Week 2 - Rams vs. Redskins

RamRod

Just now, RamRod said:

I hope you're right. Our run defense was bad today and Hyde always seems to play well against us.

It was, but I have faith that Wade will adjust. At this point, I'd get Ebukam and Littleton on the field at the expense of Barron.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Austin is just a punching bag here. He let the previous punt go, and it was downed at the 1. He nearly sprung a punt for a TD earlier and got tripped up by one of the few guys in position to prevent a huge return on that play because Countess did a poor job of blocking.

Austin has major warts as a WR (his lack of football IQ is the biggest one), but he's a really good PR.

Didn't he muff one last week too because he took his eye off of it too quick? 

He just tries to get too cute a lot. When a ball is bouncing around, just let it go. I agree that when he gets it in his hands he's great, but he needs to be more disciplined. There's no excuse for catching a punt at the 5 yard line. 

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

It was, but I have faith that Wade will adjust. At this point, I'd get Ebukam and Littleton on the field at the expense of Barron.

You also have to figure that part of the "adjustment" is going to be Donald getting accustom to rushing from playing in a slightly different technique than he was previously lined up at.  The pass-rushing actually tends to come much easier to interior rushers in that transition, the run defense takes a bit more time because you're facing a different type of double-team than you're used to.  (It also doesn't help when the ref allows OL to hold you with double-overhooks on multiple occasions uncalled.)

With the way the Niners' passing offense is going, we're probably going to be able to sellout against the run a good amount.

3 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Didn't he muff one last week too because he took his eye off of it too quick? 

He just tries to get too cute a lot. When a ball is bouncing around, just let it go. I agree that when he gets it in his hands he's great, but he needs to be more disciplined. There's no excuse for catching a punt at the 5 yard line. 

I 100% disagree. Football doesn't work on blanket rules. As I said previously, Way had just killed a punt at the 1-yard line. He appeared to outkick his coverage on that punt. Austin was right to field it. Countess blew the play with a bad block, and the Redskins gunner made a great tackle in space.

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

You also have to figure that part of the "adjustment" is going to be Donald getting accustom to rushing from playing in a slightly different technique than he was previously lined up at.  The pass-rushing actually tends to come much easier to interior rushers in that transition, the run defense takes a bit more time because you're facing a different type of double-team than you're used to.  (It also doesn't help when the ref allows OL to hold you with double-overhooks on multiple occasions uncalled.)

With the way the Niners' passing offense is going, we're probably going to be able to sellout against the run a good amount.

Yep. We did a nice job of stopping the run once we started stacking the box. We were respecting Cousins and the play-action pass in the first half to our detriment.

I watched a lot of the game and it's fair to be disappointed, but reading through this thread - I think some of you guys are being a bit too hard.  There were some really unfortunately moments:  Thompson's huge TD run, Gurley's fumble, Goff's INT, etc; It's not the end of the world.  This is part of the growing process of young players.  Even with this loss, I think the Rams are the best looking team in the division thus far.  I was really hoping the Seahawks offense would improve this week, but the opposite happened.  The Niners are a feisty team, but the Rams should be able to pull the win out on Thursday night.

17 minutes ago, showtime said:

I watched a lot of the game and it's fair to be disappointed, but reading through this thread - I think some of you guys are being a bit too hard.  There were some really unfortunately moments:  Thompson's huge TD run, Gurley's fumble, Goff's INT, etc; It's not the end of the world.  This is part of the growing process of young players.  Even with this loss, I think the Rams are the best looking team in the division thus far.  I was really hoping the Seahawks offense would improve this week, but the opposite happened.  The Niners are a feisty team, but the Rams should be able to pull the win out on Thursday night.

I'm disappointed about the loss, but I'm not too mad. There's definitely progress in this team. Goff still looked fairly good, minus the interception. Todd Gurley looked more like the Gurley we saw from his rookie year. Last year's team would've given up after getting down early but we still fought.

Very disappointed in the final outcome of the game. This was a winnable game and it would have put us on the track to legitimacy. These are the kinds of games we need to win before we get taken seriously. Had a few things gone differently, we may have come away with a win: Woods avoiding two killer penalties in the same driver, Gurley not losing that fumble, etc. The Goff INT was also bad but I don't think that was the reason we lost as much as it was the nail in the coffin. 

This game showed that we are still a young team with a coach that's still learning the nuances of being a head coach. Biggest thing today was that we couldn't stop them on defense, especially in the run game. Fortunately, I'm confident that Wade will change that sooner rather than later. I think if this game was played six to eight weeks from now, we come away with a win. But we're still learning the new system on both offense and defense, as well as all gelling together. 

On the bright side:

Gurley showed us the running back that we all fell in love with two years ago again. 

Everett made some huge plays. While they were scarce, he's made much more of an impression than I'd expect from a rookie TE. 

Good to have Donald back and he's only going to progress throughout the year as he continues to learn the new system. 

There was some real fight in this team today and that has to leave you at least a little inspired despite the final score. 

This one stung today but there is light at the end of this tunnel. That I am sure about. 

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Nah. The Redskins OL is light years better than the 49ers OL.

This is true.

That being said, us 49er fans have low bars for success. If you give up the first offensive touchdown to the niners this year, we will mock your team as though we won the game...while secretly crying and eating animal crackers and vanilla bean ice cream in bed.

Just now, Forge said:

This is true.

That being said, us 49er fans have low bars for success. If you give up the first offensive touchdown to the niners this year, we will mock your team as though we won the game...while secretly crying and eating animal crackers and vanilla bean ice cream in bed.

I'm fine with giving y'all a pity TD. I just want the W and for Goff to continue looking like a NFL starting QB. We aren't winning the Super Bowl this year either ways.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

I'm fine with giving y'all a pity TD. I just want the W and for Goff to continue looking like a NFL starting QB. We aren't winning the Super Bowl this year either ways.

Given how bad the offense is for us, I imagine that pity TD you give us will actually be a kickoff return following a score that put you guys up 20-0 or something and not anything Brian Hoyer did right.

Archived