Offseason Talk

soflbillsfan

21 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Seems a little bold with the way numbers are rising but money talks and these owners don't want to lose a season. 

Well you have MLS, NBA, MLB, and NHL all starting back up even though no fans are allowed in the next couple of weeks I do not see why this would impact the NFL. With out getting to political on here it comes down to the Government, right now they are trying to jump start the economy so that it looks better for Elections come November. If a season in the NFL can't operate thousands of people are out of jobs and I am not talking about coaches and players, I am talking about concession people, employees working around the stadium, parking etc. It will hurt the players, coaches, and owners as well but these people rely on this job for them during that time of year. It also involves die hard fans who are fortunate enough to make it to the games, including travel and other expenses that are involved when they do not live in the city they are fans of. On top of that merchandise will be put at a halt so factories and stores that sell the apparel will also be out of jobs. Not to mention broadcasting and the people involved in that. As of right now majority of the country is opening everything back up so why should it be any different for a fan to sit in a stadium if they are sitting in a plane, sitting in a restaurant where some are allowing full capacity, beaches, heck even amusement parks like Disney are opening up next month. I think the people in charge of looking out for our safety in the US completely botched the entire situation from the beginning so it is now here and it isn't going anywhere any time soon. People just have to be smart and willing to do there part by following the rules. As much as I dislike Goodell I think he has been handling this fairly well, by saying attendance is based on the State and the country the team is in on whether fans will be able to attend or not and the amount. He then added that 6-8 rows at the front will be banners, which will then prevent fans interacting with the players celebration or signings during warm ups are going to not be able to be involved this year. Goodell and co along with the NFLPA should get something agreed on when it comes to insurance for players who get COVID in case it is career ending for them like the MLB just finally agreed on, that way players would feel more comfortable. I also think the players and coaching staff should look at a voting on whether or not they are comfortable with fans in the stadiums.

On top of that Oakley and other companies are trying to add a face guard to protect their noses, eyes, and mouths from spreading germs, something that is partly enclosed but air can still flow through the bottom or top 

IMO I think they need to also cut preseason in half, they already let the HoF game go it should let 2 more go. Have the starters play a qtr in one game and a qtr-half in the 2nd game then give the backups the ability to show case themselves the other times. I mean honestly the HoF game at most you see some starters play 1 series and sit out but majority dont even play in that game. Then week 1 of preseason the teams usually have starters do 1 drive or 2 and thats it, week 2 its a qtr, week 3 its a half, week 4 all back ups. So why mess around and risk getting COVID when they can cut it in half and have no fans allowed at those games.

Edited by soflbillsfan
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Well you have MLS, NBA, MLB, and NHL all starting back up even though no fans are allowed in the next couple of weeks I do not see why this would impact the NFL.

I don't know about all of them but isn't the NHL doing hub cities for their games and MLB is doing hub locations for spring training? Seems worriesome that 9 Blue Jays players have tested positive and they had to shut down their training. There are some other teams with positive cases too.

My fear, or the reason I think the NFL saying camp will go on as normal is what happens if 10 Panthers players and 13 Eagles and 3 Bengals players/staff members test positive. How long do they have to shut down for and do a full scale clean? Doesn't that put them at a competitive disadvantage? There is also the logistical issue some teams will face, Buffalo included, where anyone travelling from certain states will have to quarantine for 14 days. Meaning some of these players will be needing to leave soon.

I still see a season happening. At least starting and having no fans in most cases. But the logistical issues and policies set up for when players or teams are directly affected by Covid will be interesting to follow. 

14 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I don't know about all of them but isn't the NHL doing hub cities for their games and MLB is doing hub locations for spring training? Seems worriesome that 9 Blue Jays players have tested positive and they had to shut down their training. There are some other teams with positive cases too.

My fear, or the reason I think the NFL saying camp will go on as normal is what happens if 10 Panthers players and 13 Eagles and 3 Bengals players/staff members test positive. How long do they have to shut down for and do a full scale clean? Doesn't that put them at a competitive disadvantage? There is also the logistical issue some teams will face, Buffalo included, where anyone travelling from certain states will have to quarantine for 14 days. Meaning some of these players will be needing to leave soon.

I still see a season happening. At least starting and having no fans in most cases. But the logistical issues and policies set up for when players or teams are directly affected by Covid will be interesting to follow. 

Yes the NBA and MLS are playing in Orlando but that is because they have no time and wanted to get the season done, less red tape when you have one area willing to do it then 30 cities. The NFL still is preparing for everything so they can move on from worrying about one location where other sports do not have that option. Nascar and Golf are also back to and doing there thing. Every season the NFL faces disadvantages when a player goes down with injury or in those rare cases Mono (cough cough Sam Darnold) but that shouldn't impact whether or not a season should be played. Yes if the bills lose a guy like Allen to COVID it would definitely put a damper on the season. As for Quarantine for 14 days I believe they will have certain privileges that regular people do not. The NFL has resources, such as team doctors to be able to have every single player and coach tested on a daily basis. I think the only issue you are going to have is, will the player want to be around his family at the time of the season if they risk getting the virus and passing it on to their love ones, or their love ones pass it on to them. Some players are not a fan of deciding whether or not they want to be around family but they are making millions so they have to decide to be away from family for a short period of time to make money that no other job would be able to offer them or to stay at home and skip as season.Thats why I think the players need to vote on certain things well before the expected season to start. I have had the covid test done for preventative worries and it only requires a swab up the nose, I am sure they can offer this to all personnel every week and do daily temp checks to make sure they aren't showing any symptoms of it. As for shutting down it is 2 weeks however players are being tested now which is why these results are coming to light so they have time to get rid of it before TC. I am sure the NFL and each organization has a plan set for any members who get COVID by having a designated quarantine area for them before the start of the season and to hope they do not get it during the season. We can play the what if game all day long but it is a positive thing to see other sports starting back up even if its limited and to see that the NFL Commissioner say that everything is scheduled for TC and a regular season to start on time, just like he said that FA and Draft would have no problem being done at the correct time. We will see but we got to think positive about it and hope Goodell and Co are right and the season plays on. It is just a matter of whether or not the State/County chose to allow fans in the stadiums or not. 

7 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

If Cam returns to MVP form I’ll agree with you lol.

But he is more likely done because of that shoulder than any resurrection IMO

He had plenty of time to heal on that shoulder he may not be 2016-2017 Cam but he will definitely be better then Stidham and Hoyer. It is a low risk high reward and with it being a 1 year deal Cam is going to go hard to get another big contract come next offseason whether it is with the Pats or another team. Just don't get why other teams who need a qb sit back and not bring this guy in to compete for starting job and let the Pats come in and pick him up. Its a vet min essentially with incentives based on playing time, wouldnt you want to bring him in to face a guy like Gardner Minshew in Jax? Chargers have Tyrod, and rookie, maybe they dont want competition but he would be an upgrade to tyrod. 

Not to mention the other news that came out after caught redhanded videoing Bengals call plays they get a measly 1.1 mil fine and a 3rd rd taken away from them. I think it is safe to say that the bills need to go cheat because it is clearly better to win games by cheating every year with constant slaps on the wrist then it is to play a clean game.  Videoing Bengals, and Jets that were caught who knows how many other teams they video'd. They have had several issues in the past and every time Goodell and co just say you lose a nonessential draft pick and a small fine. Belichick will continue to do stuff like that if the risk is minimal.

8 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

He had plenty of time to heal on that shoulder he may not be 2016-2017 Cam but he will definitely be better then Stidham and Hoyer. It is a low risk high reward and with it being a 1 year deal Cam is going to go hard to get another big contract come next offseason whether it is with the Pats or another team. Just don't get why other teams who need a qb sit back and not bring this guy in to compete for starting job and let the Pats come in and pick him up. Its a vet min essentially with incentives based on playing time, wouldnt you want to bring him in to face a guy like Gardner Minshew in Jax? Chargers have Tyrod, and rookie, maybe they dont want competition but he would be an upgrade to tyrod.

The shoulder injury is from 2018. He didn't have surgery until January 2019 and it still wasn't right the brief time he played last season. His mechanics are a mess because of his foot injury, not that they were great before anyway. I agree that other teams should have been in on him but the Patriots QB room is still a mess and a major question mark. 

• 2 weeks later...

I still know it is a long shot but the bills still have 20 mil in cap before any cuts. I really wish they went and got Clowney on a 1 year 15 mil deal as it seems like the only real team interested in him is Seattle and even they do not want to pay him to much. If they cut Murphy and sign Clowney it is only a 7 mil difference that still puts the bills at 13 mil plus other cuts like Lee Smith and Hauschka as both seem to be on the bubble. It would be able to get an idea of what he can do in McDermotts defense and could be a long term piece if he works out. Plus he may like the idea since the bills defense has been solid with him at coach. As days go on more and more teams seem to not be interested such as Tennessee and Cleveland. I think Vegas is interested but who knows what they want. He has way more potential then what Murphy has to offer, and murphy looks like he is on the bubble. Espenesa isn't a lock to start so why not try him out for a year and if he stinks then you move on if he plays to the #1 pick potential then you can lock him up long term as Hughes and addison wont be there beyond 2021 season. Which means one less position to worry about when 2021 offseason starts.

Edited by soflbillsfan