It's crazy how much better college football is

viper952

The NFL is much easier for me to watch now than it was 10-15 years ago when it seemed like teams were picking QBs in the top 10 just because they were tall and had a big arm and fit the "type". They've adapted to the college game so much better now and offenses like the Chiefs, Ravens and Bears are a lot more innovative than the NFL used to be. They still regurgitate mediocre coaches too much and obviously I'm biased because there are no pro teams here but I do prefer college. Sure the parity is great and makes for more consistently competitive games but it also means that a team who finished 9-7 could still win the Super Bowl because they got hot at the right time when they clearly aren't the best team. There is no doubt LSU was the best team all year.

Plus I think there is something to be said for cheering for a University that you spent 4 years devoting your life to with the majority of the players on the team that are from your home state. In the NFL you could cheer for a player one year and then he's playing for your rival the next (though this is happening with the transfer portal in college now too).

Edited by gohogs14

12 hours ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, college football does a better job at marketing their product from a ratings standpoint (I'm not talking about outlier teams like Dallas/Green Bay that always draw ratings), based upon things like:

*Network variation and timeframes: I can turn on CBS, ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, and Fox on a Saturday from 12:00 noon EST to 1:00 AM the next day and view a plethora of games, conferences, and matchups. In the NFL, you get a 1:00 or 4:00 kickoff for 85%-90% of games, and if you don't have the NFL Sunday Ticket (total garbage monopoly by AT&T/DirecTV), you get stuck with geographical matchups, not to mention having to have NFL Network for several Thursday night/Saturday afternoon games (late in the season, ala Week 16 of the NFL this year). For most of us (myself included), I'm not paying for $150 a month for DirecTV AND a several hundred dollar Sunday Ticket ala carte on top of this, locked into a 2 year contract. That's egregious.

Hopefully it won't be long until the NFL's tight control over its TV rights is struck down in court

• Like 1

College football used to be a lot harder for me to watch until my cousins started to play in the mid 2000's.  I followed them at that point, and afterwards, I lost interest until the playoffs were implemented.  And at this point, I'm more invested in college football than the pros.  Part of that is that the Redskins are terrible, while UGA and Navy have done much better in comparison over that time.  The other part is that the NFL is just too oversaturated right now.  I used to spend all day Sunday watching NFL games, and Monday night was can't miss TV, and then Thursday's as well.  Then it got oversaturating to me, and I spent more time watching college games than I did watching NFL games.   I can easily clear my Saturday schedule for most weeks, but I've got other things going on in life that I'd rather do than clear my schedule to watch NFL games.  

• Like 1

It's funny to me sometimes. I absolutely think the NFL is a superior product. But, more and more I have struggled to watch games (especially Redskins games :P). I have the need to watch it all on redzone, especially due to fantasy purposes. Playoffs are a different story, but I don't always find myself trying to watch the 4 pm Dallas Giants game as an example.

That said, I can watch a random college football game with mostly no problem. Give me the 12 pm Louisville Florida State game. I'll watch it. There's just something more endearing and ... "honest"? ... about it. 

The exact same goes for basketball. Don't care for the NBA regular season anymore - I'll wait till playoffs. Definitely watched VCU Dayton last night though. 

• Like 2

On 14.1.2020 at 10:53 PM, Tetsujin said:

I think CFB is more exciting, as long as it's not a lopsided game. And you just can't beat the atmosphere of a bigtime matchup, the amount of games, plus the variety of offenses, and the fact you have full player turnover every 4 years.

that's the issue. CFB is not a competitive sport. You have 4-6 realistic title candidates each year.

• Like 2