Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
.Buzz

Bears hire Bill Lazor as OC

Recommended Posts

Lazor is a OC in title only...Nagy will call all the plays...I reckon Ragone will take more to do with play design...Castillo will be in charge of the running game...Lazor is your new QB coach and nothing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's Nagy's 2nd year.  Everyone assumes whenever you fire people your going to get someone better.  Nagy was the someone better last year and got coach of the year, no? 

I can understand the offense has not looked good most of his tenure and that is his area.  

But both years the O line did not run block well, this year they did not pass or run block well.  

The QB has not developed like planned.

The TEs have been disappointing to say the least. 

 Is it Nagys's fault those guys are playing badly?

In part for sure.  But those are a lot of things to deal with.  Nagy can't coach O line. 

Nagy works with MT 80 hrs a week on reads and he still makes wrong reads.  

Nagy isn't responsible for signing and drafting TEs and OL. Though I don't absolve him of that eniterely because I bet he had input. 

I don't know that Nagy is a long term answer.  I do think it is a better model to keep a good/above average coach around for a long time rather than constantly cycling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Nagy will end up being, for the most part, the OC anyway. Was Lazor good with personnel?

If it was up to me, I'd consider it. Or, at least consider our fourth. Unfortunately, it ain't up to me, though. 

Do you think the Bengals will stand fast as to get a trade partner for Dalton? 

When the team was fully healthy at the beginning of the year, the offense looked good.  Lots of spread concepts, and RPOs.  Once Eifert went down, it started to fall apart.  I was a fan of Lazor the first 6 or so games, but the last 10 it was bad.  Dalton did go down though.  Can't say I've been impressed with Nagy's playcalling this year but let's see if two failed playcallers equate to success...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From

: “The marriage of Bill Lazor and the Bears will be interesting—Lazor’s known for simplifying scheme for players, weaponizing tempo and finding a way to get guys playing fast.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Every team changes their languages and verbiage every year n order to keep from getting repetitive, whether they change staff or not. 

I'm not saying the entire offense is starting from scratch. Yes, Nagy's team philosophy and offensive identity will still be the same. But how the offense operates, in general, is what COULD change.

Better input from coaches whose ideas are better aligned with the HC's = better results. This is why so many coordinators eventually become HC's in the first place. They start by fully buying into the HC's vision and make adjustments from there to make it work.

Now, whether or not Lazor can do this.....I have no clue.

 

Fair enough.  I just don't think changing OC's is a huge deal when the HC of the team is a former OC, is the one who is calling the plays and the offense is his essentially.

It would be a different story if we were changing OC's every other year under a defensive coach like John Fox or Lovie Smith since those guys have little to no offensive input whatsoever, but I don't think this makes things any more challenging for Mitch. 

Things cannot get any worse than this last season for him, or can they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Childress is departing. I kind of picture his exit interview as that scene from Office Space... "What would you say, it is, that you do here?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Lazor is a OC in title only...Nagy will call all the plays...I reckon Ragone will take more to do with play design...Castillo will be in charge of the running game...Lazor is your new QB coach and nothing more.

Apparently Lazor had lots of involvement with the run games in all of his previous stops, along with coaching up the QB's.

I don't know this for sure, but if I had to guess Ragone would have less to do with play design and more to do with coaching up Mitch than the other way around.

Lazor was brought in because he is well versed in the RPO scheme Nagy wants to run and as mentioned, has had success with the run throughout his coaching career.  I imagine he will work closely with OL coach Castillo to improve that area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Great. They are really going to keep forcing them?

Mitch can't read complex offenses - this is "easy" for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Apparently Lazor had lots of involvement with the run games in all of his previous stops, along with coaching up the QB's.

I don't know this for sure, but if I had to guess Ragone would have less to do with play design and more to do with coaching up Mitch than the other way around.

Lazor was brought in because he is well versed in the RPO scheme Nagy wants to run and as mentioned, has had success with the run throughout his coaching career.  I imagine he will work closely with OL coach Castillo to improve that area.

Lazor is also known for getting guys to play fast and simplify the scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, topwop1 said:

If they suck again next year then there's no point in continuing with these guys. I mean how many chances are you willing to give them all?

If they are actually dead-set on having Trubisky be the starter, then this is their final year in Chicago.

It doesn't upset to think about having a wasted season, followed by team upheaval? Yeesh...

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Can he coordinate the run game? That was Helfrich’s job and it was crap. If so then it’s a good hire. If not then it’s not. Nagy was always gonna be the play caller though and because of that I don’t have any strong feelings either way. Time will tell I guess. 

Think he'll do better at the run game part. Can't do much worse. 

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Trubisky is awful at them. That is what I meant by forcing them.

Yeah, for whatever reason Mitch can't execute them with consistency. If the plan is really to do more with stuff like that, it's most likely a horrible mistake.

8 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Can't say I've been impressed with Nagy's playcalling this year but let's see if two failed playcallers equate to success...

The only one impressed by Nagy's playcalling last season was Nagy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Apparently Lazor had lots of involvement with the run games in all of his previous stops, along with coaching up the QB's.

I don't know this for sure, but if I had to guess Ragone would have less to do with play design and more to do with coaching up Mitch than the other way around.

Lazor was brought in because he is well versed in the RPO scheme Nagy wants to run and as mentioned, has had success with the run throughout his coaching career.  I imagine he will work closely with OL coach Castillo to improve that area.

I red that no offence under Lazor was ever in the top 20 for rushing attempts or average per attempt so I hope he isn't overly involved in the rushing attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

They're not forcing them at all. They barely ran any RPO's this year which is part of the problem.

Nagy was supposed to be using the RPO in the same way the Reid and Pederson use them but he didn't. Hell, Pace and he built the entire offense around it.

Mitch, 40 RPO's in of 15 games (3.6/G)
Mahomes, 71 RPO's in 14 games (5.5/G)
Wentz, 80 RPO's in 16 games (5.4?g)

Team totals (inc backup QBs)
CHI, 175 drives, 44 RPO's
PHI, 187 drives, 81 RPO's
KC , 164 drives, 85 RPO's

An undoubtedly (IMO) huge part of that lies in our TE personnel problem. Often the quick hit pass on a RPO is to the slanting TE. They weren’t doing that with Braunecker or Horsted. The trust just wasn’t there. We didn’t see the TE shovel pass this year either. Not once that I can recall. Really, a lot of the creative stuff we did in 2018 was just completely missing in 2019. We can’t know for sure but I’d wager a lot of it was due to the dearth of NFL talent available at that position. All the more reason I think a top FA TE is going to be our priority. A rookie would be great too, especially with Burton again to be a question mark going toward TC, but we NEED a known commodity there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

An undoubtedly (IMO) huge part of that lies in our TE personnel problem. Often the quick hit pass on a RPO is to the slanting TE. They weren’t doing that with Braunecker or Horsted. The trust just wasn’t there. We didn’t see the TE shovel pass this year either. Not once that I can recall. Really, a lot of the creative stuff we did in 2018 was just completely missing in 2019. We can’t know for sure but I’d wager a lot of it was due to the dearth of NFL talent available at that position. All the more reason I think a top FA TE is going to be our priority. A rookie would be great too, especially with Burton again to be a question mark going toward TC, but we NEED a known commodity there. 

I wouldn't mind Hunter Henry but man that's a big risk for the team to take considering his injury history and that they already have a high paid injury prone guy in Burton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I wouldn't mind Hunter Henry but man that's a big risk for the team to take considering his injury history and that they already have a high paid injury prone guy in Burton.

He is a risk. BUT, Nagy and probably even more so Pace NEED to win in 2020 IMO. Pace has 1 postseason appearance and 0 wins in 6 years and botched the QB pick (even though Mitch isn’t as dead to me as he is many of you). Most other franchises would have fired him already. A secure GM would be looking to add draft capital with an eye toward potentially needing to move up to get a QB of choice in the 2021 draft. I can’t imagine that Pace has that luxury right now. He certainly shouldn’t. 

Also, if Hunter Henry is my guy I’m also drafting a TE, both because of the injury risk and because Burton would almost certainly be gone after 2020 in that scenario anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He is a risk. BUT, Nagy and probably even more so Pace NEED to win in 2020 IMO. Pace has 1 postseason appearance and 0 wins in 6 years and botched the QB pick (even though Mitch isn’t as dead to me as he is many of you). Most other franchises would have fired him already. A secure GM would be looking to add draft capital with an eye toward potentially needing to move up to get a QB of choice in the 2021 draft. I can’t imagine that Pace has that luxury right now. He certainly shouldn’t. 

Also, if Hunter Henry is my guy I’m also drafting a TE, both because of the injury risk and because Burton would almost certainly be gone after 2020 in that scenario anyway. 

Oh I've missed you, agree with everything you said including the double dip at TE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×