drop and it was better this way because there was nowhere to run and he had a LB in his face immediately.

+++

Designed play action had Vitale blocking Nick Bosa 1v1. This led to an immediate pressure and Rodgers being lucky to scramble for 4. Adams had Sherman cooked and roasted for a TD if Rodgers had time to throw.

Beautiful blocking and run by Jones. Allison got called for a bull**** illegal block penalty.

Rodgers misread the coverage and threw the checkdown ball to Allison getting him lit up. Gain of 3.

Jimmy Ward makes a great play to breakup what would have been a beautiful first down throw to Adams on a well run 13 yard curl route. Hard to do much on 3rd and 13.

+++

WR screen to Allison goes nowhere as Tartt runs him down from the backside for a gain of only 2 on good blocking by Kumerow and Lewis on the front end. 

Rodgers throws a 50/50 ball to Adams that may have been on target if the DB didn't get away with some questionable contact down the field. Had Lewis open for a first down.

Got 7 of the 8 yards needed for a first down on a Davante Adams slant route.

4th down conversion fails when Linsley gets stoned 1v1 against  Earl Mitchell, the 49ers 5th DT. Jones runs into the back of those two and goes nowhere.

+++

A terrible play action play with only two receivers in the pattern, both running 5 yard slant routes. Sherman reads it perfect and sits on Adams leading to a throw away.

2nd and 10 pitch to Jones to the outside. May have gone for a decent gain if Davante had blocked somebody instead of misreading it and letting the safety shoot free. Gain of only 2.

Aaron Jones blows a protection assignment leading to Rodgers being under pressure immediately. Rodgers does a good job of avoiding it and making a really beautiful off balance throw to Graham. Graham drops a really tough ball with a defender draped on him. 

+++

Williams gets 4 yards on a nice 1st down run.

Rodgers overthows the vertical ball to Adams off the sluggo route.

Rodgers tried to throw an outside slant to Jones that the 49ers were all over and knocked out of bounds. 

+++

Lazard beat Sherman on a skinny post route, but Rodgers doesn't look at him. Checks it down to Jones for a gain of 2

Davante Adams is open on an outside curl route for the first down, but Rodgers throws it too far out of bounds.

Bad man to man concept against the pressure package had nobody open. Bosa beats Light for a sack. 

+++

Honestly this was so bad that I don't know if there's anything to even draw from it.

I suspect that Linsley won't have as bad of a game which will help immensely, he was dreadful.

I suspect that the upgrade from Allison to Lazard will help. It didn't show in the stat sheet, but Lazard took it to Sherman a handful of times and was in position to make some plays if Rodgers could have gotten him the ball.

I suspect that having Bulaga back will help significantly in the outside protection. 

I suspect we might not get taken off course by the refs twice on super weak calls, which would definitely help. 

I pray like hell we're going to stop with the 2nd and long runs. Our first four drive killing sequences featured a 2nd down run. Five of the first six also. 

I pray like hell we're going to actually show some ability to win deep. The 49ers showed our passing game zero respect and we did nothing to answer that challenge. We called a scared game plan. 

I pray like hell Rodgers is going to play better. He needs to be on if we're going to win. This is going to be an "all hands on deck game". The running game and the defense isn't going to be able to carry us through this one by themselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Interesting. What kind of personnel group do you think would be most effective? I’m not an Xs and Os guy but I’m shocked we haven’t seen Jamal and Jones on the field more together . 

I think LaFleur will mix those packages up routinely like he has done all season. I know we have to run the ball better, can't turn the ball over and have to be one hell of a lot better than 1-15 on 3rd down. 

The fact we were blown out plays in our favor. We know we played our worst game of the year. The 9ers have to be a bit overconfident. 

The biggest concern is are we good enough to stand toe to toe with them? IMO, we need to be +2 in the turnover battle. Pressure on Jimmy GQ helps immensely. 

28 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

What does everyone think of putting MVS on Sherman’s side? Beating him with speed is more likely, and I doubt Lazard beats him. Maybe MVS can get behind him a play or two

Lazard lowkey gave Sherman the business last time we played. He didn't get the opportunities, but he had him beat a few times. 

Witherspoon is the weak link in this defense. Davante shouldn't see Sherman's side. You need to attack this defense on the perimeter. They let their CBs play some ball unprotected. 

Other than that one matchup, we're going to be playing junk ball. What can you scheme open? What can you do as far as motion and playaction to force the false steps you need?

Then can you land your punches when you force the openings? Can the protection hold up long enough to take advantage of those openings. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Leader said:

“When I was 5 and I watched Joe Montana take the Niners down the field against the Bengals and throw a touchdown to John Taylor for the win,” Rodgers said on gal pal Danica Patrick’s podcast, “I remember thinking, that’s what I wanted to do. Then fast forward to 14 and I’m watching MJ, Michael Jordan, last game with the Bulls, and he crosses up [Bryon] Russell at the foul line and drains a mid-range shot, and that’s what I always said, ‘I want to do that. I want the ball in the clutch moments.’ ”

He is 36 now, and he knows you better seize the moment when you have it staring you in the face, because you are never promised another one.

Great, Rodgers is going senile already.  Michael Jordan pushed Bryon Russell.

20 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Witherspoon is the weak link in this defense. Davante shouldn't see Sherman's side. You need to attack this defense on the perimeter. They let their CBs play some ball unprotected. 

Other than that one matchup, we're going to be playing junk ball. What can you scheme open? What can you do as far as motion and playaction to force the false steps you need?

Then can you land your punches when you force the openings? Can the protection hold up long enough to take advantage of those openings. 

I doubt Witherspoon plays after last week. It will be Moseley, but I agree with the point. Why put Tae on Sherman if you don't have to. I'd switch between Lazard and MVS there. Just keep running him deep and letting him battle with Lazard. Wear him down.

It's really all going to come down to if we can block them. Last time we had our worst effort of the season. Our guys are as talented as they are, just need to play better. San Fran does a ton of stunting where they get away with defensive holding, so hopefully we have a plan for that or are going to get the refs involved. Bosa is a tough draw for the way our tackles are taught to block, but there aren't many other tackles I'd want to go into battle with than a healthy Bahk and Bulaga.

Defensively it should be the same game plan we employ on the Bears and Vikings. Beat the hell out of them up front and make the QB win the game. Don't drop the 1-2 picks Jimmy is going to throw right at you.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I doubt Witherspoon plays after last week. It will be Moseley, but I agree with the point. Why put Tae on Sherman if you don't have to. I'd switch between Lazard and MVS there. Just keep running him deep and letting him battle with Lazard. Wear him down.

It's really all going to come down to if we can block them. Last time we had our worst effort of the season. Our guys are as talented as they are, just need to play better. San Fran does a ton of stunting where they get away with defensive holding, so hopefully we have a plan for that or are going to get the refs involved. Bosa is a tough draw for the way our tackles are taught to block, but there aren't many other tackles I'd want to go into battle with than a healthy Bahk and Bulaga.

Defensively it should be the same game plan we employ on the Bears and Vikings. Beat the hell out of them up front and make the QB win the game. Don't drop the 1-2 picks Jimmy is going to throw right at you.

Which has kicked our *** all year. I get Jenkins being a disaster, he's a rookie, but Turner needs to get his **** together. He was a wreck against the Seahawks.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lazard lowkey gave Sherman the business last time we played. He didn't get the opportunities, but he had him beat a few times. 

Listening to some pods this morning, I guess Lazard did have a fairly good game. I just worry given Rodgers’ history staying away from Sherman at all costs it’ll shorten the field for SF to cover.

Also listening to some pods it reaffirmed my thoughts after the week 12 game. If it weren’t for 

two questionable calls

a fumble by AR

and Light being in for Bulaga

its a different game .

Kenny and Bahktiari weren’t playing especially great ball then too.

Hell, our run d was pretty spotty then too

Side note: I wish we played the first game. I have GB and KC to win the SB and if we won the first game I’d cheer for Tennessee 

Edited by Rainmaker90