OBJ hands out fake cash after game: I guess he's trying to make a point/Also charged with Simple Assault for a butt slap

HDsportsfan

Just now, Bolts223 said:

I’m not disputing that they get some pretty nice perks. But for most of these players, the ones that aren’t going to have sustained careers of making millions in the NFL, I’m sure they would rather just be paid an amount that is fair for what they are helping bring into their school revenue wise than they would be getting some insanely cool sleep pod for 4-years.

no doubt, my point was that these football programs rake in cash for these schools. They spent 28 million dollars remodeling a locker room. They are a public university lol 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I’m not disputing that they get some pretty nice perks. But for most of these players, the ones that aren’t going to have sustained careers of making millions in the NFL, I’m sure they would rather just be paid an amount that is fair for what they are helping bring into their school revenue wise than they would be getting some insanely cool sleep pod for 4-years.

But how much money is owed to the one's who won't ever make it to the NFL? It's the future stars that pull the crowds, after all. Do they all get paid the same? Should Reggie Bush have been paid as much as the kicker for Appalachian State? If they're not all being paid the same, are they negotiating contracts? Who with? The college? EA sports? Will college teams have salary caps?

Will NCAA athletes unionise and equally split the EA Sports money? Do you think the star players would ever be happy taking the same as everyone else when they are pulling in the revenue?

My problem with this argument is it's specific, and influenced by scale, rather than a rational principle. People see all the money floating around college football, and think "the players should get some of it", without thiinking about the wider implications.

We would never consider that college-level debate teams or orchestras or theatre performers be paid money for performing, especially if those students are on scholarships. Performing is how you pay back the institution that has educated, housed and provided you with equipment. Plus, you get four years to "audition" for a job.  If you want to start paying players, then you have to tear up the scholarship programs and start spending that money somewhere else, like on poor kids who want to be doctors.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Odell is not more popular than Mahomes, Jackson, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and I doubt he’s even more popular than his own QB. Odell was only 15th in jersey sales this season. Baker was 4th. Odell also was not even in the Top 20 Google Searched Players during the season. 

He was popular in a big market. Giant fans aren’t use to having good players on their team. 

First off, Jersey sales is not a good measure to determine somebody’s popularity. Odells last year in NY, Saquon had more sales yet you’d be out of your mind to think Saquon was more popular and is recognised/known than Odell. He has by far the most followers on social media amongst nfl players and it’s not close. 

Secondly, Odell’s brand and name transcends football. Only player with a shoe deal, if im not mistaken. He’s known worldwide. Odell is the NFL biggest face. Like it or not. In a sport where players faces aren’t recognised outside their respective teams fan base, he recognised everywhere.

Edited by Kip Smithers

6 hours ago, N4L said:

That's why the giants sent him to Cleveland and not San Francisco

They were mad about the josina Anderson interview where he said he liked warm weather 

No matter, giants potentially could have had NICK ****ING BOSA with a pick swap but they didn't even sit down at the negotiating table with the niners. So, joke's on them. 

How's that Dave gettleman rebuild coming along? 

I guarantee that John Lynch, unlike some 49ers fans, wasn’t dumb enough to offer the #2 overall pick for OBJ.  

Cleveland overpaid for him. Gettleman was criticized for the trade, but the guy he drafted with that pick just made PFW’s all rookie team. 

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

I guarantee that John Lynch, unlike some 49ers fans, wasn’t dumb enough to offer the #2 overall pick for OBJ.  

Cleveland overpaid for him. Gettleman was criticized for the trade, but the guy he drafted with that pick just made PFW’s all rookie team. 

Gettleman never even came to the negotiating table with the niners. We approached him and he said the only way the deal would happen would be straight up for the #2 pick because he wanted an additional first. We said the only way we would consider would be a pick swap. The deal died right there. It may not have happened anyway, but gettleman shut down any negotiations prematurely considering how valuable the #2 pick was. 

45 minutes ago, N4L said:

Gettleman never even came to the negotiating table with the niners. We approached him and he said the only way the deal would happen would be straight up for the #2 pick because he wanted an additional first. We said the only way we would consider would be a pick swap. The deal died right there. It may not have happened anyway, but gettleman shut down any negotiations prematurely considering how valuable the #2 pick was. 

That's what I've heard as well, and I can appreciate that from both sides.

I don't see what's wrong with giving college kids a percentage of profits. Everyone knows that certain front-butt men are stuffing their fried chicken grease pockets with hundreds of thousands (millions?) of dollars; So why is it out of this world to think that the students providing the entertainment  (i.e. source content) can't also have a small chunk of change?

18 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

They do get something. Scholarship. Some of these schools that amounts to tens of thousands of dollars per year.

Then look at what is provided to them. Tutors for school. State of the art weight facilities, nutritional intake, and essentially professional body building from teenagers into young men. All of this costs money, and the player pays $0.00 out of pocket. I could be mistaken, but I believe I read an article that stated, when breaking down all of the costs associated with running a football program and providing equipment, coaching, and assistance comes out to roughly $110k per player per year. And that's not to mention this provides them with an opportunity to interview in a career field that could pay them hundreds of thousands, into the millions, of dollars, right out of school.

But sure, let's pretend they don't get anything.

True, but, like... they don't actually have any money from all of this.

7 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

But how much money is owed to the one's who won't ever make it to the NFL? It's the future stars that pull the crowds, after all. Do they all get paid the same? Should Reggie Bush have been paid as much as the kicker for Appalachian State? If they're not all being paid the same, are they negotiating contracts? Who with? The college? EA sports? Will college teams have salary caps?

Will NCAA athletes unionise and equally split the EA Sports money? Do you think the star players would ever be happy taking the same as everyone else when they are pulling in the revenue?

My problem with this argument is it's specific, and influenced by scale, rather than a rational principle. People see all the money floating around college football, and think "the players should get some of it", without thiinking about the wider implications.

We would never consider that college-level debate teams or orchestras or theatre performers be paid money for performing, especially if those students are on scholarships. Performing is how you pay back the institution that has educated, housed and provided you with equipment. Plus, you get four years to "audition" for a job.  If you want to start paying players, then you have to tear up the scholarship programs and start spending that money somewhere else, like on poor kids who want to be doctors.

I get what you are saying but my rebuttal to that is a) Just because you are a star in college that draws fans does not mean you will make it in the NFL. b) Id rather see the profits of what college football draws go to these kids and their families who often are not from very wealthy backgrounds than I would some already rich executives inside an NCAA office and C) None of the other types of students you mentioned are bringing in even a fraction of the revenue to their schools as football does. Not a great comparison. 

5 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

True, but, like... they don't actually have any money from all of this.

Wrong. First off, every college program provides stipends that range from $2,000 to $5,000 a year, with some schools offering more. That is real money to buy whatever they want.

Then you look at the fact that their housing is provided. Food is provided. Gear is given to them. Some bowls give additional gifts - OBJ himself gifted wireless headsets to every player. All of their needs are provided for, and the stipend is for anything extra that they might want.

Just because they aren't given tens of thousands of dollars in cold hard cash that would need to be spent on food, housing, tuition, and other needs that college students face, doesn't mean they aren't getting the value of those things. They are simply cutting out the middle transaction of converting cash into whatever. And again, they still get thousands of dollars each year to spend on whatever they choose.

1 minute ago, RuskieTitan said:

Wrong. First off, every college program provides stipends that range from $2,000 to $5,000 a year, with some schools offering more. That is real money to buy whatever they want.

Then you look at the fact that their housing is provided. Food is provided. Gear is given to them. Some bowls give additional gifts - OBJ himself gifted wireless headsets to every player. All of their needs are provided for, and the stipend is for anything extra that they might want.

Just because they aren't given tens of thousands of dollars in cold hard cash that would need to be spent on food, housing, tuition, and other needs that college students face, doesn't mean they aren't getting the value of those things. They are simply cutting out the middle transaction of converting cash into whatever. And again, they still get thousands of dollars each year to spend on whatever they choose.

it was in jest

• Like 1