Championship Week 1 Round with trades

BowserBroncos

I'm taking the contrarian point of view, the secondary was by far the Falcons worst unit. They're very close to being a bottom 5 secondary in the NFL. The pass rush actually showed up in some games, but anytime the pass rush wasn't there, the secondary was getting obliterated. Remember the first Bucs game where they dropped 35 on us pretty easily? To me, that was a systemic issue that showed how anemic the secondary was, because that was one of the games in the 6-2 run that the pass rush didn't do much. The most impressive games on defense where the ones where Grady Jarrett just straight up went to town on opposing offensive lines, and wrecked their gameplans.

Their secondary is young, but I'm not convinced that they're going to take the next great step forward. Isiah Oliver was straight up atrocious - the fact that he regressed so much from 2018 is a big gigantic red flag to me. And so far, no one has been able to teach Kazee how to tackle. Sheffield showed a little bit of promise, but is it going to be another Oliver situation where he looks good in some limited spots and then regresses horribly the next year? I'm inclined to think that yes, that's how that would go.

That being said, I'd still like to address the defensive line because Quinn's defense historically over-performs relative to how the pass rush is playing more than any other unit. Quinn hides the deficiencies of his secondary by just throwing a lot of 7 and 8 man coverages out there (to the chagrin of every single Falcons fan that wants to blitz), and if his pass rush holds up, then it works out as planned. I also think it's much easier to get an elite pass rush than it is an elite secondary, even if we know from current data that elite secondaries get more performance than elite pass rushes do.

Edited by Hukos

On 14.1.2020 at 1:19 PM, BowserBroncos said:

The Indianapolis Colts trades #34 and 2020 4th round pick to the San Francisco 49ers for #32

I like the trade for 49ers, and they would still be in a strong position for a guy like Xavier McKinney, a CB or OL.

I do believe the price would be higher - but we'll see...

33 minutes ago, Danish49ers said:

I like the trade for 49ers, and they would still be in a strong position for a guy like Xavier McKinney, a CB or OL.

I do believe the price would be higher - but we'll see...

Would be a just two positions drop. I don't think it would be enough to get more than a 4th round pick.

Also don't think it would be the last trade down Lynch would do. Niners really need some picks back.

Edited by BowserBroncos

On 1/14/2020 at 7:19 AM, BowserBroncos said:

The Chicago Bears trades 2020 2nd round pick (from Raiders #43) and a 2021 day 2 conditional pick to the Carolina Panthers for QB Cam Newton

Cam Newton is not going to demand that much in return.  He has a huge salary, he's hurt and his stats have been going downhill for the last few years.  (1) third round rookie pick will get him.

Outstanding for the Lions, not only in the quality of the scenario but also because its still in the realm of possibility.

The trade down in something I think most Lions fans believe will happen come draft day.

Going down to #7 and still getting one of Okudah, Simmons or Brown is best case scenario for us.