OBJ hands out fake cash after game: I guess he's trying to make a point/Also charged with Simple Assault for a butt slap

HDsportsfan

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

it was in jest

1 hour ago, RuskieTitan said:

Just because they aren't given tens of thousands of dollars in cold hard cash that would need to be spent on food, housing, tuition, and other needs that college students face, doesn't mean they aren't getting the value of those things. They are simply cutting out the middle transaction of converting cash into whatever. And again, they still get thousands of dollars each year to spend on whatever they choose.

Jest aside... value isn't the same thing as "dollars in cold hard cash". Yeah, expenses are paid for, buuuuh like, cold hard dollars can be used as direct investments however someone chooses whereas compensation in the form of a meal plan, rental property, school lessons, and a relatively small stipend/allowance does not.

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Jest aside... value isn't the same thing as "dollars in cold hard cash". Yeah, expenses are paid for, buuuuh like, cold hard dollars can be used as direct investments however someone chooses whereas compensation in the form of a meal plan, rental property, school lessons, and a relatively small stipend/allowance does not.

If college football were to remove scholarships for football players and have them be responsible for the expenses of tuition, housing, and meal plan themselves, and receive a larger stipend, I don't have a problem. I'm certain that teenagers and young men will be financially responsible for taking care of their necessary needs and not frivolously waste money. But for them to have their cake and eat it too? Ridiculous. 

• Like 1

LSU’s Joe Burrow says Browns’ Odell Beckham handed him REAL money following national title game

Big Cat: Did Odell give you money?

Burrow: Umm… yeah. I’m not a student-athlete anymore, so I can say yeah.

Big Cat: Yeah, that’s sick. He was just handing out cash? I was just thinking it would have been awesome if Odell just printed fake money as just a flex.

Burrow: With like his face on it?

Mr. Cat: Yeah, like you try to pay for a drink and… this is Monopoly money. That’s sick that he was just handing out cash. How much cash did he bring?

Joe Burrow: I don’t know.

11 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

But how much money is owed to the one's who won't ever make it to the NFL? It's the future stars that pull the crowds, after all. Do they all get paid the same? Should Reggie Bush have been paid as much as the kicker for Appalachian State? If they're not all being paid the same, are they negotiating contracts? Who with? The college? EA sports? Will college teams have salary caps?

Will NCAA athletes unionise and equally split the EA Sports money? Do you think the star players would ever be happy taking the same as everyone else when they are pulling in the revenue?

My problem with this argument is it's specific, and influenced by scale, rather than a rational principle. People see all the money floating around college football, and think "the players should get some of it", without thiinking about the wider implications.

We would never consider that college-level debate teams or orchestras or theatre performers be paid money for performing, especially if those students are on scholarships. Performing is how you pay back the institution that has educated, housed and provided you with equipment. Plus, you get four years to "audition" for a job.  If you want to start paying players, then you have to tear up the scholarship programs and start spending that money somewhere else, like on poor kids who want to be doctors.

This is the biggest issue holding this up, IMO.  There's no obvious solution.

I don't know how to get the athletes a fair cut of the revenue the school is making on them.  But one thing i'd outlaw today is the silly notion that these guys can't profit from their likeness or endorsements.  I can't think of a good reason why a star college athlete couldn't be sponsored by Nike.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Wrong. First off, every college program provides stipends that range from $2,000 to $5,000 a year, with some schools offering more. That is real money to buy whatever they want.

Then you look at the fact that their housing is provided. Food is provided. Gear is given to them. Some bowls give additional gifts - OBJ himself gifted wireless headsets to every player. All of their needs are provided for, and the stipend is for anything extra that they might want.

Just because they aren't given tens of thousands of dollars in cold hard cash that would need to be spent on food, housing, tuition, and other needs that college students face, doesn't mean they aren't getting the value of those things. They are simply cutting out the middle transaction of converting cash into whatever. And again, they still get thousands of dollars each year to spend on whatever they choose.

I love how you skipped two pages of good rebuttals to your comments to reply to the obvious jokey post.

30 minutes ago, theJ said:

I don't know how to get the athletes a fair cut of the revenue the school is making on them.  But one thing i'd outlaw today is the silly notion that these guys can't profit from their likeness or endorsements.  I can't think of a good reason why a star college athlete couldn't be sponsored by Nike.

That's a slippery slope though. Who's to say an Endorsement company with strong Ties to a Specific school/program doesn't use that towards said player signing with that College? Knowing said Player will give their Product more Marketing if at ....School? When do Professional Athletes already endorsed from those Companies start recruiting and giving subtle suggestions on where they should attend?

Whether people want to admit it or Most Athletes (Full rides) are getting paid 25-40+K a year with free Lodging, Tuition, Books, Food, Trainers, Ect.

What they should do is make sure every Athlete at those School have Zero College Loans when they leave, which isn't the case for the vast majority, especially in other Sports!

Scholarship count: FBS programs are allowed 85 scholarships on its roster at any given time, and generally can sign up to 25 players per year. Scholarship breakdown: All 85 scholarships are full rides. There are no partial scholarships given in FBS football.

13 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's a slippery slope though. Who's to say an Endorsement company with strong Ties to a Specific school/program doesn't use that towards said player signing with that College? Knowing said Player will give their Product more Marketing if at ....School? When do Professional Athletes already endorsed from those Companies start recruiting and giving subtle suggestions on where they should attend?

Whether people want to admit it or Most Athletes (Full rides) are getting paid 25-40+K a year with free Lodging, Tuition, Books, Food, Trainers, Ect.

What they should do is make sure every Athlete at those School have Zero College Loans when they leave, which isn't the case for the vast majority, especially in other Sports!

None of that sounds truly evil to me.  To some degree, i'm sure it's already happening.  I say, let it happen.

14 hours ago, theJ said:

This is where I'm at.  They get scholarships and all the perks, so schools shouldn't pay them.  But they should be allowed to make money off of their abilities from likeness, as in stipends from video games and being allowed to make commercials for local companies. 

On 1/15/2020 at 6:06 AM, ChazStandard said:

But how much money is owed to the one's who won't ever make it to the NFL? It's the future stars that pull the crowds, after all. Do they all get paid the same? Should Reggie Bush have been paid as much as the kicker for Appalachian State? If they're not all being paid the same, are they negotiating contracts? Who with? The college? EA sports? Will college teams have salary caps?

Will NCAA athletes unionise and equally split the EA Sports money? Do you think the star players would ever be happy taking the same as everyone else when they are pulling in the revenue?

My problem with this argument is it's specific, and influenced by scale, rather than a rational principle. People see all the money floating around college football, and think "the players should get some of it", without thiinking about the wider implications.

We would never consider that college-level debate teams or orchestras or theatre performers be paid money for performing, especially if those students are on scholarships. Performing is how you pay back the institution that has educated, housed and provided you with equipment. Plus, you get four years to "audition" for a job.  If you want to start paying players, then you have to tear up the scholarship programs and start spending that money somewhere else, like on poor kids who want to be doctors.

I personally would love for college athletes to be paid but the points made above are why I think it can’t be done realistically.

In a perfect world sure, but it just isn’t feasible.

And what about Title IX? I just don’t think there is any way to pay college athletes in a way that would satisfy the necessary amount of people.

20 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

I get what you are saying but my rebuttal to that is a) Just because you are a star in college that draws fans does not mean you will make it in the NFL. b) Id rather see the profits of what college football draws go to these kids and their families who often are not from very wealthy backgrounds than I would some already rich executives inside an NCAA office and C) None of the other types of students you mentioned are bringing in even a fraction of the revenue to their schools as football does. Not a great comparison. 

So how would you realistically break up the revenue splits?

Would you tell all the female athletes too bad, no money for you, you don’t bring in any revenue?