Make Another Movie - Draft Thread

Dome

5 hours ago, rackcs said:

By the way, I am desperately trying to finish this book so I can come up with my plot synopsis, I didn't expect this thing to end so soon lol

I'm actually planning on attempting (starting) to write a book. More pumped about that then doing this....so I havent really started this lol

On 1/14/2020 at 5:26 PM, The Orca said:

So I'd like some input as well on my next one. The options so far are

1. The Final Reich: Journey into the Universe

2. A time travel horror mystery 

3. War movie 

4. The real story of Robert Falcon Scott and his ill fated expedition to the South Pole

5. The Peak (or something similar)- a scifi/adventure/thriller 

It's actually this idea. Cant get it out of my head and it's all I've been thinking about and processing in my head. Think it would be great as a book. Who knows if I ca pull it off

3 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5447754

2 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Just don't spend a 2 months plus editing, re-editing, scrapping, rewriting, editing the first chapter and then abandoning it like I did @The Orca

Lol...probably what's gonna happen lmao

6 minutes ago, The Orca said:

It's actually this idea. Cant get it out of my head and it's all I've been thinking about and processing in my head. Think it would be great as a book. Who knows if I ca pull it off

Lol...probably what's gonna happen lmao

No joke.  I started it last Christmas and by the end of February I had read it more than 1000 times and edited the **** out of it.  I probably should get back to it lol. 

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

I've been also contemplating writing a book lately too lol but I'm someone who likes to have a firm plan and outline before I start but I never can finish the outlines because I never think the ideas are good enough 

Maybe things I do would go more smooth with an outline.  

I just write (whether it's a mafia game or these movies, etc) and see where things go.  No predetermined plot structure or path, just whatever pops into my head.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rackcs said:

I've been also contemplating writing a book lately too lol but I'm someone who likes to have a firm plan and outline before I start but I never can finish the outlines because I never think the ideas are good enough 

Start by writing short stories you can finish in one sitting.

You’ll have better ideas develop when you’re constantly turning over your thoughts and words. It’ll get you in the habit of writing without needing a completed outline and show you that it doesn’t have to be perfect (or really even good) the first time you write it. 

Writing small stories for practice really does help 

15 hours ago, rackcs said:

14 minutes ago, Dome said:

Start by writing short stories you can finish in one sitting.

You’ll have better ideas develop when you’re constantly turning over your thoughts and words. It’ll get you in the habit of writing without needing a completed outline and show you that it doesn’t have to be perfect (or really even good) the first time you write it. 

Writing small stories for practice really does help 

Eh, I don't know that I'd agree with that advice.  Write short stories if you want to write short stories, but just dive in and write a long form narrative if that's what you want to do.  They're very, very different beasts, and I would argue you won't learn much that's useful for long form narration in a short story.

Plus, your first book is going to suck.  Full stop.  Sorry.  Just accept it, write something, and be more experienced.

Now if you're looking to improve very specific things, like your ability to write dialogue, or narrate setting, or something like that, then short stories are good if you make them heavy in what you're wanting to work on.  But writing with an outline is fine.  Some people like it that way, some people don't.  Experiment both ways since your first book's gonna suck anyway.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Eh, I don't know that I'd agree with that advice.  Write short stories if you want to write short stories, but just dive in and write a long form narrative if that's what you want to do.  They're very, very different beasts, and I would argue you won't learn much that's useful for long form narration in a short story.

Plus, your first book is going to suck.  Full stop.  Sorry.  Just accept it, write something, and be more experienced.

Now if you're looking to improve very specific things, like your ability to write dialogue, or narrate setting, or something like that, then short stories are good if you make them heavy in what you're wanting to work on.  But writing with an outline is fine.  Some people like it that way, some people don't.  Experiment both ways since your first book's gonna suck anyway.

The practice in writing a short story isn't because I think it's the same as writing a long form narrative, but because rackcs issues seemed to be linked to not being able to complete a big project because he's in a constant state of tweaking and making things perfect.

There's definitely value in learning to live with imperfections and experience in completing a whole story, even if it's just a short one. Especially since, as you said, your first book is going to suck anyways. This cycle is easier to complete for gratification and self-review and can get you going down the right path faster than writing a full novel.

Stephen King isn't the end-all-be-all by any means, but he's got some experience. You don't have to just take my word for it. :) 

Some of his short stories ended up becoming full novels, because he liked them, so there's value there as well. There's no reason a short story, or a series of short stores, can't develop into a novel. You're writing the outline without even realizing it.

“I think the novel is a quagmire that a lot of younger writers stumble into before they’re ready to go there.”

https://www.mhpbooks.com/stephen-king-on-why-writing-short-stories-is-important/

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dome said:

The practice in writing a short story isn't because I think it's the same as writing a long form narrative, but because rackcs issues seemed to be linked to not being able to complete a big project because he's in a constant state of tweaking and making things perfect.

There's definitely value in learning to live with imperfections and experience in completing a whole story, even if it's just a short one. Especially since, as you said, your first book is going to suck anyways. This cycle is easier to complete for gratification and self-review and can get you going down the right path faster than writing a full novel.

Stephen King isn't the end-all-be-all by any means, but he's got some experience. You don't have to just take my word for it. :) 

Some of his short stories ended up becoming full novels, because he liked them, so there's value there as well. There's no reason a short story, or a series of short stores, can't develop into a novel. You're writing the outline without even realizing it.

“I think the novel is a quagmire that a lot of younger writers stumble into before they’re ready to go there.”

https://www.mhpbooks.com/stephen-king-on-why-writing-short-stories-is-important/

Reasonable minds may differ.

• Like 1

Malf has finished casting his movie.

None of these actors/actresses have been used by anyone

Alia Shawkat (Green Room, Arrested Development)

alia_shawkat.jpg

Crispin Glover (Rivers Edge, Back to the Future)

crispin_glover.jpg

Natasha Lyonne (Russian Doll)

1461496-15619-zoomedR-e1549079138706.jpg

Michael J Rodgers (Beyond the Black Rainbow)

beyond_the_black_rainbow.jpg

Jessie Williams (Cabin in the Woods)

Jesse+Williams+Film+Independent+2012+Los

Elijah Wood (producer of Mandy)

jpeg

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 1