On TV

Shady Slim

so here in australia we have nfl telecasts on channel 7mate in which we get one game in every sunday time slot plus playoffs

but i don't understand how the telecasting works over there, so i've got a few questions:

-which channels are your free to air channels, and following on from that, how many do you get live per week without cable?

-how is it decided which game is telecasted?

-are you more or less happy with the way the television deal is structured?

-what improvements would you suggest/what is there to change?

-how is it decided how many games each channel gets?

and any other stuff you'd like to say regarding the tv rights deals and telecasting 

On sunday, 2 local channels  play the day games. One channel will get one game, the other channel gets 2 games.

I don't know the legality or reasoning behind it. It also depends on if you are near a team as to which games you get on tv. I live in Oregon..so I get stuck with a Seahawks or Raiders  or Niners game  often...but will still get match ups they know the entire nation is interested  

47 minutes ago, Shady Slim said:

which channels are your free to air channels, and following on from that, how many do you get live per week without cable?

Fox and CBS get the early games, which are free channels. They get one or two depending on the week. So you always get at least three different games for free (in two different time slots) from those two channels. Then NBC (also free) gets the Sunday Night game. Monday night games are on ESPN but you need cable for that. Sometimes (or always not sure) the Thursday game is on CBS. So we get at least 3 different timeslots that are free (some with multiple options of games to choose from) and 4 if the Thursday game is on CBS. 

looking at the nfl schedule (they have the channels next to the game info on nfl.com)

i assumed that fox was pay tv given the pay tv service here is called FoxTel and comes with the channels such as FoxSports - the bit about the location-based games makes a lot of sense - the nrl only ever has one game on at a time so we don't have that issue here with rugby league 

I hate regional coverage. Wish they'd take all 4 channels and have 3 nationally televised games on each one every Sunday. Like college in which every game that's even remotely noteworthy can be seen by anyone with basic cable. 

Cant blame them because they're making a fortune. They get me to buy Sunday Ticket every year. But it seems like they could get even more people to stay home and watch football if they could watch any game they want

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I hate regional coverage. Wish they'd take all 4 channels and have 3 nationally televised games on each one every Sunday. Like college in which every game that's even remotely noteworthy can be seen by anyone with basic cable. 

Cant blame them because they're making a fortune. They get me to buy Sunday Ticket every year. But it seems like they could get even more people to stay home and watch football if they could watch any game they want

I agree with your point here that all regional televised games should be national, regardless of location, but you can't blame the NFL for this. It's actually the local networks that have a problem with this. Remember, they're trying to gain viewership too for revenue, not just the NFL. For example, nobody in New York is going to tune into their channel for 3 hours to watch the Chargers vs Texans or the 49ers vs Cowboys when they have 4 different NFL teams within their vincity. The local channels would suffer big-time because viewership and ad rev for 3 and 1/2 hours is alot of money.

To keep it short, the reason that each channel shows games by region is because small market local stations actually agree to merge contracts with each other so that if bigger markets try to get their business then they have to take all of them. 

Sunday ticket is no longer available where I live I do have a paid streaming service which has gamepass and I'll likely be watching redzone but I would get 3 or 4 early games and 2 or 3 afternoon games free regardless. 

Local CBS: Bills vs Panthers 

Local FOX: Eagles vs Chiefs 

also get NE vs NO and Minny vs Pitt

then later:

Dallas vs Denver, Jets vs Raiders and 49ers vs Seattle

I should add that I live in Canada and that the extra games I have for free are FOX and CBS feeds broadcast on local channels that will show football on Sundays. And by Local CBS is Buffalo and Local FOX is Detroit. 

10 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

well by the looks of it NYJ@OAK isn't on at the same time as NE@NO so you would get both, no?

Not always how it works, no.  CBS and FOX take turns have 2 games.  So it just depends on which station gets the 2nd game.  It wont help you out of country, but you can look at this site if you want to see which games are playing where.

http://506sports.com/

Archived