Bears hire Bill Lazor as OC

.Buzz

None of these stats are solely indicative of Lazor's success or failures but may offer some insight.

Legend:
--Avg DVOA in both pass and rush are the combined year averages and where those teams ranked on average.

--The rankings in parentheses are where each teams DVOA would have finished in 2019

26VUFqN.png

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Mitch is entering his 4th year at QB and has already had 3 different OC's......

I guess but isn't it essentially the same offense under Nagy regardless of who is the OC? I doubt much changes in terms of terminology, etc. with Lazor

36 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Mitch is entering his 4th year at QB and has already had 3 different OC's......

Until Nagy becomes Mike Tomlin (giving coordinator control to both coordinators), to whom our OC title goes is largely inconsequential. I do think Nagy could absolutely succeed as that kind of coach. Guys respond to him. But that needs to be his role IMO. 

31 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I guess but isn't it essentially the same offense under Nagy regardless of who is the OC? I doubt much changes in terms of terminology, etc. with Lazor

Not necessarily, no. Just because Nagy will still be calling plays doesn't mean there won't be any adjustments to how the offense operates.

In staff meetings, each coach offer opinions on practice techniques, game-plans, strategies, how to put each player in the best positions to get the most out of them, etc. All based around the Nagy's offensive scheme. Even DC's and ST coaches offer opinions on offense. 

When coaches are putting a team together they first focus on "identity" and what they envision for each unit (OFF, DEF, ST) and then try to bring in guys who they believe can offer the best insight to field the best players at the best time. 

These things matter because one coach can't see and watch everything, and so he depends on these guys' opinions and expertise so that he relay this info and devise a plan ahead of time and adjust for it. 

If a coach feels like they weren't living up the standard that he expected of them then they're gone and they find someone else who they believe can.

And let's be honest, this offense has no identity right now. All of these moves that have been made are a perfect example.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Until Nagy becomes Mike Tomlin (giving coordinator control to both coordinators), to whom our OC title goes is largely inconsequential. I do think Nagy could absolutely succeed as that kind of coach. Guys respond to him. But that needs to be his role IMO. 

I agree that he should (edit to be more clear -- give up offensive control)-- (and think he would be an excellent HC), but right now that's not reality. he's a good head coach IMO, and it would suck to see him get fired and then go on to be what I THINK he can elsewhere. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Great. They are really going to keep forcing them?

They're not forcing them at all. They barely ran any RPO's this year which is part of the problem.

Nagy was supposed to be using the RPO in the same way the Reid and Pederson use them but he didn't. Hell, Pace and he built the entire offense around it.

Mitch, 40 RPO's in of 15 games (3.6/G)
Mahomes, 71 RPO's in 14 games (5.5/G)
Wentz, 80 RPO's in 16 games (5.4?g)

Team totals (inc backup QBs)
CHI, 175 drives, 44 RPO's
PHI, 187 drives, 81 RPO's
KC , 164 drives, 85 RPO's

Edited by JustAnotherFan

19 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

They're not forcing them at all. They barely ran any RPO's this year which is part of the problem.

Nagy was supposed to be using the RPO in the same way the Reid and Pederson use them but he didn't. Hell, Pace and he built the entire offense around it.

Mitch, 40 RPO's in of 15 games (3.6/G)
Mahomes, 71 RPO's in 14 games (5.5/G)
Wentz, 80 RPO's in 16 games (5.4?g)

Team totals (inc backup QBs)
CHI, 175 drives, 44 RPO's
PHI, 187 drives, 81 RPO's
KC , 164 drives, 85 RPO's

Trubisky is awful at them. That is what I meant by forcing them.

44 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Not necessarily, no. Just because Nagy will still be calling plays doesn't mean there won't be any adjustments to how the offense operates.

I meant more like the language and verbiage of the offense won't be changing as long as Nagy is here so not like Mitch and the other guys will have to start from scratch in that aspect.

Obviously the coaching won't remain the same... otherwise what would be the point of making a change.

Edited by topwop1

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I meant more like the language and verbiage of the offense won't be changing as long as Nagy is here so not like Mitch and the other guys will have to start from scratch in that aspect.

Obviously the coaching won't remain the same... otherwise what would be the point of making a change.

Every team changes their languages and verbiage every year n order to keep from getting repetitive, whether they change staff or not. 

I'm not saying the entire offense is starting from scratch. Yes, Nagy's team philosophy and offensive identity will still be the same. But how the offense operates, in general, is what COULD change.

Better input from coaches whose ideas are better aligned with the HC's = better results. This is why so many coordinators eventually become HC's in the first place. They start by fully buying into the HC's vision and make adjustments from there to make it work.

Now, whether or not Lazor can do this.....I have no clue.

Underwhelmed, but understandable that we weren't able to get a big name in as OC. Saw on Twitter that his offenses have never been higher than 22nd in rush attempts, though he's never been OC a team with a winning record so he may have done some serious playing from behind. Good to see that he's had success with YPC when the run game has been used - in his one full year with Miami as well, Lamar Miller had comfortably the best season of his career: most yards he'd ever had, joint-highest TDs and highest YPC by a mile.

Would have been really pleased with Shurmur, would have been cautiously excited about Kafka. I don't know enough about Lazor apart from checking stats and remembering him getting some praise in 2017 when he replaced Zampese in Cincy. So I guess I'll wait and see.