RaidersAreOne

Chargers TE Antonio Gates retires

I’m not gonna call him the GOAT, but I’d have him in the top 5 TE’s all time.  Great player, all time great Charger and sure Fire Hall of Famer. Awesome career, especially considering entering the league as an UDFA

Has to be one of the greatest UDFA guys ever. I think people kind of underrate just how good Gates was in his prime. Unfortunate injuries hampered his career late. 

• Like 1

I wanted to come in and pay my respects to the Chargers fans. 

Antonio Gates, imho, was the best TE to ever play this game. He never played in college, signed as a UDFA, went on to have an amazing career, put his team first. He is a LOCK as a 1st Ballot HOFer. Congrats guys on being a part of another great players history.

I am honored to be old enough to have watched his entire career. Amazing person, Amazing Player.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I wanted to come in and pay my respects to the Chargers fans. 

Antonio Gates, imho, was the best TE to ever play this game. He never played in college, signed as a UDFA, went on to have an amazing career, put his team first. He is a LOCK as a 1st Ballot HOFer. Congrats guys on being a part of another great players history.

I am honored to be old enough to have watched his entire career. Amazing person, Amazing Player.

I could not put it in better words, for a man who basically learned from scratch to play the position he did it better than basically everyone except maybe prime Tony G or the "Gronk".

• Like 2

To be fair, did he really “retire”? Or did the organization just say, “we’re good, stay home”?

still one of my favourite chargers tho!