Chargers TE Antonio Gates retires

RaidersAreOne

On 1/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, Tyty said:

I was just making a joke, at any point in the last 5 years if he announced his retirement, I wouldn’t have been surprised. And speaking of which, once 47 y/o Adam Vinatieri officially hangs em up, my heart will be shattered 

Didn't he have a pretty bad injury about 10 years ago,  or am I confusing him with Merriman????

On 1/14/2020 at 11:34 AM, RuskieTitan said:

Surprised he walked away on his own terms. Sort of expected him to linger around unwanted and unsigned. Good for him. He was an excellent tight end and was one of the faces of the Chargers. Not having a ring could hurt his Hall of Fame chances, but he should still be able to get in eventually.

Interesting fact: Gates played basketball in college and never played college football!

Such a weird take. You really think Gates is borderline HOFer and not a sure fire HOFer? 

On 1/16/2020 at 3:47 PM, Piquel said:

Didn't he have a pretty bad injury about 10 years ago,  or am I confusing him with Merriman????

He got injured against the Titans in the playoffs. It really messed up his leg and took a long time for him to ever truly recover. He still was crazy good. Just nowhere near his pre 2007 self.

44 minutes ago, Xenos said:

He got injured against the Titans in the playoffs. It really messed up his leg and took a long time for him to ever truly recover. He still was crazy good. Just nowhere near his pre 2007 self.

I thought there was something where retiring then wasn't out of the question. 

One of my favorite football moments was a few years ago,  an old slow DJ chasing an old slow Gates in the end zone for the game.  It was like slow motion replay of all the epic matchups between the two.

Gates had our # until we learned to put 11 guys guarding him on 3rd downs.

Edited by Piquel
  • Like 2