Wade is supposedly in Cleveland, how does our roster look for a 3-4

hornbybrown

Just now, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I remember people freaking out about Vonn transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and how he projected. That was hilarious at the time and even moreso now. 3 point stance vs athletic standup, not asked to do much more than he used to be. Hilarious.

It’s only an issue if you start having Myles running downfield chasing RB’s.

He belongs at the LoS.  Everything else is minutia.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I remember people freaking out about Vonn transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and how he projected. That was hilarious at the time and even moreso now. 3 point stance vs athletic standup, not asked to do much more than he used to be. Hilarious.

I just think we have been burned by the 3/4 so much because it has never worked here. So everyone has been gunshy with that schemes. We truly never had a great DC at the level of Wade to run it. So bring him in and let him install it and run it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

True but I would like to see him moved around more and stunted more. Wilks was pretty vanilla with him last year. 

He had like 10 sacks in 10 weeks.   Hard to argue with how he was used when he got that kind of production.

Also, you’re misremember a bit.  He definitely moved about and typically got the favorable matchup on passing downs.  It was one reason Vernon’s numbers were so pedestrian.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s only an issue if you start having Myles running downfield chasing RB’s.

He belongs at the LoS.  Everything else is minutia.

I'd assume that they'll keep him in a Wide 9 and MAYBE have him situationally as a 5-Tech if they want an interior rush situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He had like 10 sacks in 10 weeks.   Hard to argue with how he was used when he got that kind of production.

Also, you’re misremember a bit.  He definitely moved about and typically got the favorable matchup on passing downs.  It was one reason Vernon’s numbers were so pedestrian.

Def agree

I just think if you use Myles in a create way he could put up some disgusting numbers. I think with the DL we Had they didn’t want to do anything fancy but I will always favor to do whatever you can to confuse and make an OL uneasy. You will make a center guard very uneasy putting a pass rusher on them like that for a play or two. Not saying we have to do it a lot but do it enough that offense has to think about where Garrett could line up or possibly stunt too

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I just think we have been burned by the 3/4 so much because it has never worked here. So everyone has been gunshy with that schemes. We truly never had a great DC at the level of Wade to run it. So bring him in and let him install it and run it

Yeah, to your point:

1. Wade is a 3-4 Guru

2. We've never made a legitimate attempt to have a true 0-1 Tech Nose

3. We've never had the ILB that fit

Here are concerns I'd have immediately:

*Do we have the down DL to do it?

*The Safety situation is a major issue

*We need another ILB beside Schobert to implement this.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, to your point:

1. Wade is a 3-4 Guru

Other than LeBeau, nobody else is even in his league.

Yep.

3. We've never had an ILB

Fify.

I think the DL is fine tbh, the linebackers and OLB opposite Myles are questionable, but that’s not really scheme related either.

In any scheme....

Maybe Takitakitakitaki?

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Other than LeBeau, nobody else is even in his league.

Absolutely agree.

Yep.

I'm getting Jason Fisk flashbacks just thinking about it

Fify.

How dare you say anything negative about Andra Davis. He was my DUDE.

I think the DL is fine tbh, the linebackers and OLB opposite Myles are questionable, but that’s not really scheme related either.

Yes/No. Depth is something that's an absolute MUST in the 3-4, while you can say the same about a 4-3, most 3-4 teams carry an extra LB (sometimes 2) and an extra interior DL (sometimes 2) on their roster. From a starting standpoint, that's not really a bad things, but from a depth standpoint, this is a disaster waiting to happen. That said, if we have 2+ years to do it, I like our odds just as much as a 4-3 as the skeletal structure shouldn't change.

In any scheme....

Oh absolutely. 4-3/3-4 doesn't matter because we don't have the guys. Imagine having a DC who wanted to play with 3 safeties on the field with our current roster...just imagine it.

Maybe Takitakitakitaki?

Eh...maybe. It's always hard to gauge rookies, although it doesn't seem to stop our fanbase from ripping them to pieces. TBH, I think that putting Mack as a hybrid guy would be a fine idea. Pass coverage, using his instincts along the edge, sliding inside on passing situations...and maybe Takitaki ends up being a guy that sticks too. I still think we need an FA SLB regardless of scheme.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Eh...maybe. It's always hard to gauge rookies, although it doesn't seem to stop our fanbase from ripping them to pieces. TBH, I think that putting Mack as a hybrid guy would be a fine idea. Pass coverage, using his instincts along the edge, sliding inside on passing situations...and maybe Takitaki ends up being a guy that sticks too. I still think we need an FA SLB regardless of scheme.

I think Takitaki fits the 3-4 very well. He's aggressive, can take on blockers with violence, and is a great blitzing piece. He's a better fit in a 3-4 than he is in a 4-3 IMO.

I agree that we need to be thinking about getting a SAM via the draft or FA. I'd try to work with Kirksey and see if we can restructure his deal to keep him here. If not, yeah we've got a big hole to patch up.

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, to your point:

1. Wade is a 3-4 Guru

3. We've never had the ILB that fit

We would need to:

1. Sign Danny Shelton or A'Shawn Robinson
2. Draft a pass rusher

LE: Sheldon Richardson/FA
NT: Danny Shelton/A'Shawn Robinson
RE: Larry Ogunjobi/Chad Thomas
LOLB: Kenny Willekes/FA
MLB: Joe Schobert/FA
MLB: Sione Takitaki/Mack Wilson
ROLB: Myles Garrett/Porter Gustin

We would have a lot of work to do in order to get to a true 3-4.

7 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

We would need to:

1. Sign Danny Shelton or A'Shawn Robinson
2. Draft a pass rusher

LE: Sheldon Richardson/FA
NT: Danny Shelton/A'Shawn Robinson
RE: Larry Ogunjobi/Chad Thomas
LOLB: Kenny Willekes/FA
MLB: Joe Schobert/FA
MLB: Sione Takitaki/Mack Wilson
ROLB: Myles Garrett/Porter Gustin

We would have a lot of work to do in order to get to a true 3-4.

He doesn’t run a 2 gap 3-4 though.

Larry at NT would be doable imo.  Could be fun watching him shoot a gaps.

Richardson and Chad Thomas as ends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Larry at NT would be doable imo.  Could be fun watching him shoot a gaps.

Larry O played NT at Charlotte and was phenomenal. He showed legit 2-gap strength. I think he could easily play there in a 1-gap capacity. Larry O at NT would be nasty.

I'm not sold on Chad Thomas as a 5-tech starter yet. He fits the mold though...

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Larry O played NT at Charlotte and was phenomenal. He showed legit 2-gap strength. I think he could easily play there in a 1-gap capacity. Larry O at NT would be nasty.

I'm not sold on Chad Thomas as a 5-tech starter yet. He fits the mold though...

He needs to eat well this offseason, but I think he’s a viable option.

• Like 1