Offseason Talk

soflbillsfan

Not really sure where to discuss this just figured starting a new thread. What positions do you think the bills need in order to get to the next level? Any free agent player or draft prospect to talk about? 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire has been pretty impressive, I am not an LSU fan but I actually ended up watching at least half their season based on what was on tv and he has really impressed me. He has similar vision and elusiveness as Motor does and he always seems to make a ton of yards after the first hit. Very few times have I seen him go down by the first defender it seemed to be #2 or 3 defender finally bringing him down. He intrigues me for a mid round pick to play back up to Motor

I know Pass Rusher and Wr are the most discussed positions that bills need to hit on in the offseason but I think there are some other positions that can be impacted. I was wondering if Cory Littleton from the Rams would fit in at Zo's position, if not who would be someone to bring in to fill the void? 

Who is a must re-sign the bills should renew right away? My guess is Quinton Spain, he has been the anchor at LG only missed a few snaps during the Giants game but played every down outside of that and did not give up a sack all year. I think this is crucial as it also allowed Dion Dawkins to grow at the LT position. Would be nice to see how that oline comes along if he stays leaving the RT position still at question as Feliciano and Morse have done a great job at RG and C.

A lot of people are high on re-signing Jordan Phillips. Personally, as much as I'd like to have him back, if he's going to be asking for a high end amount (9-10 per) its just not worth it. This season was his one and only productive year in his career. Signing guys to big deals based off of one season is dangerous. The way our defense is, we're setup that a lot of guys that are cheaper can produce.

8 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

A lot of people are high on re-signing Jordan Phillips. Personally, as much as I'd like to have him back, if he's going to be asking for a high end amount (9-10 per) its just not worth it. This season was his one and only productive year in his career. Signing guys to big deals based off of one season is dangerous. The way our defense is, we're setup that a lot of guys that are cheaper can produce.

Same can be said about Shaq Lawson too. I agree you offer them a contract if they arent interested then let them test the market to see their value and if they get more thats when Beane should decide whether or not they are worth it. Oliver came on strong towards the end so they may not push to sign Jordan.

14 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Phillips was very good the season before when he arrived in Buffalo. His problems in Miami weren't production it was his attitude and friction within the organization 

Someone is going to "over pay" Phillips on the market. Beane won't get into a bidding war. If Phillips market isn't as high as he likely thinks it is, I could see him coming back but at this point I would be surprised.

I think both Spain and Lawson come back. Beane in the year end press conference referenced their desire to retain their own guys and he didn't expect to be big players in free agency. I think we'll see what the price tag is for Yannick but I'm not sure this staff is ready to go all out for him. Beane did say we are not one player away.

Top 3 positions of need IMO:
DE-WR-RB (no specific order).

Bills need to be able to get after the quarterback more consistently and they lack an alpha at DE. Offensively, the Bills have some building blocks but adding two more legit threats to score is surely needed. I would love a stud WR, who wouldn't? As well as a RB who can take it to the house anytime he touches the ball. Singletary is a mix of Freddy and Shady to me. Very shifty and hard to bring down like LeSean was, but lacks break away speed and won't have many 25+ runs. 

If we lose Spain or Feliciano injury has a set back, OG would be a huge need as well. I think we bring back Waddle as insurance for Ty and Ford at Tackle.

Edited by Trentwannabe

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

Someone is going to "over pay" Phillips on the market. Beane won't get into a bidding war. If Phillips market isn't as high as he likely thinks it is, I could see him coming back but at this point I would be surprised.

I think both Spain and Lawson come back. Beane in the year end press conference referenced their desire to retain their own guys and he didn't expect to be big players in free agency. I think we'll see what the price tag is for Yannick but I'm not sure this staff is ready to go all out for him. Beane did say we are not one player away.

Top 3 positions of need IMO:
DE-WR-RB (no specific order).

Bills need to be able to get after the quarterback more consistently and they lack an alpha at DE. Offensively, the Bills have some building blocks but adding two more legit threats to score is surely needed. I would love a stud WR, who wouldn't? As well as a RB who can take it to the house anytime he touches the ball. Singletary is a mix of Freddy and Shady to me. Very shifty and hard to bring down like LeSean was, but lacks break away speed and won't have many 25+ runs. 

If we lose Spain or Feliciano injury has a set back, OG would be a huge need as well. I think we bring back Waddle as insurance for Ty and Ford at Tackle.

Yannick is likely going to get tagged and as much as I would love to land that guy I just dont see it happening. The jags press conference made it clear he is the top priority but it could be a ploy to tag him and then turn around and trade him for the right price like clarke for Seattle. So would he be worth paying as well as giving up a 1st rd pick?

Spain and Waddle resigning would be huge for the oline. Having Waddle Ty Ford and Dawkins for OT it also gives flexibility at Guard as Ford can play inside as well. I think that you go in to the offseason with Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Feliciano, Ford, Ty, and Waddle it covers all basis as Feliciano is flexible at C and Guard, Ford is flexible at Guard and Tackle in case a starter goes down.

As for RB insert Cam Akers FSU RB in the 3rd round to be that speed burst guy you want as well as a hard hitter. Ettiene would be an option too but I think he ends up taken earlier 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yannick is likely going to get tagged and as much as I would love to land that guy I just dont see it happening. The jags press conference made it clear he is the top priority but it could be a ploy to tag him and then turn around and trade him for the right price like clarke for Seattle. So would he be worth paying as well as giving up a 1st rd pick?

Yeah I don't think any of the big DE free agents will end up being here or possibly even hit the market. Clowney looks poised to stay in Seattle and like you said, Yannick is priority one for the Jags.

I think that makes Shaq Lawson even the more important to re-sign. 

4 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Yeah I don't think any of the big DE free agents will end up being here or possibly even hit the market. Clowney looks poised to stay in Seattle and like you said, Yannick is priority one for the Jags.

Doubtful... Yannick tweeted about leaving Jacksonville recently 

5 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Agreed, I see no reason to attempt to sign Clowney or Yannick for bigger money than Lawson. I just doesnt seem smart to flirt with those guys only to whiff and piss Lawson off so he flees to another team

13 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Agreed, I see no reason to attempt to sign Clowney or Yannick for bigger money than Lawson. I just doesnt seem smart to flirt with those guys only to whiff and piss Lawson off so he flees to another team

Piss off Lawson? I am sorry but the guy had 1 decent season and was really nonexistent for the last 3 seasons. It comes down to money, if you try to bring in guys like clowney or yannick and miss, it should have zero effect on lawson. These guys are focused on money and will go where it best suits them. If Lawson feels that his value is more then what the bills are willing to pay him should beane and mcdermott be pissed? It can go both ways. If yannick or clowney are available meaning they hit free agency and Beane/McDermott feel they can be an impact player they need to go after them whether Shaq is happy or not. 

Im sorry but Shaq isn't a must have and if your willing to settle for him by not talking to other players to better your team whether you get them or not then you shouldnt be GM. 

14 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

Doubtful... Yannick tweeted about leaving Jacksonville recently 

he has no say unfortunately, as he can get tagged and right now the front office including Marrone are desperate to win. so I can see them easily tagging him and hope he shows up to play for the year. 

21 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Piss off Lawson? I am sorry but the guy had 1 decent season and was really nonexistent for the last 3 seasons. It comes down to money, if you try to bring in guys like clowney or yannick and miss, it should have zero effect on lawson. These guys are focused on money and will go where it best suits them. If Lawson feels that his value is more then what the bills are willing to pay him should beane and mcdermott be pissed? It can go both ways. If yannick or clowney are available meaning they hit free agency and Beane/McDermott feel they can be an impact player they need to go after them whether Shaq is happy or not. 

Im sorry but Shaq isn't a must have and if your willing to settle for him by not talking to other players to better your team whether you get them or not then you shouldnt be GM. 

This just isnt accurate at all. He was hurt his first season, but has always been great against the run.. Seems like you judge DE's by sack totals and sack totals only

Yet you'll have no problem shooting Clowney 100+ million who has never played a full season and never exceeded 10+ sacks? So confusing

Lawson is gonna be coveted this off season. Buffalo isnt a desirable FA market and if we loose out on Clowney and Yannick and loose Lawson, this team takes a step back. That being said why not just lock up Lawson and move on

I get you love certain guys but don't spit out garbage that isn't accurate to merit your claims

Edited by BillsGuy82
  • Like 1

Yeah saying Lawson was non-existent for 3 years prior is not accurate or fair at all.

Judging him by what he did his rookie season as an OLB in Rex's defense to the player he is now is apples to orange soda. Not even comparable.

He has improved every year in McFrazier's defense and is unquestionable our best run stopping DE. I implore anyone who doubts that, to go back and watch the Ravens game. His 18 Hits on the QB can't be ignored either. 

Even if we do re-sign Lawson we have a hole at DE that needs to be filled. I can't imagine how bad it would be if we lose him and fail to get one of the top guys (who I predict end up with their current teams or tag and traded).

7 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

This just isnt accurate at all. He was hurt his first season, but has always been great against the run.. Seems like you judge DE's by sack totals and sack totals only

Yet you'll have no problem shooting Clowney 100+ million who has never played a full season and never exceeded 10+ sacks? So confusing

Lawson is gonna be coveted this off season. Buffalo isnt a desirable FA market and if we loose out on Clowney and Yannick and loose Lawson, this team takes a step back. That being said why not just lock up Lawson and move on

I get you love certain guys but don't spit out garbage that isn't accurate to merit your claims

I agree. Clowney had his worst season of his career last year minus his rookie season. Three sacks isn't worth paying a guy 18-20 million per season. I would rather pay Lawson a third or half of what Clowney is going to get and then draft an edge rusher in the first couple of rounds and save 8-10 million compared to what Clowney is going to get. I hope he just re-signs with the Seahawks so we can end this discussion.

Edited by Billsfaninptown
  • Like 1