2020 Free Agent Thread

gopherwrestler

Ok so I gave things a shot and mistakes were likely made, but here's what were working with.

Cut: Griffen, Joseph, Stephen, Rhodes, Elflin

Extended:

-Harris for APY of 14M. I gotta be honest, I don't think he gets this much on the open market. Teams tend to pay hype and Harris doesnt have it and safeties have been languishing in free agency the last few years. I think they have a great shot at keeping him and they 100% should prioritize it.

-Cousins: I don't know what an extension really looks like for him, but I for this little exercise i dropped his base salary to 20M which...idk if thats realistic, but we're giving it a shot.

-Reiff: many wont agree but if I'm the Vikings I'm offering him a restructure to guard money and moving him there. I know everyone's going to get flashbacks here but Reiff should have a much easer time transitioning to guard given his skill set. He's more athletic then Remmers and has the speed and power to win inside, Remmers was dependant on technique to win outside and has a hard time transitioning because of it.

Free agency: so that puts the team at about 26M for free agents, which is enough for one of Chris Jones or Byron Jones and then fill in pieces. I prefer Byron because I'd rather pay coverage and he might actually be cheaper. The top DTs are averaging 17m a year and I wouldn't pay that for CJ over paying a top Corner. Only caveat is I'm not sure just how good Byron is. He had an elite year a year or two ago but I'm not fully sure what he's done lately, but if top 10 CB is the expectation with him, than pay him.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 2:29 PM, gopherwrestler said:

Who do we keep? What are their expected cost? Who do you let walk? Any free agents you would like from other teams? Are their any links out there that might bring them to Minnesota? Let the offseason talk start.

Total Cap Liabilities: $206,449,240
  • Top 51: $205,690,012
  • Team Cap Space: ($5,443,264)
  • Offense: $102,509,447
  • Defense: $102,576,921
  • Special: $603,644
  • via OverTheCap

Vikings Free Agents

Everson Griffen*** listed as club option/voided contract

Trae Waynes

Anthony Harris

Rashod Hill

Andrew Sendejo

Mackensie Alexander

Dan Bailey

Britton Colquitt

Sean Mannion

Dakota Dozier

Ameer Abdullah

Brett Jones

Laquon Treadwell

C.J. Ham - RFA

Kentrell Brothers

David Morgan

Jayron Kearse

Stephen Weatherly

Eric Wilson - RFA

Marcus Sherels

Let all the bold walk.

Trade Dalvin Cook to get ammunition for the draft in case a player drops and we can pick up a QB.

Let the QB sit under Kirk for a year.

Cut Rhodes and Linval Joseph.

Sign either Kareem Hunt or Kenyan Drake.

RB by committee approach. 

• Like 1

Can I ask a serious question here?  Why is it with all the late round picks Spielman amasses that we can't get a return man with speed?  Surely a later round guy with speed who isn't necessarily big or a route running phenom can be picked up to keep us from hounding Sherrels forever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hyperborean said:

Can I ask a serious question here?  Why is it with all the late round picks Spielman amasses that we can't get a return man with speed?  Surely a later round guy with speed who isn't necessarily big or a route running phenom can be picked up to keep us from hounding Sherrels forever. 

Didn't we try this with Roc Thomas? 

11 hours ago, Hyperborean said:

They've tried multiple times.  Off the top of the head, Jeff Badet and Stacy Coley were 2 guys they tried with...and they failed because the ST coach couldn't trust them to hold onto the ball.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Let’s not

Well, if anything, play-action is one of the few strengths that Mariota has.  I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in as Kirk's backup, although I think someone else might give him a better chance to compete.   

Edited by swede700