Offseason Talk

soflbillsfan

56 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Like you said, this is to be expected.

I am curious what we do at the Rb2. McDermott and Beane recently praised Yeldon. I think we all assume we'll draft one at some point in the later rounds. I wonder if we bring in a veteran to compete with TJ.

I wouldnt be surprised if we draft one earlier. We met we Swift, Akers, Edwards-Helair, and Moss at the combine. Plus we have mentioned we need more big plays... wouldnt be surprised to draft a WR in round 1 and a RB in round 2.

26 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

I wouldnt be surprised if we draft one earlier. We met we Swift, Akers, Edwards-Helair, and Moss at the combine. Plus we have mentioned we need more big plays... wouldnt be surprised to draft a WR in round 1 and a RB in round 2.

If we address DE in some way via trade or free agency I agree with you.

17 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

They are definitely checking in on a Rb but I cant imagine them spending a high pick on one to split carries with singletary, I think round 3 or later would more likely. Bills have some greater needs. If spain walks then you have feliciano going to LG and Ford moving to RG, leaving a hole at RT. Lorenzo retired behind Milano and Edmunds you have thompson and joseph and thats it. DT you only have oliver star and harrison (coming off injury),  with the way they rotate they will need atleast 1 more, pass rusher a huge need outside of a hughes 32 year old and murphy who is absolutely overrated you have a back up in Johnson and thats it. CB outside of Tre, turon, and lewis that is all that is on the roster right now.

So yes RB2 is going to end up being needed but to me you have WR, DE, DT, LB, Oline and CB all with holes and are much greater needs before RB2. I know FA will change that and things will be put in to a much better perspective with in the next 12-14 days but as of right now I dont see RB being a top 5 need let alone a 2nd pick in the draft. I do like Akers and Edwards think one of those 2 in the 3rd rd would be an ideal situation for both the bills. I think Akers is the best back in the draft. If he didnt have such a piss poor offensive line, hc (who was offensive minded and pretty much ran the play calling) and qb he would have been having a better college career then Dalvin Cook did at FSU. 

1 hour ago, DER10N92 said:

The one guy on Rotoworld did a mock draft and has us taking Epenesa and then has NE taking Jeudy immediately after. If we pass on JJ right there I’d be so pissed

Yea media just do that for the click bait. If Jeudy is there at 20 they would move up to land him so to think that they wouldnt take him at 22 is laughable. He would have had to do some serious stuff to mess up his draft stock to be the 4th wr off the board. Also Murray not in the 1st round? Outisde of Simmons he is the best LB in the draft, Tua at 2 to the skins you cant pass up on a rusher of chase caliber for tua after paying all that money for alex smith and then drafting haskins 1st rd last year. New coaching staff or not they are not a qb away from being contenders so why put a qb in a situation they arent ready for and use the guys currently on the roster to see what they have. If its nothing then next year would be an ideal time for a qb.

This CBA thing is messing up teams, I feel that no extensions or contracts can be put in place until its agreed on and the voting goes until March 12th which gives the teams only 4 days to have contracts with existing players to sign as the "legal tampering" can start on the 16.

If the bills dont get a deal done with Spain, what are the chances they go after a guy like OT Vaitai as his expected price tag is around the 8-10 mil range. That would mean feliciano goes to LG and Ford goes to RG with Vaitai anchoring the RT position as it seems like he will hit free agency 

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

If the bills dont get a deal done with Spain, what are the chances they go after a guy like OT Vaitai as his expected price tag is around the 8-10 mil range. That would mean feliciano goes to LG and Ford goes to RG with Vaitai anchoring the RT position as it seems like he will hit free agency 

I hope we do this regardless of the CBA. I think Spain is going to get over paid on the open market just like John Miller did last season. And Spain is better. 

I say spend the money on a Tackle rather then a Guard if free agency is the route we go.

On 3/4/2020 at 1:54 PM, soflbillsfan said:

They are definitely checking in on a Rb but I cant imagine them spending a high pick on one to split carries with singletary, I think round 3 or later would more likely. Bills have some greater needs. If spain walks then you have feliciano going to LG and Ford moving to RG, leaving a hole at RT. Lorenzo retired behind Milano and Edmunds you have thompson and joseph and thats it. DT you only have oliver star and harrison (coming off injury),  with the way they rotate they will need atleast 1 more, pass rusher a huge need outside of a hughes 32 year old and murphy who is absolutely overrated you have a back up in Johnson and thats it. CB outside of Tre, turon, and lewis that is all that is on the roster right now.

So yes RB2 is going to end up being needed but to me you have WR, DE, DT, LB, Oline and CB all with holes and are much greater needs before RB2. I know FA will change that and things will be put in to a much better perspective with in the next 12-14 days but as of right now I dont see RB being a top 5 need let alone a 2nd pick in the draft. I do like Akers and Edwards think one of those 2 in the 3rd rd would be an ideal situation for both the bills. I think Akers is the best back in the draft. If he didnt have such a piss poor offensive line, hc (who was offensive minded and pretty much ran the play calling) and qb he would have been having a better college career then Dalvin Cook did at FSU. 

All im saying is I wouldnt be surprised... Singletary can be a really good RB but coaches may very well see him as just a RB2 given his lack of size and speed. Yes there are some more important needs in my opinion but as Beane showed last year he likes to fill needs in free agency and draft BPA. He signed a ton of linemen and Brown and Cole just so he could draft BPA. Before free agency i would of thought it would be crazy to draft Oliver with Jordan Phillips ready to step up.

This is a temendous WR and RB class. So i could really  see us signing a TE, DE, LB, and a Linemen so we can draft a WR and RB. Last year Dline was the deepest position in draft and we put ourselves in position to take advantage of that. I think this year we may try to do the same with the WR and RB position.

20 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

All im saying is I wouldnt be surprised... Singletary can be a really good RB but coaches may very well see him as just a RB2 given his lack of size and speed. Yes there are some more important needs in my opinion but as Beane showed last year he likes to fill needs in free agency and draft BPA. He signed a ton of linemen and Brown and Cole just so he could draft BPA. Before free agency i would of thought it would be crazy to draft Oliver with Jordan Phillips ready to step up.

This is a temendous WR and RB class. So i could really  see us signing a TE, DE, LB, and a Linemen so we can draft a WR and RB. Last year Dline was the deepest position in draft and we put ourselves in position to take advantage of that. I think this year we may try to do the same with the WR and RB position.

I think you were mistaken as Phillips shined this year and was an extra pick up midseason last year, and was only brought back on a 1 year deal. Oliver was definitely on the radar going back to mid season when the bills started out awful as the top 2 players being discussed was Oliver and Bosa, they didnt go oline first because the class wasnt top heavy and was fairly weak for studs same with WR. 

You mention that the RB class is deep but so is free agents and the way you mention that Beane fills needs in FA I could see this being one of them. You have Henry, Gordon, Drake, Howard, Breita, Hyde, Miller, all who can help out right away and is an upgrade to yeldon. Outside of henry everyone else should be getting a respectable offer like Eckler just got 4 years 24 mil, or less. 

On 2020-03-06 at 3:16 PM, soflbillsfan said:

I think you were mistaken as Phillips shined this year and was an extra pick up midseason last year, and was only brought back on a 1 year deal. Oliver was definitely on the radar going back to mid season when the bills started out awful as the top 2 players being discussed was Oliver and Bosa, they didnt go oline first because the class wasnt top heavy and was fairly weak for studs same with WR. 

You mention that the RB class is deep but so is free agents and the way you mention that Beane fills needs in FA I could see this being one of them. You have Henry, Gordon, Drake, Howard, Breita, Hyde, Miller, all who can help out right away and is an upgrade to yeldon. Outside of henry everyone else should be getting a respectable offer like Eckler just got 4 years 24 mil, or less. 

Gordon is gonna get paid by someone. He's a legit RB1 in his prime

13 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Gordon is gonna get paid by someone. He's a legit RB1 in his prime

How come the Chargers decided to pay Eckler instead? I think his stock is down as he didnt do as well as he wanted after holding out. He may settle for a 1 year 5-6 mil prove it deal and go get something in 2021 offseason. You may be right someone may be willing to pay him more then Eckler, but its a tough sell on a position that is easily replaced. Just look at Shady, Singletary replaced him. Look at Mckinnon, Breida and Coleman replaced him. Eckler replaced Gordon. Drake replaced david johnson. Connor replaced bell. Its just an easy position to replace so to over spend at that position now a days is rare and has taking a hit on teams like Gurley's contract, or Bell's contract. I think Tennessee will either tag henry or pay him big bucks but I cant imagine Gordon getting that level of pay. We will see later this week though. 

How come no one has mentioned Arik Armstead as an option for the bills? What do people think his price tag would be? He had a solid year but seems to be trending in the direction Shaq was but he has been better against the pass rush then shaq has been. Would he be a fall back option if the bills cant land a top tier guy like Clowney or Yannick. 

Bills are rumored to be interested in DT DJ Reader but I cant imagine them letting Phillips walk to bring in Reader to play back up to star or have star back him up and end up paying this guy 10-12 mil a year while paying Star 8 and 9.3 next year. I know Star is not a long term answer and likely to be cut next offseason but wouldnt you want that amount of money to be used on a position that needs to be filled this year like pass rusher or OLB?

54 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

How come no one has mentioned Arik Armstead as an option for the bills? What do people think his price tag would be? He had a solid year but seems to be trending in the direction Shaq was but he has been better against the pass rush then shaq has been. Would he be a fall back option if the bills cant land a top tier guy like Clowney or Yannick. 

Bills are rumored to be interested in DT DJ Reader but I cant imagine them letting Phillips walk to bring in Reader to play back up to star or have star back him up and end up paying this guy 10-12 mil a year while paying Star 8 and 9.3 next year. I know Star is not a long term answer and likely to be cut next offseason but wouldnt you want that amount of money to be used on a position that needs to be filled this year like pass rusher or OLB?

No idea about Armstead price tag.

Reader would be a huge get for the Bills. He is everything we were hoping to get with Star. I don't think the Bills will be looking to bring in a high priced OLB or draft one early. Bills are in nickel way too much to put a premium on a 3rd LB. I agree edge rusher is a major need but so is stopping the run and It wouldn't shock me at all if McDermott and Beane put a huge emphasis on the DL in general.

IMO Oliver is the only bona fide starter on DL. The whole unit is a weakness at the moment. 

18 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

No idea about Armstead price tag.

Reader would be a huge get for the Bills. He is everything we were hoping to get with Star. I don't think the Bills will be looking to bring in a high priced OLB or draft one early. Bills are in nickel way too much to put a premium on a 3rd LB. I agree edge rusher is a major need but so is stopping the run and It wouldn't shock me at all if McDermott and Beane put a huge emphasis on the DL in general.

IMO Oliver is the only bona fide starter on DL. The whole unit is a weakness at the moment. 

I completely agree on the unit being weak but if they felt that Star wasnt going to be the answer I would have assumed they would have cut him to clear 2.3 mil rather then restructuring which keeps him on the team this year by adding more guarantees to his contract that possibly can keep him on the roster next year as he would have a dead cap of 7.7 at that time. Which to me seems like a lot to have if they pay reader the 10+ mil he is going to command. 

3rd LB is still a need even with them being in nickel a lot they need that guy to fill Zo's role and they currently do not have it plus if they draft one it could also mean they have a chance to see if they can replace milano and save that projected 12 mil a year price tag

What's up with Jordan Phillips?  He's got a significantly low PFF score and a significantly high sack total, especially for someone listed at 341 pounds.  Anybody care to shed some light on that? 

I don't treat PFF as Gospel, but for the most part it's usually pretty close to understandable what their grades are, so I'm wondering if he had an Erik Walden 2016 type season where he sold out for sacks and wasn't really doing his job.