2020 Packer coaching changes, should there be any ?

OneTwoSixFive

When a team gets a new head coach, inevitably there is a big churn of all the coaches below him. Some may survive, but usually, the majority go, and are replaced by others.

This creates a problem. The coaching pool available to a new head coach is limited to those coaches available in the same-year window. In reality, among all the new hires you will probably get a mix of good, indifferent and bad. If you keep looking to improve the coaching talent beyond that first year, you can increase your chances of having a better overall staff. While this is obvious, it happens less often than it should, whether through loyalty, a lack of emphasis on this, or whatever.

Although a good season (and this was a very good season) masks coaching deficiencies, there is always room for improvement. I would like to see at least one coaching change in 2020, because that will assure me there is no complacency in this often disregarded area. Which coach should MLF change ? I am not close enough to the organisation to have an opinion on that, but it would be strange indeed if there wasn't a single coach that could be improved on.

What do others think, do you have a particular coach/coordinator you would like to see the Packers try to upgrade ?

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Pettine should not have allowed 20 second half points.  It's a serious concern.  He's been a serious concern of mine for a long time.  If our defense doesn't show up significantly next week, LaFleur should pick his own guy. 

It wouldn't have if Russell Wilson wasn't QB. We stuffed the run, got consistent pressure and the QBs first read was consistently covered, our defense to me was no different than the Vikings game. It was dominant. Russell Wilson is currently the best player in the NFL and what he did was Rodgers "run the table" season esque, he almost single handedly brought that team to a win. 25 QB pressures on 31 attempts. He's like a punt returner with an elite arm. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It wouldn't have if Russell Wilson wasn't QB. We stuffed the run, got consistent pressure and the QBs first read was consistently covered, our defense to me was no different than the Vikings game. It was dominant. Russell Wilson is currently the best player in the NFL and what he did was Rodgers "run the table" season esque, he almost single handedly brought that team to a win. 25 QB pressures on 31 attempts. He's like a punt returner with an elite arm

No, "he's a chicken in a field with no fence."

• Like 4

Pettine went soft in the Sea game.  He's been doing it most of the season.  Personally I'd like to see more aggression on D.  He finally dialed up a blitz on the 2 pt conversion but he should have been mixing it in all game.  Kept screaming blitz damn it.  You can't let a team dink and dunk you all the way down the field.  They eat clock and gas your D.  Exactly what we saw on Sunday.  Without Rodgers heroics we would have lost that game.  Get back to the exotic blitz packages can't lay back especially against SF.  Get some pressure on Jimmy G and he'll fold.  Allow him to stand tall and pick apart our D it is going to be a long game.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It wouldn't have if Russell Wilson wasn't QB. We stuffed the run, got consistent pressure and the QBs first read was consistently covered, our defense to me was no different than the Vikings game. It was dominant. Russell Wilson is currently the best player in the NFL and what he did was Rodgers "run the table" season esque, he almost single handedly brought that team to a win. 25 QB pressures on 31 attempts. He's like a punt returner with an elite arm. 

I miss his Blitzes. Martinez anyway is deer in headlights in coverage. He needs to Blitz more with Martinez. Not on every play, but more occasionally than he did in Hawks game. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Pettine should not have allowed 20 second half points.  It's a serious concern.  He's been a serious concern of mine for a long time.  If our defense doesn't show up significantly next week, LaFleur should pick his own guy. 

George Edwards.  If Pettine goes I want Edwards.

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

25 pressures on 31 attempts. Why are we needing to blitz again?

pressures are usually a qb stat more than a DL stat. Symptom of the QB holding the ball - much like Rodgers does at times to our chagrin.

STILL, I think the defense really passed the eye test.  Tackling was very very good.  Forced a sack on the biggest play of the game, lived in the offensive backfield.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Pettine isn't going anywhere. And he shouldn't either.