Free Agent QB Discussion

WindyCity

Eli Manning - pass - he has nothing left.

Bridgewater - pass - weak armed game manager.  Slight upgrade at best.  

Winston - pass - INT machine that won't improve in Windy City and cold weather.  

Mariota - apparently not an option.  Though that seems silly.  If I was Mariota and I thought Bears were best chance to revive my career, and I haven't studied market for him - but that well may be the case, I would fire my agent if that is the problem.  Who would throw away their best potential career move for an agent?  

Foles - I did want him, but he seems wildly inconsistent and mostly bad these days.  So pass.

Chase Daniel - What is point of him really?

Case Keenum - Pass - do I really have to explain?

Geriatric studs:

Brady, Rivers, Brees - Could you really see any one of them coming to Chicago?   I think Brady and Brees would be cool, but are pipe dreams.   Rivers maybe.  He would be interesting.  

I think MT is the guy in 2020 by default.  It kind of worries me that they may announce oh by the way he needs shoulder surgery and will be back for camp.  

I would bring in a young guy with potential like Kyle Lauletta.  He was last on Eagles practice squad so I don't know what rules are to get him.  I guess if you can't get him, you could bring in one of Eagles other cast offs like McCown or Sudfield, but they aren't the answer.

A young cheap guy like Lauletta that emerges unexpectedly would be ideal scenario outside of a light bulb going off for MT.

I am not hyping Lauletta like he is next big thing, he is likely nothing.  But he is only young QB I have seen available with any potential to surprise outside of signed guys that aren't going anywhere at moment.

If the Bears trade for Nick Foles they would be saving the Jaguars 16 million in guaranteed salaries and bonuses.

The price for the Browns to absorb Osweilers 18 million was a 2nd. I would be willing to take Foles off their books for a 3rd because we actually need the QB.

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am not hyping Lauletta like he is next big thing, he is likely nothing.  But he is only young QB I have seen available with any potential to surprise outside of signed guys that aren't going anywhere at moment.

I like Rosen here, both because a) he had potential enough to get drafted high and landed in not one but two garbage situations so there is a chance b) he sets people off like no one besides Kaepernick c) he would likely trade cheap 

If it's a 5th round pick, do you feel better about Kellen Montez or Josh Rosen?

4 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

I like Rosen here, both because a) he had potential enough to get drafted high and landed in not one but two garbage situations so there is a chance b) he sets people off like no one besides Kaepernick c) he would likely trade cheap 

If it's a 5th round pick, do you feel better about Kellen Montez or Josh Rosen?

I never liked Rosen.

I don't know who Kellen Montez is to be honest.  

After watching Joe Burrow one time I might trade any 3 Bears for him.   

Edited by dll2000

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

If the Bears trade for Nick Foles they would be saving the Jaguars 16 million in guaranteed salaries and bonuses.

The price for the Browns to absorb Osweilers 18 million was a 2nd. I would be willing to take Foles off their books for a 3rd because we actually need the QB.

If they trade for Foles (unlikely) then Mitch better be going back to the Jags in return because I don;t see how Pace will justify sticking to the development plan with Mitch, as he said, while having a $22M (cap hit) backup QB.

That just doesn't add up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, G08 said:

I like Andy Dalton as QB2.... *ducks*

Dalton actually makes a lot of sense if he doesn't get any better offers and is willing to come in here on a 1-year deal to serve primarily as the backup, with the notion that Mitch will be on a short leash and Andy has a realistic shot to play in 2020 under his former OC.

Right now I don't see any teams out there spending big money on Dalton to come in and be their starter.

Edited by topwop1

Team is going nowhere with Dalton or Foles.   QB2 if cheap, whatever.  Does a veteran QB2 really matter if he is only marginally better than a really bad QB1?

Best hope is Mitch surprises everyone and takes a big jump this year.  A white knight veteran that failed at most recent other spot and is thus available seems a lottery long shot.

Any name veteran is going to have his name chanted after first or second 3 and out at soldier field.   Tell me I am wrong.  

I think you find a developmental QB and roll with Mitch in 2020.  

What are odds Mitch needs shoulder surgery this offseason?  That would torpedo a lot of plans.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Team is going nowhere with Dalton or Foles.   QB2 if cheap, whatever.  Does a veteran QB2 really matter if he is only marginally better than a really bad QB1?

Best hope is Mitch surprises everyone and takes a big jump this year.  A white knight veteran that failed at most recent other spot and is thus available seems a lottery long shot.

Any name veteran is going to have his name chanted after first or second 3 and out at soldier field.   Tell me I am wrong.  

What are odds Mitch needs shoulder surgery this offseason?  That would torpedo a lot of plans.

He may but it's to his non-throwing shoulder so whatever.  If he really needs it though I'm sure we'll hear about it soon and he should be ready for training camp regardless.

As for going no where with Foles or Dalton, I disagree.  Look at Tannehill and the Titans.  He was an afterthought last offseason and signed a 1-year $2M prove it deal with Tennessee and is now going to get paid handsomely.

I can see a similar path happening for Dalton.  He's not a great QB but has shown in the past he can get the job done and lead an offense to the playoffs.

That said, Bears need to surround whichever QB is here with better weapons, specifically at TE.

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Mitch is not going to surprise anyone. I just don't think he is very good, we need to get another QB. If we can get Foles and a 3rd rounder, I think it's a slam dunk. It's year three for Mitch and he can't put it together, he probably never will.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

If they trade for Foles (unlikely) then Mitch better be going back to the Jags in return because I don;t see how Pace will justify sticking to the development plan with Mitch, as he said, while having a $22M (cap hit) backup QB.

That just doesn't add up.

It would be 16.