Offseason Talk

soflbillsfan

3 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

So, this is interesting. I like the idea of adding Dobbins, but must say he better be very close to the best available player on the board.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/buffalo-bills-hold-pre-draft-meeting-with-ohio-state-rb-jk-dobbins.html

the more and more talk about him I dont see him making it to the bills at 54 to many teams ahead have been interested in him I think he ends up going to the Ravens or Saints in rd 1, at worst to the dolphins in the 2nd rd. 

27 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

How can we get into the first round for a pass rusher

beane already said today in a phone interview that he has no plans of getting in to the first rd. Plus outside of chaisson and chase there arent any pass rushers worth moving up for, that wouldnt involve a future 1st rd pick. It would be better to just trade the 2nd and a future pick for Yannick then it would be to try and move up in the draft to land a guy like epenesa  

16 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think this staff is a lot more comfortable with the DE position then fans are.

CB too.

Yes for this year they have it locked down however outside of 2020 season both positions look bleak and I think that is what concerns a lot of fans including myself. Beane and McDermott have found ways to build this team short term and long term by using the picks on key players and continue to build the team up through the draft while resigning their own and bringing in key piece for the short term at positions that are weak. Edge was definitely my #1 concern before free agency then WR, with the additions of Mario and Diggs it is no longer a massive concern. Wr seems to be locked in for at least 2 years with Brown Beasley and diggs. By 2021 offseason they need to start looking for long term options as both brown and beasley will be fa and they are 30 years old right now will be 32 when FA hits. Mario Murphy and Hughes all are on 1-2 year deals essentially and they are over the age of 30 (Mario and hughes 33) again both answered for this year but not long term. CB is now my main concern because you have 3 #2 corners on a 1 year deal and Tre white who is arguably the best corner in the league and will get paid for that. If they can come away with a solid one in this years draft with the 2nd rd pick they will be able to safely balance out the contracts with a rookie paid Corner and tres likely 90 mil deal. Yes they can go in to the draft next year and grab one in the 1st rd to do the balance but having them come in this year to learn behind a guy like Josh norman and tre white along with being able to not have to contribute week 1 can be very beneficial. Then you can go in to 2021 draft landing the best pass rusher to play behind Mario for 1 year before stepping in and starting right away. Mcdermotts strong suit is the DB position which is why I have a feeling that this will be their top pick in the 2nd rd if one falls to them and is not a reach. He came in to the HC position by drafting Tre White and I could see him doing it again with the 2nd rd pick.

• Like 2

I agree that we need long term answers at Edge. I heard a stat that the Bills are #2 in the league in money committed to DE. We would be #1, but for some reason Mario Addison is listed as an OLB. This scares me a lot because typically if you commit this much money to a position group you should have some long term pieces on the roster and we have none outside of maybe Darryl Johnson, but he's a 7th round pick. If there's an edge worth taking at 54 I would prefer going that route over CB 2. McDermott is really good at finding bargain bin players and late draft picks in the secondary. We might as well draft a DE or two with upside and let them develop behind our veterans and in a year or two they can carry the torch.

1 hour ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I agree that we need long term answers at Edge. I heard a stat that the Bills are #2 in the league in money committed to DE. We would be #1, but for some reason Mario Addison is listed as an OLB. This scares me a lot because typically if you commit this much money to a position group you should have some long term pieces on the roster and we have none outside of maybe Darryl Johnson, but he's a 7th round pick. If there's an edge worth taking at 54 I would prefer going that route over CB 2. McDermott is really good at finding bargain bin players and late draft picks in the secondary. We might as well draft a DE or two with upside and let them develop behind our veterans and in a year or two they can carry the torch.

According to Spotrac we would be second in 2020 salary for defensive ends at 38 mil this year however they have Quinton Jefferson 7 mil included to this. In camp if Jefferson is used more in the LDE position then the DT3 then Murphy is likely gone. I just dont see them paying for Jefferson, Star, Butler, then have harrison and oliver that is way to much DT. Your talking about having 10 roster spots if including johnson to the front 4. The bills had 7-8 going in to 2019 season and held through out the year. 6 of the top 11 cap hits are dlineman. You have to assume that Murphy's cap relief of 8 mil if let go makes the most sense. Like Trentwannabe mentioned before, Murphy is going to be likely a late offseason release as there is no benefit to letting him go now as it would a month from now. If they go in to the draft and land one then I can see Murphy being let go by May 1st but if they dont go dlineman in the draft then they will hold on to him for now in case of injury.

My question to you is what edge would be out there that is worth taking this year? The draft is super weak on edge rushers outside of the top 2 and then the other 2 that are argued to be late first rd picks are going to be situational type guys. After that your talking more 3-4 OLB edge guys then there are 4-3 edge rushers then you have developmental guys like Okwara from ND, Josh Uche Michigan, and Curtis Weaver Boise St who are suspect. I know that Edge is a concern but with a weak draft and the rotation that Mcdermott uses I have a feeling that they will hold off on this position this year and then go all in next year on one.

The reason I bring up Cb or even DB is because there is depth to it and have solid players in the 2-3 rd that could be 1-2 rd in any other draft. At least with edge the bills have guys like jefferson, mario, and hughes locked up through 2021 season, with CB you only have this year and thats it then you have to start all over again. The bills were able to pull the ERFA on Wallace to have that safety net for last year and this year and were able to plug in guys on one year deals now they are going to have to look at it differently as next offseason they dont have the luxury of ERFA as Wallace will be seeking a real deal and its his 3rd and final year. Tre's big contract is going to eat up a lot of that cap so they may not be able to afford these 5-6 mil 1 year deals on a #2 corner.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

According to Spotrac we would be second in 2020 salary for defensive ends at 38 mil this year however they have Quinton Jefferson 7 mil included to this. In camp if Jefferson is used more in the LDE position then the DT3 then Murphy is likely gone. I just dont see them paying for Jefferson, Star, Butler, then have harrison and oliver that is way to much DT. Your talking about having 10 roster spots if including johnson to the front 4. The bills had 7-8 going in to 2019 season and held through out the year. 6 of the top 11 cap hits are dlineman. You have to assume that Murphy's cap relief of 8 mil if let go makes the most sense. Like Trentwannabe mentioned before, Murphy is going to be likely a late offseason release as there is no benefit to letting him go now as it would a month from now. If they go in to the draft and land one then I can see Murphy being let go by May 1st but if they dont go dlineman in the draft then they will hold on to him for now in case of injury.

My question to you is what edge would be out there that is worth taking this year? The draft is super weak on edge rushers outside of the top 2 and then the other 2 that are argued to be late first rd picks are going to be situational type guys. After that your talking more 3-4 OLB edge guys then there are 4-3 edge rushers then you have developmental guys like Okwara from ND, Josh Uche Michigan, and Curtis Weaver Boise St who are suspect. I know that Edge is a concern but with a weak draft and the rotation that Mcdermott uses I have a feeling that they will hold off on this position this year and then go all in next year on one.

The reason I bring up Cb or even DB is because there is depth to it and have solid players in the 2-3 rd that could be 1-2 rd in any other draft. At least with edge the bills have guys like jefferson, mario, and hughes locked up through 2021 season, with CB you only have this year and thats it then you have to start all over again. The bills were able to pull the ERFA on Wallace to have that safety net for last year and this year and were able to plug in guys on one year deals now they are going to have to look at it differently as next offseason they dont have the luxury of ERFA as Wallace will be seeking a real deal and its his 3rd and final year. Tre's big contract is going to eat up a lot of that cap so they may not be able to afford these 5-6 mil 1 year deals on a #2 corner.

You're right, this draft is super deep at CB. I think we could take an edge rusher like Weaver, Darrell Taylor, Okwara, Uche at 54 and then we could still get a solid CB in the 3rd round like Bryce Hall, or Ojemudia in the 3rd round. I would be happy with day 3 guys like Reggie Robinson, Harrison Hand, or Nevelle Clarke. With this draft being so deep at CB or WR you can get quality players on early to mid day 3.

8 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Yes for this year they have it locked down however outside of 2020 season both positions look bleak and I think that is what concerns a lot of fans including myself. Beane and McDermott have found ways to build this team short term and long term by using the picks on key players and continue to build the team up through the draft while resigning their own and bringing in key piece for the short term at positions that are weak. Edge was definitely my #1 concern before free agency then WR, with the additions of Mario and Diggs it is no longer a massive concern. Wr seems to be locked in for at least 2 years with Brown Beasley and diggs. By 2021 offseason they need to start looking for long term options as both brown and beasley will be fa and they are 30 years old right now will be 32 when FA hits. Mario Murphy and Hughes all are on 1-2 year deals essentially and they are over the age of 30 (Mario and hughes 33) again both answered for this year but not long term. CB is now my main concern because you have 3 #2 corners on a 1 year deal and Tre white who is arguably the best corner in the league and will get paid for that. If they can come away with a solid one in this years draft with the 2nd rd pick they will be able to safely balance out the contracts with a rookie paid Corner and tres likely 90 mil deal. Yes they can go in to the draft next year and grab one in the 1st rd to do the balance but having them come in this year to learn behind a guy like Josh norman and tre white along with being able to not have to contribute week 1 can be very beneficial. Then you can go in to 2021 draft landing the best pass rusher to play behind Mario for 1 year before stepping in and starting right away. Mcdermotts strong suit is the DB position which is why I have a feeling that this will be their top pick in the 2nd rd if one falls to them and is not a reach. He came in to the HC position by drafting Tre White and I could see him doing it again with the 2nd rd pick.

They certainly have done their homework on CBs this year. Getting a guy on a cheap rookie deal for 4 years beside Tre would be ideal. Although I see the value at 86 over pick 54. Of course next Thursday could change that if, like you said, guys start falling.

3 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

You're right, this draft is super deep at CB. I think we could take an edge rusher like Weaver, Darrell Taylor, Okwara, Uche at 54 and then we could still get a solid CB in the 3rd round like Bryce Hall, or Ojemudia in the 3rd round. I would be happy with day 3 guys like Reggie Robinson, Harrison Hand, or Nevelle Clarke. With this draft being so deep at CB or WR you can get quality players on early to mid day 3.

I love all those corners you listed. But those Edge players leave a lot to be desired. Weaver is my favourite of the bunch and would be fine with him at 54. But even he has some questions marks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Pick 54 came out of left field. Truly BPA. Whatever that ends up being is anyone’s guess really. 

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I love all those corners you listed. But those Edge players leave a lot to be desired. Weaver is my favourite of the bunch and would be fine with him at 54. But even he has some questions marks.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Pick 54 came out of left field. Truly BPA. Whatever that ends up being is anyone’s guess really. 

I am on board with BPA. If there's a CB that falls and is great value at 54 then pull the trigger. None if the edge players I listed are fully polished, but I think Uche, Darrell Taylor, Okwara have upside. If they can learn from guys like Hughes and Addison for a year or two I think they could be a cornerstone on the edge for years to come. In the end it depends on how the first 53 picks play out. Beane set this team up to go with BPA and get maximum value.

22 hours ago, Billsfaninptown said:

I am on board with BPA. If there's a CB that falls and is great value at 54 then pull the trigger. None if the edge players I listed are fully polished, but I think Uche, Darrell Taylor, Okwara have upside. If they can learn from guys like Hughes and Addison for a year or two I think they could be a cornerstone on the edge for years to come. In the end it depends on how the first 53 picks play out. Beane set this team up to go with BPA and get maximum value.

Yup. Really anything other than QB, Kicker and Punter is in play at 54. 

It seems that the bills are interested in the RB from Appalachian St as they have had a few meetings with him which seems like they have legit interest. From what I also heard the bills have yet to have a phone interview with Taylor so I assume they wouldnt go after him. Also rumors of the bills possibly trading for Fournette by giving up a late rd pick, he has 1 year 4 mil left on his deal and they could put the 5th year option on him if they choose or just let him walk next offseason as they could land a comp pick. It would answer the #2 rb and he will be the downfield runner the bills are looking for. Isnt a longterm answer and he is said to have issues with the organization but then again it sounds like that is the norm with players and that organization. 

12 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

It seems that the bills are interested in the RB from Appalachian St as they have had a few meetings with him which seems like they have legit interest. From what I also heard the bills have yet to have a phone interview with Taylor so I assume they wouldnt go after him. Also rumors of the bills possibly trading for Fournette by giving up a late rd pick, he has 1 year 4 mil left on his deal and they could put the 5th year option on him if they choose or just let him walk next offseason as they could land a comp pick. It would answer the #2 rb and he will be the downfield runner the bills are looking for. Isnt a longterm answer and he is said to have issues with the organization but then again it sounds like that is the norm with players and that organization. 

I could see Darryton getting taken in the 3rd. Not sure if it it'll be us but his stock is rising. Fournette would be interesting if it is for a 5th or later. Not sure how he would feel about Buffalo after beer being thrown at him when he got ejected in 2018.