OBJ hands out fake cash after game: I guess he's trying to make a point/Also charged with Simple Assault for a butt slap

HDsportsfan

14 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

That these players deserve to get something. The coach got a $500K for winning yesterday.

They do get something. Scholarship. Some of these schools that amounts to tens of thousands of dollars per year.

Then look at what is provided to them. Tutors for school. State of the art weight facilities, nutritional intake, and essentially professional body building from teenagers into young men. All of this costs money, and the player pays $0.00 out of pocket. I could be mistaken, but I believe I read an article that stated, when breaking down all of the costs associated with running a football program and providing equipment, coaching, and assistance comes out to roughly $110k per player per year. And that's not to mention this provides them with an opportunity to interview in a career field that could pay them hundreds of thousands, into the millions, of dollars, right out of school.

But sure, let's pretend they don't get anything.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

They do get something. Scholarship. Some of these schools that amounts to tens of thousands of dollars per year.

Then look at what is provided to them. Tutors for school. State of the art weight facilities, nutritional intake, and essentially professional body building from teenagers into young men. All of this costs money, and the player pays $0.00 out of pocket. I could be mistaken, but I believe I read an article that stated, when breaking down all of the costs associated with running a football program and providing equipment, coaching, and assistance comes out to roughly $110k per player per year. And that's not to mention this provides them with an opportunity to interview in a career field that could pay them hundreds of thousands, into the millions, of dollars, right out of school.

But sure, let's pretend they don't get anything.

How much money do you think LSU made?

When properly accounted for, the vast majority of athletic departments operate in the red. They make a lot of money, but expend even more. They need boosters, money from tuition, etc. to remain solvent.

I do think they should be able to profit from their likeness using whatever legal manner they can, but if they get paid, you'd most likely have to spend the same amount compensating the female athletes at the school.

Edited by Tetsujin
  • Like 1

Odell is overrated and I never wanted him anywhere near my team. Was always #2 diva next to Brown. Now his divaness is coming out cause he’s comfortable in Cleveland. 

This wasn’t all that bad but it will get worse. It’s always about Odell. 

8 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Yet coaches are paid millions off the labour of these “athletes”.

Irrelevant. Market sets the rates. High School Football in Texas is pretty big, and I'm sure some coaches make major bank. Shall we start paying high school students now?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Irrelevant. Market sets the rates. High School Football in Texas is pretty big, and I'm sure some coaches make major bank. Shall we start paying high school students now?

How many high school games are shown on national TV or in 20 other countries.

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 2

Just now, CriminalMind said:

How many high school games are shown on national TV 

You keep bringing up irrelevant items associated with college football that are unrelated to paying the players. If you want to do that, make it a professional league and contract bylaws. Otherwise, you can accept your scholarship and receive benefits associated to your participation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Irrelevant in amateur sports.

The code of amateurism in college sports was coined by Walter Byers (The first NCAA president) - Byers would later go onto write a book “Unsportsmanlike Conduct: Exploiting College Athletes”, in which he tears down everything he had spent his life building, in particular, Byers examines how the code of amateurism couldn’t possibly exist in the economic climate of college athletics today. 

Not the place for this argument, but hiding behind “amateurism” in defense of the NCAA is the most ridiculous and obsolete take you could have on the matter IMO.

• Like 5