Offseason Talk

soflbillsfan

16 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I am with yeah on everything you said @soflbillsfan. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Shenault and Higgins both fall the 3rd. I also heard the Bills contacted Minnesota about Diggs at the trade deadline last year. Feel like we would have won the division had the Vikings moved him then. 

I feel like this off-season has lined up for us to go anywhere at 54. Outside of a QB, Punter and Kicker no position we draft would surprise me. Jeremy Chinn and Kyle Dugger are the current popular choices for Buffalo on twitter and some media. 

Yea apparently Beane reached out to Vikes before the trade deadline and they said they werent moving him, if they had a record a bit worse then where they were at during that time we would have had him on the roster already.

Yea the bills recently had a facetime meeting with Chinn and Dugger. Not bad options because Dugger can play a few spots and both would be in position to succeed with the way the bills do a lot of 4 2 5 sets on defense. Dont be surprised that the bills use a late round flyer or a UDFA on FIU QB James Morgan, he has strong ties with dorsey and he has met with some bills staff on multiple occasions. I think new blood to compete with Barkley is a good thing  but I do not want to waste a high draft pick on a qb. I havent heard anything about punter or kicker but with the inconsistency they had last year I would like to see some competition here 

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

Can we please go get Yannick? Please..

As much as I want him I would be shocked it happens. Mario already plays the RDE and so does Hughes who is a lock this year so that it 2 guys making 20 mil this year at the same position Yan would be playing. We have a better chance of landing Clowney to play LDE and let Murphy walk then we do picking up Yan. Just to much money invested in the one position that neither of the 3 (Hughes Mario Yan) can play LDE spot

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

As much as I want him I would be shocked it happens. Mario already plays the RDE and so does Hughes who is a lock this year so that it 2 guys making 20 mil this year at the same position Yan would be playing. We have a better chance of landing Clowney to play LDE and let Murphy walk then we do picking up Yan. Just to much money invested in the one position that neither of the 3 (Hughes Mario Yan) can play LDE spot

Not that I think we will go after Yan but Mario has also played LDE before and Beane made it sound like that is likely where he lines up for the Bills ahead of Murphy.

On 4/7/2020 at 6:44 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Not that I think we will go after Yan but Mario has also played LDE before and Beane made it sound like that is likely where he lines up for the Bills ahead of Murphy.

if that is the case then they need to move on from murphy and collect the 8 mil in cap space to turn around and apply it to another DE. Murphy and Star to me have been the worst signings that beane/mcdermott have given to players. Not every organization is perfect but clearing up cap space whether it is for now or rolled over to next year but cutting dead weight like Murphy should be done. Star isnt going anywhere after the restructure but murphy shouldnt be getting close to 10 mil for his output.

48 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

if that is the case then they need to move on from murphy and collect the 8 mil in cap space to turn around and apply it to another DE. Murphy and Star to me have been the worst signings that beane/mcdermott have given to players. Not every organization is perfect but clearing up cap space whether it is for now or rolled over to next year but cutting dead weight like Murphy should be done. Star isnt going anywhere after the restructure but murphy shouldnt be getting close to 10 mil for his output.

Is it the same cap savings if he is cut/traded now as it would be at the end of August?

If so, he might as well come to camp and be a body and possibly even earn a starting role. He is a capable DE that is overpaid. But he isn't a total bum who shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

I just don't personally see the need to move on from Murphy right now if it has the same benefits later on. Especially because he is a nice insurance policy should someone go down in camp or pre-season. 

15 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Is it the same cap savings if he is cut/traded now as it would be at the end of August?

If so, he might as well come to camp and be a body and possibly even earn a starting role. He is a capable DE that is overpaid. But he isn't a total bum who shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

I just don't personally see the need to move on from Murphy right now if it has the same benefits later on. Especially because he is a nice insurance policy should someone go down in camp or pre-season. 

to be honest if it helped assist landing Yan or getting clowney in to it then yes I would like for him to be moved now. If they have no intention of bringing in someone else then keeping him in camp would be wise unless a roster bonus pops up before then, 1 mil and then a 100k workout bonus not sure when those factor in. He isnt a bum but he is not worth the amount of money he is getting paid. At times you watch him he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off or he just stops mid play. Only a desperate team would take him on in a trade due to the big cap hit he will get this. So my guess is they do what they did with Shady by having a late off season cut in order to have that 8 mil for next year if they do not plan on spending it. With the way Clowney's price tag is stumbling I wouldnt mind them pushing to get him in there on a 1 year prove it deal to see what he can do in McDermott's system which will allow Mario to stay at his original position. Honestly would it be worth paying him a 1 year 17 mil. The bills have 23 mil in cap space and only 4 mil max to draft picks. Sending Murphy off will only cost the bills 9 mil leaving them with 10 mil to roll over for next year or late season pick ups if need be but will have a stacked defense that is already top tier.

5 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

to be honest if it helped assist landing Yan or getting clowney in to it then yes I would like for him to be moved now. If they have no intention of bringing in someone else then keeping him in camp would be wise unless a roster bonus pops up before then, 1 mil and then a 100k workout bonus not sure when those factor in. He isnt a bum but he is not worth the amount of money he is getting paid. At times you watch him he runs around like a chicken with his head cut off or he just stops mid play. Only a desperate team would take him on in a trade due to the big cap hit he will get so I dont see a team grabbing him unless he restructures. So my guess is they do what they did with Shady by having a late off season cut in order to have that 8 mil for next year if they do not plan on spending it. With the way Clowney's price tag is stumbling I wouldnt mind them pushing to get him in there on a 1 year prove it deal to see what he can do in McDermott's system which will allow Mario to stay at his original position. Honestly would it be worth paying him a 1 year 17 mil. The bills have 23 mil in cap space and only 4 mil max to draft picks. Sending Murphy off will only cost the bills 9 mil leaving them with 10 mil to roll over for next year or late season pick ups if need be but will have a stacked defense that is already top tier.

In my final and official mock in the mock section, I have you guys trading 54 to the Jags for Yannick. Yannick makes more sense to the Bills than any other team imo. Late 2nd seems like fair compensation. You guys are trying to win the Super Bowl these next couple years. 

In the 3rd I have you selecting RB Zack Moss which should help out the offense. Tough, tough runner, and control ToP. 

8 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

So my guess is they do what they did with Shady by having a late off season cut in order to have that 8 mil for next year if they do not plan on spending it.

This is what I think too. Not sure the Bills address DE too early in the draft and they may want to see if Daryl Johnson makes progress before moving on from Murphy. If Johnson and or a rookie are tied with Murphy coming out of camp then he'll likely get cut but if he is the clear best options as the number 3 rusher then I see no issues keeping him on the roster. 

18 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

In my final and official mock in the mock section, I have you guys trading 54 to the Jags for Yannick. Yannick makes more sense to the Bills than any other team imo. Late 2nd seems like fair compensation. You guys are trying to win the Super Bowl these next couple years. 

In the 3rd I have you selecting RB Zack Moss which should help out the offense. Tough, tough runner, and control ToP. 

Would be pretty unreal if that happened, though it seems rather unlikely on both sides.

Beane's contracts haven't been the best and I think he is trying to win without having to pay someone top dollar. Thats why I think he went with diggs and not hopkins cause he knew that the cost for hopkins would be 100 mil contract while diggs still has 4 years remaining on his contract that is reasonable and easily able to get out of with the guarantees the bills have to pay him which is only 10.9 mil and that is this years base salary. If getting yan he will be seeking 100+ mil with 50-60 guaranteed. Something that is outside of Beane's typical moves. 

I guess I am the minority but I dont get the appeal of Moss and dillon, would rather seek a different rb in the  3rd like CEH or Akers.

10 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Beane's contracts haven't been the best and I think he is trying to win without having to pay someone top dollar. Thats why I think he went with diggs and not hopkins cause he knew that the cost for hopkins would be 100 mil contract while diggs still has 4 years remaining on his contract that is reasonable and easily able to get out of with the guarantees the bills have to pay him which is only 10.9 mil and that is this years base salary. If getting yan he will be seeking 100+ mil with 50-60 guaranteed. Something that is outside of Beane's typical moves. 

I guess I am the minority but I dont get the appeal of Moss and dillon, would rather seek a different rb in the  3rd like CEH or Akers.

Well the problem with that is those two likely go in the 2nd. 

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Well the problem with that is those two likely go in the 2nd. 

thats a possibility as that is the projected spot 2-3 so it might be worth it to move up which beane is known to do. RB2 is the main thing they need on offense as of right now. I just have a feeling all RBs will be falling, I am not sure if one will go in the draft in the 1st rd. I can see Swift and Taylor as borderline 1st rd but with the draft being so deep at WR I can see a run at the end of the round on WR making the RBs fall.