What do you do when you're good, but not good enough?

Hukos

Divisional round hell, like the Texans are in sucks. Other teams have been in this situation before too. If you mess with the core of the team too much, you risk just blowing it up because you weren't satisfied. However, if you never even get past the divisional round, people will talk about how you wasted your core group of talent, and why you're a compete joke and should never be taken seriously. It's pretty rare that teams in this spot ever really break through to finally win a title (Bill Cowher's Steelers are the only I can think of that pulled this off). It seems like at least, teams in this spot have their core guys get old, retire, and the team falls apart anyway, despite never accomplishing anything relevant (think the Chargers teams of the late 2000's).

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

(HINT: What did the Titans do when they were good, but not good enough under Mike Mularkey?)

I specifically remember that move being decried back then because Mularkey was supposedly a good coach and there's no guarantee that you can do better. I do agree though, if you feel like the team is not going to win a title, you gotta move on, but a lot of people in the media think that's wrong so I dunno.

Edited by Hukos

Usually being stuck in mediocrity is because you have a FO/coaching staff that is good at developing talent, but cannot win close games because their in-game management is horrible.    Or you have a QB that's OK, but not great.    

The only way you take the next step - you take a HUGE deep breath, and you move on from your foundational-setting HC / OC - to ones that can maximize win potential in-game.    DEN did that with John Fox to Gary Kubiak after 2014.    The scary part is when you move on, you definitely take away the safe floor - but you also remove the cap on the ceiling for your team.

The even-harder move is when it's a QB.  QB talent sucks league-wide, so it's hard to let go of even average talent.  But in the end, it's the only hope of moving forward if that's your limit - unless you can build an otherwise perfect team (TAM with Brad Johnson, BAL with Trent Dilfer and DEN with broken-down Peyton Manning).

I mean, the first thing I would’ve done is not give up two first round picks for Tunsil. And then basically the rest of your draft for fringe players. BOB should’ve been fired before they allowed him to destroy their immediate and long-term future with bonehead moves. 

Just now, RamblinMan99 said:

Yet, people on this site insist that he doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.  

I'm not nearly as impressed with Cowher as I am with other coaches in the Hall of Fame (his playoff failures have a lot to do with that), but if you're going to argue for him: he's the only head coach in NFL history to win a Super Bowl after not winning one in his first five seasons. That's something no one else has ever done. I was mostly saying that because the idea that going divisional round and done constantly doesn't guarantee breaking out to winning a title, in fact it usually means the opposite.

9 minutes ago, Hukos said:

I'm not nearly as impressed with Cowher as I am with other coaches in the Hall of Fame.

That's not the point.  

There are a lot of of head coaches that are already in the Hall of Fame who are better than Cowher.  

The point is that he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame given his track record.  

Only the second head coach ever to reach the playoffs in his first six seasons and won Coach of the Year after just his first season as a head coach.

He's also just one of six head coaches to have seven divisional championships.  

Edited by RamblinMan99

☝
7 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

That's not the point.  

There are a lot of of head coaches that are already in the Hall of Fame who are better than Cowher.  

The point is that he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame given his track record.  

Only the second head coach ever to reach the playoffs in his first six seasons and won Coach of the Year after just his first season as a head coach.

He's also just one of six head coaches to have seven divisional championships.  

Not an accomplishment in that division.