Wade is supposedly in Cleveland, how does our roster look for a 3-4

hornbybrown

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think Wade is famous for wanting his NTs to be smaller and more of a pass rusher

Lol so we still won’t be able to stop the run? But after reading the comments in here I’m feeling heaps better about it.

Good thing about Wade is he won’t be getting another HC gig so he will be able to hang round 

39 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

people say its a 4-3 with a standing de 

It is, at least thats what it was in DEN. Von Miller was the '4th' or stand up DE. Which is why he is now considered a DE and not a OLB.

He likes to play man coverage a lot so his defenses largely depend on having good man coverage CBs and rushers who can get to the QB. Lots of man press coverage + stunts from the DL.

On top of that is that every player that plays for him loves him and he operates off of a 'I will not ask players to do something they are not good at' mantra. He likes to adjust his defense to what the individual strength is of each player which is why you will see some sub packages depending on down/distance.

I cannot speak more highly of a coordinator that I have seen. He also brings a personality to a defense that mimics his which is a plus.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I think Wade is famous for wanting his NTs to be smaller and more of a pass rusher

Correct. Lockdown man coverage + athletic versatile DL who can rush/move. He got Malik Jackson paid a 85m contract because of it in JAX. You know who has Malik Jackson traits? Larry Ogunjobi!

Edited by AkronsWitness

in 17 the defense ranked 12th

in 18 it was 20th, but he put on a masterclass vs the Pats in the SB

in 19 it was 17th, with a loss of a their starting ILB and DT.

Pretty freaking hot. 

bll B's piss take of him, was that he has done the same thing for years, since he 80s.

Ou big concern should be they lost to the Ravens 45-6. Can Ol Wade lean a new trick is the question to ask. 

21 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

He’s 72

He'll be 73 in June and doesn't appear to be in optimal health. I wouldn't not hire him because of age but at this point I don't think he is a long term option, he will want to spend time with his great grandchildren eventually.

• Like 1

Why the Hire Makes Sense for Stefanksi:

Hiring Phillips is about bringing in a wise, effective, and trusted entity that will help calm the waters while Stefanski gets his program off the ground.

Because of Phillps advanced age, we'll need to plan accordingly by hiring redundancies along the staff from the outset in order to maintain some sort of defensive continuity after Phillips hangs it up for good.

Phillips' Unique 34-Defense:

I'm glad someone mentioned how Wade's 34 is not the 34 front that we've become accustomed to seeing.

Instead it varies the wideness of D-LIne splits, D-Line and LB alignments, as well as OLB/DE stands versus is down in a 3-point stance all based on situational game-planning and in-game keys.

On run downs it often presents more so like an exotic 46 defense based on forcing and funneling the leverage of the OLine to a choke point in order to prevent reach blocks or cut-offs or scoop blocks from being effective. That means the defense uses an angled, horizontal D-Line attack to control the running game by first having the the ends with two-gap responsiblity read a cue and then based on that cue together force the leverage of the OLine towards a particular direction. Based on where the OLine's leverage is being redirected the LBs and box safety support attack with a numbers advantage. The defense is amazing against the run because OLineman have a hard time walling off or getting to the second level against angling Dlineman with help behind them. Then comes the pass rush element of his defense which is a masterpiece of varying tactics and stunts.

The only issue with Phillips' defense is that it forces the players to have a lot on their plate in terms of decision-making and key-reading in order to decide how things should be aligned pre-snap and they have to make decisive correct post-snap decisions regarding how to attack the Offensive lines leverage.

Ultimately, you have to have really smart D-Lineman that can read and process the game, a Defensive end that is willing to sacrifice stats in order to force the leverage to a particular direction based on the key-reads and run fits, a Free Safety that can take-away half of the field, CBs that can tackle, as well as a impact LB that can stick their nose in there and clean things up.

Wade's able to manufacture pass rush and adapt things to personnel strengths, but it does in my mind mean we need more length and power on the interior Defensive Line and we need a real force at LB.

Sione Takitaki is the perfect clean-up berserker LB for a Phillips defense, but we need another big-time playmaker LB that even is an upgrade on Joe Schobert.

Jimmy Ward would also be the perfect box support player for Phillips.

I don't know where we'd find a Free Safety for his system. It may be worthwhile to bring Randall back until we can find a better sustainable solution.

• Like 2