Offseason Talk

soflbillsfan

Just now, Billsfaninptown said:

Clowney had his worst season of his career last year minus his rookie season. Three sacks isn't worth paying a guy 18-20 million per season. I would rather pay Lawson a third or half of what Clowney is going to get and then draft an edge rusher in the first couple of rounds and save 8-10 million compared to what Clowney is going to get. I hope he just re-signs with the Seahawks so we can end this discussion.

@soflbillsfan thinks that's a incredible idea.. 20 million a year is a bargain over the 10-12 million a year Lawson is gonna get

On 1/17/2020 at 7:48 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

@soflbillsfan thinks that's a incredible idea.. 20 million a year is a bargain over the 10-12 million a year Lawson is gonna get

Clowney is a top caliber guy talent wise shaq is not. You can see this year of 3 sacks is meh but realistically he didnt sign with the seahawks until a week before the season to learn a completely new defense. Shaq has been around for 4 years and this year was his best and still wasnt even close to a top 20 pass rusher. Not to mention both play different positions this year. Clowney plays Murphy spot (LDE) the one who doesnt traditionally rush the passer where shaqs only job was to. Continue to hype up shaq but if Yannick is available I would pay that man 20 mil and let shaq walk in a heartbeat at RDE. If they cant land Yannick then Clowney should be the next man up as someone who can seal off the leftside cause murphy blows. Then go after the other side in the draft depending who they sign.

Edited by soflbillsfan

I was reading from a football source on twitter that the Bills will be one of the teams interested in going after Yannick if a deal with Jax doesn't get worked out beforehand. If we did go with this, I could see a potential 4-5 year deal for him. Allows him to make some great money now while also being able to cash in on another good contract when he's about 30 years old. And at the same time doesn't tie us down with a guy for 6-7 years.

11 hours ago, DER10N92 said:

I was reading from a football source on twitter that the Bills will be one of the teams interested in going after Yannick if a deal with Jax doesn't get worked out beforehand. If we did go with this, I could see a potential 4-5 year deal for him. Allows him to make some great money now while also being able to cash in on another good contract when he's about 30 years old. And at the same time doesn't tie us down with a guy for 6-7 years.

If Yannick does get free, I would be shocked, as I could see them franchise tagging him as they have no one else of importance to use it on, and I know they have stated this is top priority. Lets say they do no re-sign him and he hits the open market its going to be $20 mil a year. Last offseason he broke contract talks with Jax because they wouldn't budge above 18 mil. I think a 5 year 100 mil with 50-60 guaranteed is going to get the job done to get him in Buffalo. This also means shaq will hit the open market and Hughes will likely be gone after 2020 season. 

Edited by soflbillsfan

On 2020-01-20 at 2:25 PM, soflbillsfan said:

Clowney is a top caliber guy talent wise shaq is not. You can see this year of 3 sacks is meh but realistically he didnt sign with the seahawks until a week before the season to learn a completely new defense. Shaq has been around for 4 years and this year was his best and still wasnt even close to a top 20 pass rusher. Not to mention both play different positions this year. Clowney plays Murphy spot (LDE) the one who doesnt traditionally rush the passer where shaqs only job was to. Continue to hype up shaq but if Yannick is available I would pay that man 20 mil and let shaq walk in a heartbeat at RDE. If they cant land Yannick then Clowney should be the next man up as someone who can seal off the leftside cause murphy blows. Then go after the other side in the draft depending who they sign.

Ok fair point on Clowney but how come you discredit Lawson for learning a new system while hurt the entire season year 1 than discredit him again playing hurt year 2 ? 

Again confused by your logic but anyways past it. It's a much higher % of Lawson staying than Clowney coming so no need to continue on. Especially when sacks are your do all, say all when judging DE's 

Also it's extremely rare that any regime will move on from a quality player who is settled with franchise to bring in a FA at same position who will not only be much more expensive but comes with a grocery list of injury concerns. Especially a veteran defensive team leader like Lawson.

Let's not forget how much McBeane emphasize leadership and we're loosing one of the best in Zo

21 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Bradlee Anae making himself some money today. He would be a great fit and could be available at 22. If his stock continues to rise he'll push someone else down the board. Win-win.

He definitely had a solid day yesterday, but it also had to do with a weak performance on the Texas Tech LT he just looked lost every snap he played whether it was anae or another pass rusher. Anae had a solid week of practice from what has been discussed. Even after yesterday media is still projecting him a mid 2nd to early 3rd. I would be surprised if he was drafted in the 1st round but anything is possible after watching Oakland take Ferrel at 4 last year. 

3 minutes ago, Yibbyl said:

You guys seen this? Interesting read. Over the past 2 weeks I've come to agree that resigning Spain needs to be our first order of business.

https://unfilteredsportsnetwork.com/unfiltered-gms-buffalo-bills/

yea I read that article and agree with most of the stuff they say. I have been saying  for a couple weeks now that Spain should be bills top priority. He not only played 99.4% of snaps with out a sack it also assisted Dawkins in getting better at the LT position. To me the LT and LG are on the same page can allow an oline to thrive as we saw last year we do not want to lose guys that can protect allen. I also like the idea of bringing waddle back, he may have not been able to play but he knows the play book and would be able to compete for the RT position. Continuation on that oline is one of the key factors to the success for this offense. I think letting both Phillips and shaq test the open market is key, some people may want to resign one or both but they may think they can land far more lucrative deals with other teams. Let them see their worth then either match it or let them walk. I still want Yannick and Hooper as the top 2 FA targets but will settle for Clowney, and then shaq if neither make it to Buffalo.

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

yea I read that article and agree with most of the stuff they say. I have been saying  for a couple weeks now that Spain should be bills top priority. He not only played 99.4% of snaps with out a sack it also assisted Dawkins in getting better at the LT position. To me the LT and LG are on the same page can allow an O-line to thrive as we saw last year we do not want to lose guys that can protect allen. I also like the idea of bringing waddle back, he may have not been able to play but he knows the play book and would be able to compete for the RT position. Continuation on that oline is one of the key factors to the success for this offense. I think letting both Phillips and shaq test the open market is key, some people may want to resign one or both but they may think they can land far more lucrative deals with other teams. Let them see their worth then either match it or let them walk. I still want Yannick and Hooper as the top 2 FA targets but will settle for Clowney, and then shaq if neither make it to Buffalo.

Yeah, your mention of Spain earlier in the year reminded me that I usually put a very high value on the trenches...even before addressing "playmakers". We need to keep that OL as good as it can be or else we will absolutely see Josh taking a step backwards next season. IMO, he simply hasn't shown that he can consistently handle pressure effectively at least at this point in his career. The playoffs especially brought that point to the forefront.

Phillips is simply going to want more money than I think our FO can justify. I already have just assumed he won't be on our team next year. I feel bad for him. He totally deserved a Pro Bowl invite and that would have helped him at the negotiating table this off-season. My guess is he feels the same way and will have a chip on his shoulder. All that will just drive up his expected asking price IMO. So, again, in my mind, he is gone...hopefully to a NFC team so we don't face him much!

I'd offer Shaq a contract. Defending the run was one of our weaknesses the past season and that is something he actually does excel at. His value in a DL rotation justifies an offer IMO. He might not get the offer he wants, but then again, maybe the feeling of "family" our players have repeatedly stated was a plus here in Buffalo will factor into his decision on whether to accept a low-moderate contract.

As for that article, the parts I disagreed with were Foster and Perry. I just think there will be equivalent alternatives for less money...especially with Foster. Two years ago when he got called out and demoted, he responded. That didn't happen this year and I never heard anything linking that drop off to some sort of injury. In my mind, that's a signal that he just doesn't have the competitive drive to take the next step and maintain that intensity. I suspect he ends up with a career bouncing around the NFL in obscurity or maybe even ends up a star in the CFL. Sucks because he was my choice for Adopt-a-Bill this past year...even though we didn't do it on this board for some reason. As for Perry, I want any ST player who doubles as a RB to actually prove he is worthy of getting 1-2 offensive snaps at least every other game. Obviously, Perry wasn't that guy. Surely some rookie on the cheap can replace him.

Also, though not addressed in the article, I think some discussion needs to be about Bojorquez. I saw a lot of comments in our forum this past season about his inconsistency and how he should be let go. He certainly frustrated me with some poorly timed bad punts. Even this article mentions that Beane values all 3 aspects of the game. ST needs to be scrutinized more than just looking at returners and gunners. Both of Bojorquez's average and net average punt distances ranked 29th and he also put up the 4th most touchbacks. On the flip side, he was the 10th best punter at pinning teams inside the 20 yard line. That last stat seems to contradict the others, but I believe his inside the 20 (and even his touchback) stats were bolstered by our excellent D stopping a lot of teams at midfield. I'd bring in competition and keep whoever performed better.