Offseason Talk

soflbillsfan

3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

If the smoke about the Pats getting Watson turns out to be something and not just internet randos being bored because we're all stuck inside then it is official that if there is a god, that it hates all of us specifically with the white hot passion of ten thousand suns.

Pats fans have become delusional. Time for NE to tear down and rebuild just like the other 31 teams have had to do over Bradys reign

Houston isnt gonna let there young franchise QB go and NE doesnt have the trade ammo to get him. Hes gonna cost numerous 1st round picks 

2 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Either of those guys would be fantastic additions IMO.

Went Claypool. His 6'4 frame will help Allen in redzone packages right away, he can play special teams and fits the mold of a compliment piece to Diggs, Brown and Beasley 

Looking RB in round 4

With the trade for diggs and resigning of mckenzie its not out of the realm they roll with what they have at the position and not draft a wr at all. 

These moves have clearly put the bills in a position to draft whatever player is best on the clock. No massive holes are needed and the depth is there so if they are on a clock and they have an Rb LB or something else above WR then they may go with that position going down the line of picks. 

On 3/23/2020 at 9:39 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

If the smoke about the Pats getting Watson turns out to be something and not just internet randos being bored because we're all stuck inside then it is official that if there is a god, that it hates all of us specifically with the white hot passion of ten thousand suns.

I got news for you if they traded Watson that will be the end of the Houston Organization. Getting rid of high profile players like Clowney and Hopkins is one thing getting rid of your franchise QB who has actually carried the team at times and is still in his prime is marketing suicide and no way can that organization come back from that. Pats are clearly creating this narrative as they still believe the organization is bigger then any other team. Now that Tom has left I expect to see them hit rock bottom in the AFC East for a couple of years before they regroup again. Bill is good coach but he is no savior, and people will start to see it. Same goes with the Bucs they landed Tom but he is 42 years old and has lost a step he will be facing some stiff competition in that division with Atlanta and NOLA this year. 

33 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

With the trade for diggs and resigning of mckenzie its not out of the realm they roll with what they have at the position and not draft a wr at all. 

These moves have clearly put the bills in a position to draft whatever player is best on the clock. No massive holes are needed and the depth is there so if they are on a clock and they have an Rb LB or something else above WR then they may go with that position going down the line of picks. 

I would be surprised if we didn't take a WR at some point simply because of how deep this draft is, I feel it is almost a guarantee that at some point they will be the clear BPA.

I also think stiff competition for McKenzie or Duke or both is needed. 

42 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I would be surprised if we didn't take a WR at some point simply because of how deep this draft is, I feel it is almost a guarantee that at some point they will be the clear BPA.

I also think stiff competition for McKenzie or Duke or both is needed. 

Yea I’d be surprised too if we didn’t take a WR either especially since every WR we have other than Diggs only has 1-2 years left on their contracts which will give a rookie time to develop into a WR 2/3

On 3/25/2020 at 7:00 PM, DER10N92 said:

Yea I’d be surprised too if we didn’t take a WR either especially since every WR we have other than Diggs only has 1-2 years left on their contracts which will give a rookie time to develop into a WR 2/3

My thoughts as well. If we still believe the old adage that WR's take at least two years to fully develop in the NFL then grabbing a guy now to sit behind Brown/Beasley makes a lot of sense.

I love that Smoke will be facing CB2 more often now. But after this season I would expect to see at least some kind of decline from a 31 year old who relies on speed during the 2021 season.

On 3/25/2020 at 7:00 PM, DER10N92 said:

Same can be said with the CB2 spot or pass rusher. The bills have answered the temp fix by having Addison and Hughes on the rightside, possibly keeping Murphy on the left side but the next year to two years you can expect all three to no longer be on the team. Then you have Norman and Gaines on a 1 year deal, with Levi on a ERFA which will be the 3rd year and then next year you have to pay him or let him walk. So is WR more important or a need long term over those two positions? I think this draft is going to be interesting because there is no clear need at the moment and the bills can strictly go BPA and just focus on players who can make a long term impact and can fill a spot on some plays while the vet gets rest or is injured. Bills RB spot is suspect, I like Singletary but they need a #2. However it doesnt need to be in the draft as some guys are still out there that can contribute at a solid level in Freeman, Hyde, and possibly Miller if healthy. Oline has Spain Morse and Ford locked up long term but Feliciano, Dawkins, Williams, Long, ty all are free agents in the next year. TE has Knox and Sweeney locked in, smith croom, and Kroft are all gone next year. Yes WR can definitely be an option to look at in the draft, even though it may be deep it wouldnt shock me if they pass on this position for others if they feel BPA is the best approach for this draft.

Outside of Star contract, which I still have yet to figure out, beane has kept all the contracts to a 2-3 year deal which is a solid structure and the league seems to start trending that way. More guarantees but shorter time tables in which you can quickly get out of it, if they end up sucking. 

I think because they will go BPA approach, that means a WR will be taken. This class is too deep for a guy, or several, to be at the top of their board when they're on the clock.

There is also this comment from Beane will is true for every position, but certainly WR with how below average we are after the top 3 and how readily available guys will be in the draft.

"'Satisfied' and me don't get along too well," he said in February. "I'm always looking for whatever position, tight end, running back, you name it. If it's something that I think will improve our team, whether it's adding leadership, whether it's adding an elite player on the field, whether it's a young guy in the draft, any of those areas I will attack it.

"Competition, I think, brings the best out of guys. I'd rather have too many at one position than not enough."

6 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I think because they will go BPA approach, that means a WR will be taken. This class is too deep for a guy, or several, to be at the top of their board when they're on the clock.

There is also this comment from Beane will is true for every position, but certainly WR with how below average we are after the top 3 and how readily available guys will be in the draft.

BPA is definitely the approach but I wouldnt say that WR is too deep to not be at the top of their board, I dont see it being definitive. I think it is more likely as one of the day 3 picks unless someone falls that was not likely to happen such as a guy like higgins jefferson or Shenalt IF they fall to the bills at 54 but I do not want them to reach for one. I do like Claypool and pittman jr those wouldnt be bad moves but if someone who is a fringe 1st rd pick falls to them at 54 and is a different position I would prefer that and settle for a wr day 3 while taking a RB in the 3rd rd. From what is being said by Media during discussions with Beane earlier today it sounded like he was not impressive with the wr corps that would be available and said the guys that they were interested in would involve moving up and giving up more then what it took for Diggs, so they got their 1st rd wr by trading for him. I heard earlier that the bills came away unimpressed with Clemson Pro Day "Higgins" and that is when they decided to pursue other options at this position. They were interested in Emmanuel Sanders, who wanted to have the night to think about it. Beane found out that Diggs was available 30 minutes later and that is when Beane pounced on him. 

To me the top 3 positions I could see the bills going that is ahead of WR is 1 Rb, 2 CB2, and 3 DE. Like WR these positions do not have long term options and they could use some youth in this area. 

I am with yeah on everything you said @soflbillsfan. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Shenault and Higgins both fall the 3rd. I also heard the Bills contacted Minnesota about Diggs at the trade deadline last year. Feel like we would have won the division had the Vikings moved him then. 

I feel like this off-season has lined up for us to go anywhere at 54. Outside of a QB, Punter and Kicker no position we draft would surprise me. Jeremy Chinn and Kyle Dugger are the current popular choices for Buffalo on twitter and some media.