How is Bill Cowher a HOF'er?

Uncle Buck

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

FWIW, I do think that people are forgetting the mediocrity that Cowher kind of pulled the Steelers out of at that time. 

Pittsburgh had some really bad seasons in the 1980s, and a lot of Chuck Noll's players from the 70s team were retiring.  

What attests to Chuck Noll's greatness is how he was still drafting great players well into the 80s (Greg Lloyd, Carnell Lake, Louis Lipps, Dermonntti Dawson, etc.)

But, Cowher was able to take those players along with great players he acquired through trades and signings to generate a ton of winning seasons throughout the 90s and 2000s.  

5 hours ago, Forge said:

FWIW, I do think that people are forgetting the mediocrity that Cowher kind of pulled the Steelers out of at that time. 

Which makes what Holmgren did with the Packers and Seahawks very impressive. Both of those franchises were NFL doormats for quite some time before he took over. 

Coryell, I thought he was in a few years ago and was shocked to learn he wasn't. Then to consider the nfl of today, and one could go a step further and say that he is the biggest influence on todays game.

The Chin bust will have appeal but Cowher  really wasted away the steelers in the mid 90's.  Montana wanted to go to pitt( but went to KC instead) , but cowher thought he was set with o'donnell xD That alone should ban him from the HOF, case closed. I couldn't believe that when I read it recently, back then information wasn't as easy to access. 

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

There's no way Cowher should've gone in over Mike Holmgren. Holmgren coached 3 HOF QBs, won 3 NFC Championships, 1 Super Bowl as a coach, 2 as a coordinator/position coach and has a coaching tree that has won 3 Super Bowls as head coaches as well as Andy Reid who's highly accomplished in his own right.

Cowher was more of a TV stunt to me.

I agree, and the TV stunt is a way of looking at it because how often are TV personalities in the HOF while lacking coaching or on field accolades ? The stunt is a way to put it, I mean he still needs to learn how to talk/spit with the new teeth, and that also affects the chin effect in a bad way.  They better at least get the chin right for the bust. I was shocked he got in while other players still aren't in.  LeBeau got stats as a player and was a revolutionary coach, so he made sense, but not so sure about cowher but am happy for him I guess. 

7 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Troy should have gone in before him.

Troy better be 1st ballot. They surprised Cowher and Johnson on the set, that was all nice. At the end of the day, they better get Troy in their 1st ballot and there are several other players too, but get the right ones.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boknows34 said:

and never really had a franchise QB until the tail end of his career. 

how is this NOT his fault or mostly his fault? Thats another reason to disagree with him getting in.  

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

That's his fault for not finding a capable starter at QB for a decade plus. Don't understand why he should get credit for not having solved a problem.

and to think Montana wanted to go to the steelers in the early 90's

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

That's his fault for not finding a capable starter at QB for a decade plus. Don't understand why he should get credit for not having solved a problem. Cower was a great coach, but came up short so many times in the spotlight. The 1994 AFC Championship, the 1995 Super Bowl, 1997 AFC Championship, 2001 AFC Championship, and 2004 AFC Championship. Four championship home games, four losses. He finally broke through in 2005, and I will say at his lowest moments his teams were always competitive. Still, he shouldn't have leapfrogged Mike Holmgren. That's bull****.

LOL. You're criticizing him for not "finding a capable starting QB", yet you're also criticizing him for making it to 6 conference championships and two super bowls within a 15 year period!? 

How many other HC's have accomplished this?

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

LOL. You're criticizing him for not "finding a capable starting QB", yet you're also criticizing him for making it to 6 conference championships and two super bowls within a 15 year period!? 

How many other HC's have accomplished this?

I'm saying it shouldn't be treated as a feather in the cap for why he didn't go further in his career.

How many HOF coaches lost 4 conference championships at home? Or missed the playoffs entirely three straight seasons?

I don't think Cower shouldn't be in. I'm saying he shouldn't have leapfrogged Holmgren.

Edited by PapaShogun

Just now, PapaShogun said:

I'm saying it shouldn't be treated as a feather in the cap for why he didn't go further in his career.

How many HOF coaches lost 4 conference championships at home?

Not many HC's even get to the opportunity to lose 4 conference championship games, which is my point. Much less the opportunity to lose them at home.

Winning in the NFL is hard to do. Making it to the CC game and SB is incredibly tougher to do. Much less 6 times. 

5 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I don't think Cower shouldn't be in. I'm saying he shouldn't have leapfrogged Holmgren.

I just saw this edit. I think Holmgren should be in as well. Now whether I think he should have been in before Cowher...we'll have to agree to disagree.

POP QUIZ: How many NFL coaches meet all of the following criteria but are still not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

1. At least five years since retirement
2. At least 15 seasons as a head coach
3. At least 149 career wins
4. At least a .623 career winning percentage
5. At least 10 playoff seasons as a head coach
6. At least 12 playoff wins
7. At least two Super Bowl or pre-1966 NFL/AFL Championship Game appearances
8. At least one Super Bowl or pre-1966 NFL/AFL championship

ANSWER: Zero.

Class dismissed. Do your homework before declaring that Bill Cowher doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

There's no way Cowher should've gone in over Mike Holmgren. Holmgren coached 3 HOF QBs, won 3 NFC Championships, 1 Super Bowl as a coach, 2 as a coordinator/position coach and has a coaching tree that has won 3 Super Bowls as head coaches as well as Andy Reid who's highly accomplished in his own right.

Cowher was more of a TV stunt to me.

Not sure why the bolded makes him a better candidate.  Cowher has the same SB wins and a better Winning % (that matters) and 1 less Conference Championship in 2 less years of coaching.  Not that I think coaching HOF'rs should matter much on a resume but Cowher has coached 5 of them with more likely to come.  This isn't to say I don't think Holmgren is a candidate but I don't think it's as egregious as you make it out to be.  But I am biased.  

• Like 1