Offseason Talk

soflbillsfan

17 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This is great for us but I also ******* hate it with a fiery passion. The owners clearly do not care about anything other than wringing as much money from this cash cow as they can before it collapses.

If MLB and NBA still exist the NFL will not have a problem expanding playoffs as they have a crap ton of playoff teams and games. I am not a fan of this and it is clearly a money maker but I would have done it differently instead of going 1 bye, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5..... you have  6 vs 7 the winner plays 3 the following week while 4 vs 5 and 1/2 both get the bye similar to the 1980s format that had 5 teams instead of 6 

On 2/19/2020 at 7:25 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

Hes a top talent but his forte is stretching the field. Allen cant throw deep balls and his skillset is similar to John Brown

If draft equity gets moved id rather move on up the draft board for Jerry Jeudy or CeeDee Lamb on a 5 year rookie contract

I am hoping Allen spends every spare minute working arm reeling in that cannon. It wasn't great as a rookie but it was certainly better.

In terms of skill set being similar to Brown, I agree but I also don't think that should be a reason not to go after a talented player. I look at  the Chiefs as an example. Their top 3 WR's are all speed guys and 6'2 and under and do very similar things. They just all do it really well.

That is part of the reason I think Ruggs likely goes top 15 and Jalon Reagor sneaks into round 1.

20 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

Diggs is obviously talented, but I can't imagine he fits into what McBeaneCo wants in our locker room. They will probably make some phone calls and talk to Diggs for due diligence sake, but I bet discussions don't even broach the subject of compensation. Just don't see him as a legit option.

This is pretty much how I feel. The player would be great to have. The person likely not as much. And in such a strong WR class where the consensus seems to be at least 15-20 1st to 3rd round grades exist, there isn't a need to trade assets for that contract.

On 2/19/2020 at 7:40 PM, soflbillsfan said:

I think the move is lame and a huge advantage of being the top seed to be the only team to get the 1st rd bye, at least the 2nd team had a chance at a bye to get the same rest as the 1 seed.

Bills are destined to get the 2nd seed this year now and receive no bye week. 

Gonna just leave this here. Links to Beane's and McDermott's actual interviews are at the end of he article.https://buffalowdown.com/2020/02/25/buffalo-bills-takeaways-beane-mcdermott-conferences-nfl-combine/

My take-away: They're looking for a possession receiver and feel someone is "good enough". I'm not a fan of "good enough". Strong collection of receivers this year means we could find a potential game-changer. We should be doing that and forcing opposing D's to pick their poison.

I do not know if the Franchise Tag has been placed on Yannick yet but is expected to. He came out on social media saying his time in Jax is over and he is looking forward to a new city and team. He does not want to be in Jax anymore and that he loved the county and gave it his all. With that said I do not see Beane giving up much for him on top of paying him.  Chaisson and Chase are really the only top Pass rushers in the draft and the bills would have to give up the 22 plus something else in order to move up to land him so would it be wise to get Yannick who we know is a solid pass rusher then taking an unknown in the draft who has the potential to be yannick? 

What is the Jags cap situation like? What kind of leverage do they have if they tag him and he refuses to report and/or sign.

He obviously wants to leave Jacksonville. I have seen mocks or fan speculation say we give them pick 54 and get Yannick and Nick Foles back. Free up a bunch of cap space for the Jags who at least get something out of the deal. 

4 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

What is the Jags cap situation like? What kind of leverage do they have if they tag him and he refuses to report and/or sign.

He obviously wants to leave Jacksonville. I have seen mocks or fan speculation say we give them pick 54 and get Yannick and Nick Foles back. Free up a bunch of cap space for the Jags who at least get something out of the deal. 

They freed up a bunch of cap space by declining Marvell Dareus option. Plus they’re expected to release Bouye which will free up a bunch more room too which I’m guessing allowed them the space to franchise Yannick. 

17 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

The were way over cap and with Dareus cut they are back under with 20 mil in cap space but that does not take in to account the franchise tag and draft picks. I just cant imagine a team willing to keep 18-20 mil on hold for a guy who has been outspoken about not wanting to play there and willing to sit. The GM and HC are essentially on the hot seat and could use as much help as possible so letting him go to get guys in there that want to play as well as get the draft pick or players for him would be in their interest. They dont want to get stuck in a position like the texans where they got nothing for clowney.

As for speculation of giving up a 2nd rd pick plus taking on foles contract and paying yannick top pass rusher money is  a homer for sure cause no one is going to do all that and get stuck with a bad deal. I do know the jags have expressed interest in trading foles but will cost the bills 15+ mil a year no thank you. that money is far to important to extend guys just to waste it on a bum like Foles.

Another thing that I haven’t seen brought up yet by anyone. I think we should work on extending Beane and McDermott. They each have two years remaining but I think locking them up together long term is key. They seem to be an amazing pairing which is something we haven’t seen here in a very long time. And with them locked up long term, I believe it’ll help us retain our own guys knowing who’s at the helm and the type of culture they can expect. 

14 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

Another thing that I haven’t seen brought up yet by anyone. I think we should work on extending Beane and McDermott. They each have two years remaining but I think locking them up together long term is key. They seem to be an amazing pairing which is something we haven’t seen here in a very long time. And with them locked up long term, I believe it’ll help us retain our own guys knowing who’s at the helm and the type of culture they can expect. 

I believe they will be doing that during the season. That stuff usually happens when its not hectic and they still have plenty of time to do so. 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Frank Gore not expected to return to Buffalo. This was expected but did wish he would sign on with the team as a coaching personnel as he is a great leader and can offer assistance that he did with Singletary. Wish him the best.

Like you said, this is to be expected.

I am curious what we do at the Rb2. McDermott and Beane recently praised Yeldon. I think we all assume we'll draft one at some point in the later rounds. I wonder if we bring in a veteran to compete with TJ.